The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Suggestibility through Rapport (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
ELDEMONIO
View Profile
Regular user
159 Posts

Profile of ELDEMONIO
Hello everyone,

I was wondering if suggestibility can be created through good rapport. Do you think people can become suggestible by them liking you or are they simply are suggestible independent of the performer? Obviously, many people are suggestible, but I'm trying to see if the performer can make an otherwise unsuggestible person into a suggestible one.

Are there any books or works dedicated to finding or making participants suggestible?
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19770 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Yes they can.

Read "How to Win Friends and Influence People".
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Jesse Lewis
View Profile
Loyal user
227 Posts

Profile of Jesse Lewis
Eldemonio,

Almost every book I have read on the subject of hypnosis has a portion specifically on "Building Rapport" this is in my opinion the process of making people more suggestible it can be accomplished many way.

Simply building rapport does not guarantee success with hypnotize-ability but it will help.

The basic tools of building rapport are:

Matching or Mirroring
Pacing and Leading
Using the specific persons own representational systems
Basic hypnotic language

These tools will go a long way in building rapport but in the end it is up to you to be likable

Also knowledgeable of where you want to take them in the first place and setting the intention of doing it is a big factor. In my personal opinion and experience hypnosis has little to do with you and more to do with the subjects confidence in you knowing you are who and what you say you are.

I hope this helped!
Remember only you can make your dreams come true!
Jesse
Learn how to build a bigger business at www.showbizsuccesssecrets.com
ELDEMONIO
View Profile
Regular user
159 Posts

Profile of ELDEMONIO
Thanks for the answers, I have read "How to Win Friends and Influence People", a true classic. I'm also familiar with the techniques of building rapport and wondering if those techniques make people truly suggestible or are they being compliant because they like you. Appreciate the feedback!
Jesse Lewis
View Profile
Loyal user
227 Posts

Profile of Jesse Lewis
Eldemonio,

I say the only reason anyone is suggestible in the first place is because they like you or at the very least respect you in some way!

Jesse
Learn how to build a bigger business at www.showbizsuccesssecrets.com
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Rapport opens a two way channel of communication. It can work both ways. If you are in rapport with someone who tells you they can't be hypnotized you will be influenced by that.

Rapport is often misunderstood because of the large number of books out there that don't explain it properly.

Rapport is a two way street and both parties can be influenced. A common misconception when sales people are trained to gain rapport it will increase sales. It can often lose sales because the sales person believes they can't afford it and "agrees" with the customer.

|Setting your intention is important and also building expectation and belief in your volunteers is much more important.

On stage with a large crowd building expectation and understanding how to manipulate group dynamics and the emotional states of the audience is far more important than rapport......you don't need any rapport really.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
You don't even have to be likable..... Some of the most successful hypnotists I saw growing up were actually feared. and they made the most of that to manipulate expectation and emotion...being authoritative on stage is much more important. Doesn't mean ou have to be overpowering it means you have to be in control and directive.
ELDEMONIO
View Profile
Regular user
159 Posts

Profile of ELDEMONIO
Thanks mindpunisher, it is true some hypnotists are feared. I suppose it boils down to the authoritative nature of what the hypnotist is doing and audience expectation as you stated.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
People become suggestible when they are emotional. The build up of expectation and the manipulation of group dynamics are the mechanical components of stage hypnosis. Rapport doesn't really come into it at all. You want tension that way those in the audience have very little resistance.. Its good to be able to ad lib tell a few jokes have bit of a personality but rapport isn't necessary. It might actually get rid of the tension that you need.

When doing it with smaller groups its a good idea to be sneaky by taking them through a few "motivational" exercises first that teach them how the mind works before going in for the proper induction. The reason being its a way to condition them under the radar.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5691 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
I believe suggestibility MUST be created through rapport.
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Compliance is all that is needed not rapport. Suggestibility tests exist to find out who is suggestible nothing more ( and are also part of the overall induction really). Often doing shows people who don't even want to volunteer find themselves on stage part of the show. These are the most suggestible. Most people volunteer though because they are curious about hypnosis got nothing to do with rapport or even the hypnotist.

The hypnotists job is to real them in and make the best of what is already there. There will always be a percentage of people who will never volunteer or are just not suitable, some in between. some who really want to volunteer and a few who have no control and will find themselves responding no matter what.

You don't need rapport the audience is always made up that way. A hypnotist just needs to make sure the finds the right people. Obviously if he a real bad communicator it will be a lot more difficult. For example if you have someone from the first type on stage no amount of rapport will make any difference? And how do you find the time to develop rapport anyway? No matter what you do if you have the last type on stage they will be hypnotized no matter what.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Rapport is more important with one-to-one or very small groups though.
Anthony Jacquin
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2220 Posts

Profile of Anthony Jacquin
Nothing you do raises suggestibility. Suggestibility is a constant in the individual.

Have the right intention and you can assume rapport, like it is something you might lose rather than something you have to gain.
Anthony Jacquin

Reality is Plastic! The Art of Impromptu Hypnosis
Updated for 2016

Now on Kindle and Audible!
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19770 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Jul 20, 2014, Anthony Jacquin wrote:
Nothing you do raises suggestibility. Suggestibility is a constant in the individual.

This is absolutely not true. A complete misunderstanding of the concept.

Suggestibility is not constant. It is in fact something that increases when you have success. It is why you start with the more mechanical things, and move to flat out suggestion. It gives you credibility with what you are telling them. Suggestion then takes hold.

As you go through the process people become more accepting of the suggestions. Trust is established, guard is dropped and the critical factor bypassed.

To say suggestibility remains constant is simply not true.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
I have to agree with Danny suggestibility is not constant or you wouldn't need any conditioning on stage or multiple Ads in a campaign.

Also people become more suggestible for a number of reasons. One is through emotion. Fear and excitement render people suggestible. There is no need for rapport. Suggestions can also be delivered in various forms from direct to indirect.

Authoritarian suggestions don't come from rapport. They come from compliance and triggering inbuilt response mechanisms to authority.. Pacing an leading would be an example of a technique that requires rapport. But that's not really a suitable technique for stage or reasonable size groups. Another way to increase suggestibility is through frustrating the response. Im suffering from that today. I have had three phone calls from a potential client today for therapy ( which I don't do much of these days)She phoned me on Friday. I charge way more than any local therapist - I told her I'm too expensive for her and she should phone around. She phoned around all the other hypnotists told her what I do doesn't work and offered her to do the work for a fraction of the price.....I told her again Im not the therapist for her.... but shes is insisting I send her details..

The truth is I am trying to get rid of her. Although this is the way I usually get clients who are committed. By frustrating the response they are looking for they become more suggestible to working with me. ZERO RAPPORT.

Setting intention properly so long as you have enough internalized skill and knowledge will help you "automate" the process which is really what you need to operate at a high level. Sometimes reffered to unconscious competence.
Anthony Jacquin
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2220 Posts

'Success increases suggestibility...
Trust increases suggestibility...
Critical factor bypass increases suggestibility...
Conditioning increases suggestibility...
Emotion increases suggestibility...'

It seems many things might increase it yet no has suggested that being hypnotised increases suggestibility?

Does doing an hypnotic induction increase suggestibility?
How do you measure suggestibility?
How many levels are there?

Anthony
Anthony Jacquin

Updated for 2016

Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19770 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
This is pretty basic stuff.

Little shocking you don't know this.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Marmen
View Profile
Regular user
157 Posts

Profile of Marmen
So much for "How to Win Friends and Influence People" !
Anthony Jacquin
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2220 Posts

Danny,

It is not shocking at all. I have just kept up with the latest thinking in hypnosis and do not agree with what you have suggested about suggestibility.

You quote the 'critical factor bypass'. That tells me you may have stopped thinking for yourself in 1964 when Elman's book came out.

There is strong evidence that an individuals suggestibility levels are not significantly higher after an induction.
I'll say that again.
Give a series of suggestions to people who are not hypnotised. See how many they respond to.
Do an induction and give the same suggestions. See how many they respond to.
The results are the same bar the noise.

Surprised? Elman would be.
Anthony Jacquin

Updated for 2016

Marmen
View Profile
Regular user
157 Posts

Profile of Marmen
Of course they are the same. That is because they aren't hypnotised in the first place!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Suggestibility through Rapport (6 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL