The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Suggestibility through Rapport (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Anthony Jacquin
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2220 Posts

Profile of Anthony Jacquin
But they are in the second place?

Would you not expect their suggestibility to go up Marmen?
Anthony Jacquin

Reality is Plastic! The Art of Impromptu Hypnosis
Updated for 2016

Now on Kindle and Audible!
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19770 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Ant I am glad you make assumptions. Shows me all I need to know about your "thinking:
".
Show me where I ever mentioned an induction in this thread or anything about Elman. Nice attempt at a straw man. The latest so called thinking does not change basics. You seem quite ignorant of the basics.

Your idea of a test is so flawed it is funny. That is what passes for thinking?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
quicknotist
View Profile
Special user
888 Posts

Profile of quicknotist
Does any of this latest thinking make for a better performer? I don't think so.
I understand why there might be a lot of curiosity around the science of hypnosis but much of it seems to take away from the art.
For me, part of the drama in the performance comes from not knowing precisely how people will interpret, behave and react.
Just as a man can claim to know all there is to know about what makes people laugh, to be up to date with the latest thinking in that area, even come up with a few plausible theories himself, it doesn't necessarily make him a better stand-up comedian.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19770 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Absolutely.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Anthony Jacquin
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2220 Posts

Apologies Danny. When you mentioned 'critical factor bypass' I assumed you meant the concept made popular by Elman? Please clarify what you mean and I will be better able to respond.

Anthony
Anthony Jacquin

Updated for 2016

Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19770 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
My point is that as you gain credibility you will be able to do more with them because you also gain trust. It amps up suggestibility, always has and always will.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Anthony Jacquin
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2220 Posts

Quote:
On Jul 22, 2014, quicknotist wrote:
I understand why there might be a lot of curiosity around the science of hypnosis but much of it seems to take away from the art.
For me, part of the drama in the performance comes from not knowing precisely how people will interpret, behave and react.
Just as a man can claim to know all there is to know about what makes people laugh, to be up to date with the latest thinking in that area, even come up with a few plausible theories himself, it doesn't necessarily make him a better stand-up comedian.

Do you have anything to add on the rapport/suggestibility question Reg?
Anthony Jacquin

Updated for 2016

Marmen
View Profile
Regular user
157 Posts

Profile of Marmen
Quote:
On Jul 22, 2014, Anthony Jacquin wrote:
But they are in the second place?

Would you not expect their suggestibility to go up Marmen?

Nobody is hypnotised. They just think they are. Self delusion would be a better term. I suppose the self deluded would indeed be more suggestible because they have been daft enough in the first place to think they are hypnotised. And hypnotists themselves are daft enough to think they are too. I suppose that means that hypnotists are suggestible too. Not me though. Nobody can ever suggest anything to me. Well, actually they do but I always ignore rudeness.
quicknotist
View Profile
Special user
888 Posts

Profile of quicknotist
No. No I don't.
My own latest thinking is that I should leave that to others and concentrate on my own work as a performer.
Quote:
On Jul 22, 2014, Anthony Jacquin wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 22, 2014, quicknotist wrote:

Do you have anything to add on the rapport/suggestibility question Reg?
Jesse Lewis
View Profile
Loyal user
227 Posts

Profile of Jesse Lewis
[quote]On Jul 22, 2014, quicknotist wrote:
No. No I don't.
My own latest thinking is that I should leave that to others and concentrate on my own work as a performer.

This is the smartest thing anyone has ever written on the Café bar none!
Learn how to build a bigger business at www.showbizsuccesssecrets.com
Anthony Jacquin
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2220 Posts

Please keep the comments about not commenting coming every now and again.
Anthony Jacquin

Updated for 2016

Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19770 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Exactly what someone with no counter point says Anthony.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Jesse Lewis
View Profile
Loyal user
227 Posts

Profile of Jesse Lewis
This argument could have been very informative for the OP if it had went a different way. The clashing of the "schools" of hypnosis is unfortunate.

There are those like me who think hypnosis is induced therefore rapport has to be gained and in my experience the best way to do this is the old school way,
There are those that think it does not exist at all so don't worry about it, This is believed by many non hypnotist - hypnotists
There are those that think we are in hypnosis all the time just different states of it just waiting to be manipulated,

The truth of the matter is that hypnosis is elusive, hard to explain, and differs from school to school and especially from person to person.

Sometimes we do get stuck in our ways and feel threatened by the "new kids" which is fine its part of being the old guard. Other times the new guard will be challenging and destroy things that the old guard holds as keys to their own limiting beliefs about hypnosis and they {the old guard} therefore get angry and defensive.

Hypnosis is what it is to you and that will be different than what it is to others. In no other community will you find such argumentative and stubborn people. But also I suspect if you were to meet any of us in person we would be much nicer and probably help you a lot more.

Often the comments on the Café come across as being very challenging and I think that may not always be their intent. There have been many valuable contributions here over the years but considering the drama many have been driven to either find better mentors or to fade into the background and leave. This is unfortunate because they had valuable contributions too!

The question I have for everyone is simply this why can you not get along, you know hypnosis is weird and dam near UN-explainable from every school and that every school has its flaws. Just let it be and actually be helpful instead of just being mean I know more fly are attracted with honey than with insults and measuring contests.

Jesse
Learn how to build a bigger business at www.showbizsuccesssecrets.com
Anthony Jacquin
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2220 Posts

I would hope the OP gets value from this thread. He has a list of ten methods of increasing rapport and possibly suggestibility.
He also has the option of sidestepping these methods and appealing to what inherent suggestibility is already present.

Anthony
Anthony Jacquin

Updated for 2016

megatalented
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of megatalented
Hi, new here. Amazing forum board, so many respected hypnotists here. I learned my hypnosis recently from the master JC and still am reasonably fresh as it were compared to the legends here.
Couple of points here though that made me sign up and comment...

1) I don't personally even think about rapport. It's a natural thing surely - I think you can instigate it but then let it run its course - Naturally and honestly. As natural and honest as even a cult leader or miracle healer (if they didn't actually believe their own rubbish, they'd have no success). If I started thinking about matching and mirroring, which is one of the suggestions on this thread, I think the rapport that I'd already have had would shatter straight away by being perceived subconsciously as trying to fake it. Using the symptom of rapport to try and get it doesn't seem right.

2) Perhaps what Anthony is suggesting is that the POTENTIAL level of suggestibility remains constant, and that compliance, trust, credibility etc are merely the steps on the ladder which lead to that 'potential'? The same way steps that people take to become loyal to a brand.

3) How ironic that Danny Doyle recommends reading 'How to win friends and influence people' - An outdated 1930s salesman's book on faking to be nice, using the principle of reciprocation - not that he seems to follow it here of course.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19770 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Welcome back Mark. So they caught you on the other name huh?

Man you are DESPERATE for people to take you seriously aren't you?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
megatalented
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of megatalented
You must have me confused with someone else sir... though 15045 posts would seem quite desperate yourself, no offence!
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19770 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Will be fun to see if you make it to double digits. Why not try acting like a gown up for a change? Maybe they let you stay.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Marmen
View Profile
Regular user
157 Posts

Profile of Marmen
It appears that Danny's psychic powers are not working too well. As he knows I have some expertise in this area. Any time he wants guidance in developing his psychic ability let me know. I am only too willing to help. And it appears that I HAVE reached double digits!
Marmen
View Profile
Regular user
157 Posts

Profile of Marmen
I must say however that I do not agree that How To Win Friends and Influence People is outdated. The principles hold true now just as they did in 1930 and even hundred of years ago. And they will hold true a hundred years from now too if the planet doesn't get blown up by people who haven't read the book.

Just because both Danny and I are not great students of the book does not invalidate the principles. And there is nothing "fake" about them unless you want them to be. Dale Carnegie, the author emphasised that you should be SINCERE when applying them.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Suggestibility through Rapport (6 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL