The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Starting Coin Magic Need Some Tips On Coins (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

LightningGod
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of LightningGod
Hello. I have been doing magic for quite a bit ,but mostly stuck with cards. I am starting to get into coins and have the Eisenhower Silver Dollar that I have been using because I like it's size and wieght. I'm looking at other coins that would be the same size in other currencies or coins that aren't over the hill in price. I was looking at walking librties because they look beautiful ,but they go for quite a bit. I then looked at the artifact coins on ellusionist ,but they are just too thick looking to have mutiple palmed (comfortably). Any suggestions?

I should mention I am looking to get 5 of the same coin preferably all the same year. Thanks Smile

I know basics with coins and am polishing those. I'm starting with Winged Silver by David Roth and the Metal series by Eric Jones. Also looking into Bobo. I do need to work on my CP (classic palm) though.
Yehoshua
View Profile
Regular user
Turnersville, NJ
159 Posts

Profile of Yehoshua
Bobo. That is where you should start for all your coin work. Seriously, if you just work on one chapter at a time and master that, you'll be well on your way to awesome coin magic.

That being said, welcome to the Café! What kind of routines will you be looking to perform? (Stage, close up, etc) and will spectators be handling your coins or are they to remain in your hands at all times?
Yehoshua
View Profile
Regular user
Turnersville, NJ
159 Posts

Profile of Yehoshua
To answer your question regarding coin size, go with what fits your hands well. It doesn't matter how cool the coins look if you can't pull off the moves. Also, I try not to look too out of the ordinary for a few reasons. First off, no reason to add doubt into my spec's minds, and secondly, if something were to happen to my coins, I want to be able to replace them quickly and without burning a hole in my wallet (no, not even my fire wallet).

Also, it occurs to me that if you're getting into coin work, one thing you may want to explore in your journeys would be Gaff Coins. If that be the case, you'll want to have coins that match 'em. So, food for thought.
Mb2177
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of Mb2177
Some good comments from Yeho. Smile Also, it don't matter much if at all about the coins all being of the same date. Long as they resemble, that's way more than good enough. Better to spend the time learning and practicing moves & routines. I'm just sayin'. Smile

You can track down dollar size coins to use with your Ike dollar on ebay easy enough until you find what you like. A dollar size Chinese coin is nice for transpositions. Half dollar coins are also nice and there is an assortment of like-size coins you can use with silver or clad coins, i.e., English Pennies, Chinese coins, etc. But mostly, use what you're comfortable with. You might find that you're comfortable with different sizes for different effects. For instance, I use dollar size coins (Morgans) for my 3 Fly (more visible), but prefer half dollars to do my favorite Coins Across (easier to hide). And in my favorite coin effect of all, "ReViSiTed," I use both sizes. Smile So try them all. Smile

You got some good stuff to start with as to David Roth and Eric Jones, from the old to the new, they are certainly two of the very best practitioners and teachers, IMHO - Their great bodies of work speak for themselves. And Bobo's New Modern Coin Magic is always a good staple to have on hand. There are other things out there but basically, I'd say you got what you need, add the coins and some diligence and you're own your way. Smile

You'll find coins a nice respite from cards, as I found cards a nice addition to my coin work. Cards were a bit different but I really enjoyed them enough to endeavor and now I ain't too bad, at least for a coin guy. Smile I would think the same sorta thing will happen for you and help to make you a bit more well-rounded with more closeup variety for your spectators. Smile

When all the many coin tricks you learn and go through become just a few that you actually do, you'll be there. Smile

So yeah, "Welcome to the Café, LG" and good journey. Smile

-Mb
PAUL K
View Profile
Special user
Massachusetts
547 Posts

Profile of PAUL K
Welcome to the Magic Caf'e.

I would get a nice Shell for your Eisenhower silver dollars or split coin. You could get a nice shell from Johnson's.

Practice doing a Three fly or Coins Across.

Paul
LightningGod
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of LightningGod
Thank you all for the warm welcome! As far as appearnace goes for the coins it's mostly for myself. I know it won't matter much or if at all to the spectators. I think I may stick with the Eisenhower's like mentioned and get some 50 cent piecess as well. Picking up a shell is also on my list. I appreciate the replies Smile
SmileAndNod
View Profile
Veteran user
316 Posts

Profile of SmileAndNod
From a pure technical point of view, Morgans are much easier to do sleight of hand with than ikes. Eisenhowers are a lot more slippery.
PAUL K
View Profile
Special user
Massachusetts
547 Posts

Profile of PAUL K
Two tricks that you might consider doing that I do.

Johnson's hopping half and you can get in Silver Dollar size.

Imagination Coins by Garrett Thomas.It allows you to vanish a Coin in a person's hand and theres a great Coins Across on the DVD.

Paul
Mb2177
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of Mb2177
I would further add…

Get your sleight of hand (SOH) moves down first and formost. Get the basics down, and there are tons of tricks that don't require the added expense of gaffed coins.

Gaffed coins are nice but get the basics down first and you will be better at using the gaff stuff as well, and have the greater choice as to what you want to use no matter what you do. Smile Paul brings up a couple of good effects, where gaffs can enhance the magic, as they are meant to do. The 3 I mention above here use no gaffs and can be done right out of your pocket, instantly, no setups, etc. So, I'm just sayin'. Smile
PAUL K
View Profile
Special user
Massachusetts
547 Posts

Profile of PAUL K
Thanks!..MB

It's a matter of knowing the different slights & concealments & false transfers.Trying to find what works best for you and the spectator's.

And other suggestion is Modern Coin Magic by Ben Salinas....The 4 DVD set. Some places online have it under $20.
It has 170 sleights and tricks on it. It makes it easier to understand the book by J.B Bobo.Or even David Roths. But Eric Jones Metal is great to learn from.

Paul
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
I am teaching someone the basics now. He got the Dover ed. of Bobo, so I felt I had to guide him a bit. He does a pretty good Coin Thru The Hand. He needs five Kennedy Halves and a mirror. We're just scratching the surface. He made up the Coin Thru The Hand himself, but did it so badly, I had to show him the right way.

He does pretty good using MY half dollars, but is slow to buy his own. One thing at a time with this guy...

Doug
Andy Young
View Profile
Special user
Jersey Shore, PA
822 Posts

Profile of Andy Young
5 Kennedy halfs are only 2.50$. Why can't he get his own. Also the Dover edition only lacks the last chapters in the hard back version
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Yeah. $2.50. I know. Hard to describe this guy. 21 yrs old, and one step away from the homeless shelter.

Doug
Mb2177
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of Mb2177
Quote:
On Jul 20, 2014, Dougini wrote:
Yeah. $2.50. I know. Hard to describe this guy. 21 yrs old, and one step away from the homeless shelter.

Doug

Well, he might need an even greater magic…Like better BELIEVING in himself. Maybe you can help him with that, my friend. I can't think of a better person or teacher as to this. Smile $2.50 is a small price to pay for the opportunity to help someone on their way. Within all that is the greatest magic of all, for you and him. Smile

ABRACADABRA!
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Quote:
On Jul 22, 2014, Mb2177 wrote:

Well, he might need an even greater magic…Like better BELIEVING in himself. Maybe you can help him with that, my friend. I can't think of a better person or teacher as to this. Smile

I'm doing my best. Small steps...

Quote:
$2.50 is a small price to pay for the opportunity to help someone on their way.

Yeah. I thought about buying them for him. I'm afraid he'd spend them. Maybe not. We'll see...

Quote:
ABRACADABRA!

ABRACADABRA to you, my friend! Smile

Doug
frankvomit
View Profile
Elite user
485 Posts

Profile of frankvomit
If you can learn on your home currency if not American halves and English penny's are a good way to start and you can pretty much get them anywhere if you shop around.
edshern
View Profile
Special user
957 Posts

Profile of edshern
Just starting with coins.
Reading Bobo.
Should I start with quarters or half dollar coins?
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4911 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
Depends On the size of Your Hands! You can see Half's a little better If you can handle them!
David Neighbors
the coinjurer
www.daveneighbors.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Starting Coin Magic Need Some Tips On Coins (6 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL