The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » What do you call a seance performer? (17 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
MentalistCreationLab
View Profile
Inner circle
1520 Posts

Profile of MentalistCreationLab
First let me say I just finished writing 23907 words 60 pages and did some illustrations for my new manuscript The Secret History of the Seance and on top of that just finished the outline and the lecture notes for my up coming lecture that is set for Jan 4th 2015 and I am wore out.

So if any of this seems a bit bumpy you know why.

I would have to say a séance worker would either be called a séance worker, host as Tony mentioned above referring to the person who is hosting the event or a séance conductor or medium It really all depends on what style and period your performing the séance as.

My personal preference is MEDIUM. Then again one of my acts a very traditional séance circa 1850s. Yeah, we even shoot guns and play other worldly music. Just like they did in the good old days. Now I know that too strong of an act for most of you but its historical accurate if your performing a early spiritualist style of séance that was popularized here in Ohio back in the 1850s that is. Its also the state in which I reside so it seems only fitting to do it the way it was back then.
morgaine_le_fey
View Profile
Veteran user
Montreal, Canada
388 Posts

Profile of morgaine_le_fey
Quote:
On Jul 18, 2014, The Curator wrote:
A Charlatan.

If it's 'entertainment after' dinner, then he's as little/as much a charlatan as a magician doing an ambitious card routine.
If you play it for real, I'd agree with you.
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3800 Posts

Profile of The Curator
A Charlatan, in Africa, isn't an insult. It's a term used to design sorcerers. Charlatan is also a very interesting approach to weird phenomenons because you 'reproduce': a XIXth century seance experience. Your talent, then, consists of making people forget that the seance may have been a forgery. So, it's one of the possible approaches...
jstreiff
View Profile
Special user
702 Posts

Profile of jstreiff
Quote:
On Jul 17, 2014, MRSharpe wrote:
Medium is the traditional title. You can also go with professor or reverend if you don't feel that is misrepresentation. BTW, a seance medium's assistant is called the 'Control' just in case you are looking for that proper name. Assistant has a theatrical ring to it.

In a traditional séance, a control is a purportedly discarnate entity who acts as the medium's intermediary with the spirit world. Examples are 'Phinut' for Mrs. Piper and more recently 'Prof Hans Bender' for Kai Muegge. These identities may or may not be traceable to actual historical figures.
John
steven-gibson
View Profile
Special user
Eastcoastspiritsessions.com
882 Posts

Profile of steven-gibson
Quote:
A Charlatan, in Africa, isn't an insult. It's a term used to design sorcerers. Charlatan is also a very interesting approach to weird phenomenons because you 'reproduce': a XIXth century seance experience. Your talent, then, consists of making people forget that the seance may have been a forgery. So, it's one of the possible approaches...

Very interesting!
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2903 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
Quote:
A Charlatan.

One of my shows was called "The Charlatan's Seance".
steven-gibson
View Profile
Special user
Eastcoastspiritsessions.com
882 Posts

Profile of steven-gibson
Yes Todd Robbins, you should come and do The Charlatan's Seance! that's a great idea!! I remember your ad for that one. It was you wearing a priest looking shirt with a tambourine and spirit trumpet floating over your head. I really wanted to see that. I did see the Mark Twain Centennial Seance you did in CT. That was awesome and of course really loved Play Dead (are you sure I cant buy a DVD copy of that?!)
Al Desmond
View Profile
Inner circle
Secret Mountain Lair in Conifer, Co
1456 Posts

Profile of Al Desmond
How about...

Transfixtionalist
billmarq
View Profile
Special user
State near Arizona
570 Posts

Profile of billmarq
Seantist.
Honi soit quit mal y pense.
Mind Guerrilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Queens, NY
2657 Posts

Profile of Mind Guerrilla
"Hybrid"
reese
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell
1100 Posts

Profile of reese
I think most magicians are materialists. So if you post a belief or (g@d forbid!) an actual experience of the Non-Physical on this forum...you're attacked or mocked. That's cool. Go for it! I was an assistant to a Medium for a few years. I used no contrivances. I understand trickery. Things still happened that made me think " I don't know".... My best to y'all, in all of your experiences.
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3800 Posts

Profile of The Curator
On the Spooky forum, most magicians aren't 'materialists", they're tricksters. Today I woke up, threw a die and make 5. Today I'm a buddhist.
Eddie Garland
View Profile
Inner circle
Hells Kitchen, New York City
4204 Posts

Profile of Eddie Garland
Dice hit Three for me...today I am juggler.
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5107 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
How about Master Steven? Leave the description to them, after the show, and then quote them for the next time.

I did a PR piece once, that had no pictures of me...only pix of audience members reacting. Potential buyers had to make up their own minds about what it was. It got me a lot of work. A lot.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
Darkness
View Profile
Inner circle
1457 Posts

Profile of Darkness
I'm a ghost whisperer. However, I am Darkness, so I naturally whisper in the dark...
reese
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell
1100 Posts

Profile of reese
Quote:
On Jul 20, 2014, The Curator wrote:
On the Spooky forum, most magicians aren't 'materialists", they're tricksters. Today I woke up, threw a die and make 5. Today I'm a buddhist.

Yeah, I'm a faker, a taker... a midnight snaker...Today I rolled a blank die. It came up...blank. I'm a a Chaos Magician! (Very astute Mr. C & Mr. G... I come out of Soto Zen Buddhism and I am a juggler. Coincidence? P'raps. It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing.
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3010 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
Performer: "I'm a Phantasmosist!"

Layman: "Cool...do you sing or what...?"
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
EVILDAN
View Profile
Inner circle
1251 Posts

Profile of EVILDAN
I'm a Ghost Whisperer.
by EVILDAN....
"The Coin Board Book" - moves and routines with the coin panel board. - http://www.lybrary.com/the-coin-board-book-p-827955.html
"SLASHER - A Horror Whodunnit" - a bizarre close-up routine based on Bob Neale's "Sole Survivor."
PM me for more info.
"Zombie Town" - a packet effect about how a small town turned into zombies. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nzJhcoJtyOM
Perkins
View Profile
Special user
888 Posts

Profile of Perkins
"Resurrection Negotiator"
Godzilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Tied & Untied Witches on
5318 Posts

Profile of Godzilla
What do you call a seance performer ?

Broke

If you only do seance ! Smile
"If you watch Godzilla backwards, it's about a big ass lizard who helps rebuild a half burnt-down city, then moonwalks back into the ocean"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » What do you call a seance performer? (17 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL