The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Sense of Touch!!!!! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6
TheQuestion
View Profile
New user
United Kingdom
21 Posts

Profile of TheQuestion
It takes a bit of practice to sense the cards, but it will come eventually. I barely got 50% correct on my first attempt, but now it's more like 99%.

Of course, getting a few wrong helps make the effect that bit more entertaining.

Andrew
mysterium
View Profile
New user
Baltimore, MD
100 Posts

Profile of mysterium
It took me all of 20 minutes to perform SOT with near-100% accuracy. Study the booklet; perhaps you're not doing the business correctly. Keep working at it and I'm sure you'll get it to work admirably.

I have found that the sublety contributed by Drew McAdams (I think) works best for me. Try that and it might work better,
luvtinayothers
View Profile
New user
North Hollywood
8 Posts

Profile of luvtinayothers
OK, I went home last night and practiced for quite a while and I'm beginning to pick it up. I think the problem was that I was too "delicate" in the set up and not sensitive enough in the performance but I seem to be getting the hang of it now.
Definately a wonderful principle and well worth the price. I feel sorry for all you Frenchmen who are missing out Smile
Sniper
View Profile
New user
75 Posts

Profile of Sniper
I find the most Mysterious thing to be the question of "Why Are Not International Money Orders Acceptable As Payment?"

Seems odd...
:dizzy:

Sn!per
sweetcarl
View Profile
Regular user
Brussels, Belgium
120 Posts

Profile of sweetcarl
Quote:
On 2002-08-08 19:25, Sniper wrote:
I find the most Mysterious thing to be the question of "Why Are Not International Money Orders Acceptable As Payment?"

Seems odd...
:dizzy:

Sn!per

Perhaps they're too much hassle to deal with...
Official Translator to Christian Chelman and the Surnateum
Linguanet Quality Translations
liormanor
View Profile
Regular user
Israel
114 Posts

Profile of liormanor
Yes maybe Smile Smile

Is this thread the Roshmore (or what his name )
princple???
how many from the 6635 that vread it ,bought the effect??

Lior
PEA Dunninger award 2001 Smile
Steve Hook
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, NC, USA
1266 Posts

Profile of Steve Hook
Thanks for the good service, Ian.

I ordered SOT and AHEAD OF THE PACK by credit card on 8/18 and they were delivered to my Orlando, FL, mailbox on 8/24.
:bigdance:

Steve H
Like Bonnie Raitt said, "I miss Little Feat more than I miss being 8 years old." Thanks for the concerts + recordings, Lowell, Richie, and Paul!
E-Leoni
View Profile
Veteran user
USA
358 Posts

Profile of E-Leoni
I must compliment Ian aswell on delivery.
I can't believe how quickly he delivers items.

E-Leoni.
McCritical
View Profile
Regular user
156 Posts

Profile of McCritical
I got the booklet and tried it out for a few people at work. I presented it as the "method" for a previous card trick, and then told them that most magicians were aware of the "fact" that certain brands of cards could be read by feeling the index.

"Why did you think Bicycles were so popular with magicians anyway? Here! try it!...you'll see what I mean."

After a few half-assed attempts on their part, and a few subtle cues (on my part) to whether they had guessed correctly, they were convinced that reading indexes by touch was entirely possible.

"Is it red?"
"No."
"Yeah, I thought it was black, I can totally feel the difference."

Needless to say, when I mentioned it took practice, they lost all interest.

Laziness, the mother of all misdirection.

It's a great effect...now I can stop telling people I do card tricks with mirrors.
Bill Palmatary
View Profile
New user
Burbank (LA), Ca, USA
47 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmatary
it seems like telling them it was something so mundane killed the effect. perhaps a more magical approach would help things?
sandman690
View Profile
Loyal user
230 Posts

Profile of sandman690
I just got my copy and can say that I love the idea! All the various applications had me up half the night thinking of ways to use this principle every chance I get!

Stan
Ted Lesley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Berlin / Germany
421 Posts

Profile of Ted Lesley
Hi All:

"Sense Of Touch" is FANTASTIC!!! I like this undetectable secret very much. Whi I did not think of it....???

ESPecially
Ted Lesley

( The "Victor Borge" of Mentalism )
psychic
View Profile
Veteran user
337 Posts

Profile of psychic
Just ordered mine. Can't wait for it to arrive. Yes cardguy, I'd yearned for that OOTW routine, after it has been shuffled.

Waiting psychiclly at S'pore
PK
View Profile
Regular user
131 Posts

Profile of PK
This is a perfect principle. As perfect as you could ever get.

It's a safe bet that you will never be caught cheating: there is nothing to catch you cheating with!

Anyone with a sense of imagination will be thrilled with their purchase.

The principle is exactly as described on Ian's website. No hype, hyperbole - I'm hyper-ventilating it's so great...

You must buy this - and then use it!

Kevin
Alan Jackson
View Profile
Elite user
Cardiff, UK
432 Posts

Profile of Alan Jackson
A very unusual (possibly unique) feature of the system is that whatever condition the spectators impose can be negotiated, provided it's one which could be negotiated if you could actually do what you say you can.
There are 10 kinds of people: those who understand binary numbers, and those who don't.
Harvey Nerzof
View Profile
Regular user
193 Posts

Profile of Harvey Nerzof
HN Review 32: Sense of Touch - Ian Rowland

AD:

Sense of Touch is not one trick or routine. It is a versatile principle for magicians, mentalists and psychic entertainers.

Sense of Touch allows you to present a range of effects which are pseudo-psychic in nature and extremely deceptive. When you order Sense of Touch, you get a professionally-printed 48 page booklet.

Part One: the 'SWIFT Challenge' effect. This is one of my favourite applications for the SOT principle. The performer offers to demonstrate 'seeing' with his fingertips, and gives a pack of cards to a spectator. While
the performer looks away, the spectator chooses a handful of red and black cards and mixes them. The performer takes back this face down packet of cards. By lightly feeling the face of each card with his fingertips, he is able to tell whether it is red or black. The performer sense that the spectators are not very impressed. They may suspect the cards are marked n the back, or that other trickery is involved. The performer offers to repeat the demonstration under any conditions the spectators want to impose. He does so,
and is still 100% successful.

The performer is also able to differentiate high cards from low, or odd cards from even, or even court cards from spot cards, apparently just by using his fingertips to 'see' or 'sense' these differences.

The spectators can impose any controls or conditions they want (consistent with the premise), yet the performer is always successful. The effect can be repeated as often as required. Everything - including the
performer's hands and ther cards - can be examined at any time. The performer can even give the cards away at the end!

Part Two: effects without playing cards. You can apply the Sense of Touch principle to blank cards, tarot cards, ESP cards, picture cards, post cards, business cards, note cards, printed cards or more or less anything
else that is essentially 'card-like'. Part Two of the booklet explores many different themes, options and possibilities.

REVIEW:

Nicely produced booklet. It looks like Mr. Rowland's system is really undetectable (REALLY undetectable, since I can't even figure it out myself - certainly this is due to lack of practice), so the OOTW effect can bee a success in the right hands.

The second part of the book deals with other classic mental effects that could use the system - but you definitely have easier ways to perform them. Buy it only if you plan to do the OOTW effect with your own deck of playing cards.

Overall rating: good

H.
GothicBen
View Profile
Veteran user
England
353 Posts

Profile of GothicBen
Quote:
On 2003-05-28 09:48, Harvey Nerzof wrote:
HN Review 32: Sense of Touch - Ian Rowland

so the OOTW effect can bee a success in the right haNDS.

Sorry to call you on this, but you have unfortunately gotten the wromg end of the stick somewhere.

SOT has NOTHING to do with OOTW, or being able to perform it. The basic effect of OOTW, as we all know, is that the spectator deals cards into seperate red and black piles, without knowing quite how they did it.

However, SOT is totally different. The first effect in the book is the SWIFT challenge, where the performer demonstrates his ability to tell red from black, or high from low, or whatever, with just his fingertips. And, he can do this under TEST CONDITIONS, suggested by the spectators!

Another point. The second part of the book details effects that can be done with the SOT principle. Yes, there are a few variations on th classic "Living or Dead" test, but there are others that are, as far as I'm aware, totally unique to the SOT system.

Self ESPression is unique in that it is based on a principle that I've never seen before in a mental routine - applied kinesiology.

Granted there are "easier ways". But sometimes the easiness of the method compromises the effect, making it less cogent or deceptive. Mark Striving, in "To Pay The Price", argues that very point (p29-30, I believe!).

There may be times you want to use a principle other than SOT, but if you want the sheer undetectability and "test conditions" available, then SOT is certainly the way to go!

Ben
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2876 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
Correct me if I'm wrong Ben, because I don't have my copy at hand, but isn't there one routine where SOT and OOTW are combined? And isn't it the Swift aspect of SOT that is used?

In any case, like you, I am a fan of this book. Even when I was first working on it and the SWIFT presentation was still kind of dry, I was pleasantly shocked to find this to be the effect that created the most buzz after the fact and among both magicians and lay people. Not that I'm recommending this, but if you ever want to fry a card guy who thinks he knows it all, this will do the job.

Bill
Ian Rowland
View Profile
Special user
London
889 Posts

Profile of Ian Rowland
Hi Bill. I think Ben was trying to offer greater clarity and precision that that afforded by the original review.

Yes, the booklet makes reference to the fact that the 'Seeing With The Fingertips' challenge effect can segue into OOTW or any variation thereof. However, the SOT principle is not a method for performing OOTW and is not intended to be. Ben has helpfully pointed out this distinction.

I also applaud Ben's comment about 'easier ways'. Pages 29-30 of the SOT booklet address this exact point!
www.ianrowland.com . Working Magic.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Sense of Touch!!!!! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL