The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Strong endings for Nightmare (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Well, I was wondering, after performing Professor's Nightmare for several years, if there is a stronger ending than the one I am currently use.

Presently, I toss the ropes in the air, claiming that they all revert back to the same size in mid -air, but I am sure there are other ways to end the effect.

P.S., Stoner's great. I had visited his shop a number of times when he had one in S. Bend. He closed that shop down, though, and I have no knowledge if Mr. Stoner is still alive.

Anybody else have a favorite ending they would like to share?
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2004-01-19 01:17, daffydoug wrote:
claiming that they all revert back to the same size in mid -air

This is confusing, why would you tell the audience that they will be reverting to what you are holding in your hand?

To recap: The trick I believe you are doing is - 3 unequal rope change/stretch to 3 equal ropes.

My ending was shown to me by Dick Stoner, Trade Show Magician, almost 50 years ago. It is the best ending I have ever seen.

It is priceless!!!!

Bill
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
What I meant by "same size" is the size they were before they were streched, in other words, one long, one medium, one short. consider that a little typo, just look at the time it was when I made the post! I was burning the midnight oil.
Andini
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, OH
685 Posts

Profile of Andini
Daffydoug, take a look at Mac King's lecture notes. He has a great ending to the Professor's Nightmare and it goes like this:

After the unequal ropes change into three equal pieces of rope, those three change into TWO equal pieces of rope. These ropes are tied together and restore into one large piece of rope.

It's not incredibly difficult and it's a surprising ending for such a rouine.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Andini,

daffydoug wanted your ideas, not someone elses. It is not polite to steal other peoples tricks or routines.

Share your ideas if you want, but not other peoples ideas without their permission.

Bill
Andini
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, OH
685 Posts

Profile of Andini
Bill, I have not stolen Mac's routine. I've only begun to work it into my existing rope routine and I felt that it was a strong ending to the routine. Did I EXPOSE the effect? I didn't once mention the mechanics of the routine. Had I done so, then I'd be doing something wrong. However, I clearly cited Mac King as the source I learned it from. If daffydoug would like to look into the routine, he must do so by purchasing Mac's notes. I have only the utmost respect for Mr. King and would like to see his work used more by magicians.

Also, daffydoug never specifically asked for MY ideas that I, MYSELF have come up with. He merely asked:
Quote:
if their is a stronger ending than the one I currently use.

I truly appreciate your concerns about respecting the work of others but I honestly don't think that I've done anything wrong. I'm sorry for this response post and it's not meant to be a personal attack, Bill, but I was just angrily confused at your post.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Quote:
On 2004-01-19 10:25, Andini wrote:
Daffydoug, take a look at Mac King's lecture notes. He has a great ending to the Professor's Nightmare and it goes like this:

After the unequal ropes change into three equal pieces of rope, those three change into TWO equal pieces of rope. These ropes are tied together and restore into one large piece of rope.

It's not incredibly difficult and it's a surprising ending for such a rouine.

Sounds great! Where can I find his lecture notes?
Andini
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, OH
685 Posts

Profile of Andini
You can pick up a copy at http://www.mackingshow.com/swag.html

The lecture notes also have some other nifty tricks in it! Enjoy!
RayBanks
View Profile
Special user
Nassau Bay, TX
533 Posts

Profile of RayBanks
Quote:
On 2004-01-19 01:17, daffydoug wrote:

P.S., Stoner's great. I had visited his shop a number of times when he had one in S. Bend. He closed that shop down, though, and I have no knowledge if Mr. stoner is still alive.

Dick Stoner is alive and well and still setting the bar for trade show magicians.

I see him every year in Las Vegas at the Broadcaster's convention.
-------------
Pick a card, any card...No. not THAT one...THIS one

Ray Banks
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
Quote:
On 2004-01-20 10:22, RayBanks wrote:

Dick Stoner is alive and well and still setting the bar for trade show magicians.

And a heck of a nice guy to boot.
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
BTW, I use the same ending for my rope routine, which is a combination of cut and restored and then professor's nightmare. My routine is a combo of moves from Slydini and Whit Haydn's Mongolian Pop Knot, which is a great routine and very well written out. You can get Whit's material--video or book form--at http://www.SchoolForScoundrels.com. It's an extremely strong ending.
Whit's presentation is great too. Although my presentation is different.
Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hi Andini:

Thanks for the information on Mac King's lecture notes - much appreciated. Not sure what the other fellow is so upset about...there was nothing wrong with your posting.

Ron
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Actually, I think what happens (and I've been through it a number of times) is that we post something, meaning one thing, but somewhere in the next person's mind, it gets totally misconstrued, and before you know it, tempers flare, and, well, you know the rest.

I suppose that's just part of life in the virtual universe, where complete strangers are brought together in a flash of time, ...really, it's just inevitable. all we can do is explain ourselves, apologize, forgive, forget and move on.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Andini,

I must appologize if you got upset. I did not know that Mac King has published any of his material.

Bill Smile
Andini
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, OH
685 Posts

Profile of Andini
No problem, Bill! Just a simple misunderstanding. Smile
actorscotty
View Profile
Veteran user
wilmington nc
398 Posts

Profile of actorscotty
I finish my rope routine with Professor's Nightmare, after the cut, restored, twice( different versions, pop off knot, I cut the rope into 3 "equal pieces" explaining how hard that is to do, saying that when I first started I folded the rope (fold in half) cut but they always came out different, show different lengths, tie all three together and remove the knots so they are one long length, replace one of the knots and untie it, ...end
Masimax
View Profile
Regular user
Italy
104 Posts

Profile of Masimax
At the end of my routine I restore the three equal ropes to one long rope.

Ciao
Massimo Pulidori
Scott Penrose
View Profile
Regular user
London, England
190 Posts

Profile of Scott Penrose
Daryl's Rope Routine has an excellent ending (available in a book form from dealers). I believe the idea for the finish he uses comes from Harry Lorrayne. I have used it for years and would highly recommend it.

Regards

Scott
santlerconjurer
View Profile
Veteran user
365 Posts

Profile of santlerconjurer
Hen Fetsch's Quadroplets adds a stretched rope, optional cut and restored, and finale in which remaining two superlong ropes combine into one long piece.
Dan Monroe
View Profile
Loyal user
Indiana
209 Posts

Profile of Dan Monroe
Yes I can tell you that Dick Stoner is alive and well Here in Ft. Wayne IN. He still has 2 shops here. if you are ever in the area stop in at his downtown store he is in there a lot. I buy alot of my magic there and Dick is always ready to show you the new stuff. I will go in to buy some rope or somthing simple and Dick will show me something new and I walk out with a much lighter wallet. LOL Isn't magic great!
The power is within us all...I'm just a little more full of it.
danmonroe.bravehost.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Strong endings for Nightmare (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL