The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Kudos for great customer service (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

RedDevil
View Profile
Inner circle
Deep South
1160 Posts

Profile of RedDevil
Like many of you, we love the art, and we often spend a good deal of hard earned money to experience it. I read sometimes about poor customer service, but I wanted to share a positive one I experienced lately.

When I spend a good chunk of my money, it means a lot to me that the person I sent the money to recognizes my trust, corresponds with me, and reassures me about the service and delivery. This creates a great deal of loyalty in me, and I have a long memory.

Recently, I ordered a book from Richard Webster (from deceptionary.com kudos to Doug). I sent him my hard-earned money via paypal last week while on vacation, and he immediately sent me a personal email to thank me for purchasing the book and to let me know how and when it was going to be delivered. Five days later, I have a well packaged book. That's the way it ought to happen, and I just wanted to share how much it meant to me. I didn't need to email him at all because he reached out to his customer first, and I was never made to feel guilty or that it was a bother to simply ask for the details that would occur after I sent him a good deal of money.

I don't know Richard at all, but knowing how prevalent and successful he is in the publishing field, I could tell he still remembers that his customers are his lifeline, and that his work won't be fruitful unless people purchase his products. A good lesson for all successful artists who choose to make their living by selling their wares.

I work in customer service every single day, and I admire it when it is done well everywhere I go, whether it is Burger King or doing business in the magic/mentalism community for the last 20 years. I would do business through the Deceptionary.com site and Richard Webster again any time.
F-F-U-L-Ri-F-F-Li-R-U-F-F
insight
View Profile
Inner circle
3095 Posts

Profile of insight
Thanks for sharing, RedDevil! Having done business with Richard Webster, I fully agree. I had a very similar experience. The customer service is truly exceptional.

Regards,
Mike
robwar0100
View Profile
Inner circle
Buy me some newspapers.Purchase for me 1 Gazette and
1748 Posts

Profile of robwar0100
Red Devil,

It is good to hear this. Years ago, I found myself complaining about a lot of things, especially customer service. I figured if I am going to tell business owners and managers when something is wrong, then I need to tell them when something is right. I find myself now complimenting good customer service more than complaining.

Glad you had a great experience. When I was younger, the price point was the important thing. Now, it is customer service.

Bobby
"My definition of chance is my hands on the wheel," Greg Long.
Syndrome
View Profile
Regular user
CANADIAN IMP
165 Posts

Profile of Syndrome
Richard is a wonderful person to deal with. Much gratitude goes out to him for his way of being!
Live well,
Laugh often,
Love always.

"Illusion is the first of all pleasures." -Voltaire (1694-1778)
Seth speaks
View Profile
Inner circle
New Mexico
1168 Posts

Profile of Seth speaks
Have to echo what a wonderful experience every order from Richard has been. On my first order from him ten years ago he even included an incredible out-of-print book (that I still use regularly) as an extra gift to apologize for a shipping delay because he'd been on the road! He makes ordering from him an absolute pleasure...
Stu Montgomery
View Profile
Veteran user
St Petersburg FL
354 Posts

Profile of Stu Montgomery
I wish every dealer treated customers this way! I ordered an effect from a UK dealer two weeks ago paying extra for "special/courier" delivery. One week later, and no delivery I emailed the dealer...receiving a reply two days later (!!!) saying he expects new stock this week. So far, still nothing & no follow up communication! Needless to say, I won't be doing business with this dealer again & staying with Alakazam who've always been excellent! Question now is: when (if) it arrives, do I name & shame?
"Round about what is, lies a whole mysterious world of might be" Longfellow.
Investigative Mentalist
View Profile
Elite user
Seattle, WA
481 Posts

Profile of Investigative Mentalist
While we are patting people on the back, I want to give a shout out to Craig at ProMystic.com

I bought a ParaPad, construction kit and ESP cards. I had some questions before I ordered, so I called him on the phone and he spent 10-15 minutes talking to me and even tossed in some pad refills and a couple extra pens at no charge.

The package was delivered to me 2 business days later.

Great job Craig! I really appreciate it.
RedDevil
View Profile
Inner circle
Deep South
1160 Posts

Profile of RedDevil
Yes, it is great to hear positive stories. Richard took my money and could have responded with silence or brick walls, but it is amazing what one 3 sentence email did to seal the deal for me and give me peace. For the bigger companies that sell more volume like Penguin and L&L, they at least send an automated email that tells me when my product shipped. I like how Penguin does the videos of my stuff being boxed and shipped. It's silly, but it also builds subtle gratitude from me that they made the effort to do it. I'm sure they get inundated with emails and stuff, but they always respond and never make me feel like I am a heel or a bother for asking simple questions about the product I ordered. Especially considering they have received numerous Benjamins from me over the last few years. I think even Ebay gets this concept, as they go out of their way in their model to ensure that customers get good tracking info from the sellers. This is just good business and generates good will. I think customer service is just like anything else; it comes down to the Golden Rule. Kudos again to all those who work this way!
F-F-U-L-Ri-F-F-Li-R-U-F-F
mindhunter
View Profile
Inner circle
Upstate NY
2063 Posts

Profile of mindhunter
I love hearing stories such as this....

It seems most "young" cashiers, be it a gas station or supermarket, at the conclusion of the transaction, look at you, the customer, as if you are supposed to thank THEM. I have gotten in the habit of saying "you're welcome" as I leave whether or not they thank me for my purchase...

There truly are some great folks in this field, and I have been fortunate to have dealt with many over the years....I echo the kudos!

Bryn
"The Safwan Papers" eBook: $30
Please read the many great reviews here at the Cafe:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=253272&forum=15

"THE LOGAR SCROLLS" eBook is also now available ($30)
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=464100&forum=303&70

SPECIAL: "LOGAR" & "SAFWAN PAPERS" Combo Deal: $50

Thanks,
Bryn
cavscout19@hotmail.com (also my PayPal for purchases)
Matt Pulsar
View Profile
Special user
919 Posts

Profile of Matt Pulsar
I second the great customer relations from Mr. Webster. Well posted!
Belief Manifests Reality.
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100014859756312
Palm Star Zodiac Divination System: https://palmstarzodiac.blogspot.com/
TheMentalist314
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of TheMentalist314
Quote:
On Jul 18, 2014, RedDevil wrote:
Yes, it is great to hear positive stories. Richard took my money and could have responded with silence or brick walls, but it is amazing what one 3 sentence email did to seal the deal for me and give me peace. For the bigger companies that sell more volume like Penguin and L&L, they at least send an automated email that tells me when my product shipped. I like how Penguin does the videos of my stuff being boxed and shipped. It's silly, but it also builds subtle gratitude from me that they made the effort to do it. I'm sure they get inundated with emails and stuff, but they always respond and never make me feel like I am a heel or a bother for asking simple questions about the product I ordered. Especially considering they have received numerous Benjamins from me over the last few years. I think even Ebay gets this concept, as they go out of their way in their model to ensure that customers get good tracking info from the sellers. This is just good business and generates good will. I think customer service is just like anything else; it comes down to the Golden Rule. Kudos again to all those who work this way!

I definitely second penguins videos of packaging the product that you ordered. Like you said it's a nice little subtlety that makes the purchase a little more personal. And I keep on ordering from them because Penguins is consistent!
Matt Pulsar
View Profile
Special user
919 Posts

Profile of Matt Pulsar
Quote:
On Jul 23, 2014, TheMentalist314 wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 18, 2014, RedDevil wrote:

I definitely second penguins videos of packaging the product that you ordered. Like you said it's a nice little subtlety that makes the purchase a little more personal. And I keep on ordering from them because Penguins is consistent!

responding to the mention of the penguin videos, I LOVE that they do this. I was in a meeting the other day for consultation on some web design. The topic was innovative things being done with web sales platforms and I showed everyone the penguin order shipping video. At first they didn't believe me that it was actually my order. I had to freeze frame and show them the shipping label. Then they assumed the company must not get many orders to be able to do this. I don't think that's the case but I don't know what kind of order flow they have. I assume its fairly large for a small business.
Belief Manifests Reality.
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100014859756312
Palm Star Zodiac Divination System: https://palmstarzodiac.blogspot.com/
jaizon
View Profile
Inner circle
By time you read this I will have
1540 Posts

Profile of jaizon
I have gotten great customer service from Penguin, Myke Phillips, Stuart Palm, Art Vanderlay and many others. It is much appreciated.
Jamie D
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2292 Posts

Profile of Jamie D
I have also go great customer service from Richard. Also, Hocus-Pocus has exceptionally great service as well. I recently put an order in and there was a bit of a mix up. They went the extra mile to make things right.
Twitter @darjames
danbastianelli
View Profile
New user
75 Posts

Profile of danbastianelli
I had a great experience with Daniel Madison a few months back. My package of one 60 pounds book was genuinely was lost in the mail. When I informed him of this he cooperated through email and the package that I received from him included the book that I ordered (signed) two other books that I had not paid for and two decks of his rare Scarlett rounders

A massive Shoutout to Madison
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4215 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Quote:
On Jul 18, 2014, SeattleSteve wrote:
While we are patting people on the back, I want to give a shout out to Craig at ProMystic.com

I bought a ParaPad, construction kit and ESP cards. I had some questions before I ordered, so I called him on the phone and he spent 10-15 minutes talking to me and even tossed in some pad refills and a couple extra pens at no charge.

The package was delivered to me 2 business days later.

Great job Craig! I really appreciate it.

Similar interaction here. But initial 'chat' via email. He answered my questions AND MORE. Ordered and it was here in 2 or 3 days. No import duty either..... The suprise of the package arriving that quickly was very pleasing! Just like magic in its own right! He us so good with his customer service - second to none so far.

Just for the point to be emphasised I'm in the UK not the USA! So the speed is even more impressive!
Dave “SPARKY” Matkin

http://www.gofundme.com/MyMadTriathlon

Now AKA........
Smile “WHEELS” Smile
That’s the closest smilies to a wheelchair so I’m using them despite not having a horse ….. or being able to do the walking globe. Mmmmm can you do a walking globe in a wheelchair?
Machina
View Profile
Veteran user
398 Posts

Profile of Machina
I received phenomenal service from Stevens Magic Emporium.
Quick service response as I wanted to add something to my order. They also passed a massive savings to me for International delivery via courier.

I was absolutely amazed. I wish I had service like that everywhere!
Those guys are great!
This "has nothing to do with the Magician who doesn't like Rock n Roll!" Corinda

www.mechanicsofthemind.com
reese
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell
1025 Posts

Profile of reese
Quote:
On Jul 22, 2014, mindhunter wrote:
I love hearing stories such as this....

It seems most "young" cashiers, be it a gas station or supermarket, at the conclusion of the transaction, look at you, the customer, as if you are supposed to thank THEM. I have gotten in the habit of saying "you're welcome" as I leave whether or not they thank me for my purchase...

There truly are some great folks in this field, and I have been fortunate to have dealt with many over the years....I echo the kudos!

Bryn

Hey Bryn, Your example of "young cashiers" is a different kettle of fish. Just saying. And.. you should thank them.
Kabbalah
View Profile
Inner circle
1622 Posts

Profile of Kabbalah
Unfortuneately, there is the other side. I ordered a book from a very well known author from his website because I believe in supporting the author/inventer and buying directly from them when possible. I paid instantly with PayPal and of course my funds were transferred within seconds. I ordered the book on 30 July and sent this email on 04 August:

I ordered ............ on 30 July. I have not received a confirmation of the order. Could you please confirm?

Thanks...

Received this reply...

Got the order. Usually don’t send confirmations, just send it out. Could not do it this past weekend. Will send tomorrow or Wednesday. Thanks for your interest.

Best regards.

John

Maybe it is just me, but I find this a poor response. Tomorrow or Wednesday? Thanks for your interest?
How about Thanks for ordering from me! Thanks for your purchase!

If I had ordered from a dealer, I would be reading it now!
"Long may magicians fascinate and continue to be fascinated by the mystery potential in a pack of cards."
~Cliff Green

"The greatest tricks ever performed are not done at all. The audience simply think they see them."
~ John Northern Hilliard
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Kudos for great customer service (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL