The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Suggestibility through Rapport (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
megatalented
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of megatalented
Don't you find something insincere about teaching sincerity though? I think his book is so needlessly repetitive and thin on content that it could be summed up in a page. Just as Jon Chase does on the subject of rapport in his book, don't look in his eyes.
megatalented
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of megatalented
Just another 7 posts to go...
Marmen
View Profile
Regular user
157 Posts

Profile of Marmen
Ah yes! I made a mistake. You have to reach double digits and I have already reached treble digits. Anyway at the risk of Danny thinking I am arguing with myself I shall try and defend the book in question by quoting the authors defence instead. When the book first came out it was roundly criticised. Carnegie was invited to give a speech to a hostile audience who he knew were just as against the book as you are. This is what he said:

"I know there's considerable criticism of my book. People say I'm not profound and there's nothing in it new to psychology and human relations. This is true. Gentlemen, I've never claimed to have a new idea. Of course I deal with the obvious. I present, reiterate and glorify the obvious-because the obvious is what people need to be told. The greatest need of people is to know how to deal with other people. This should come naturally to them but it doesn't.

I am told that you are a hostile audience. But I plead not guilty. The ideas I stand for are not mine. I borrowed them from Socrates. I swiped them from Chesterfield. I stole them from Jesus and I put them in a book. If you don't like their rules, whose would you use? I'll be glad to listen"

Carnegie got a thunderous ovation.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Quote:
On Jul 22, 2014, Anthony Jacquin wrote:
'Success increases suggestibility...
Trust increases suggestibility...
Critical factor bypass increases suggestibility...
Conditioning increases suggestibility...
Emotion increases suggestibility...'

It seems many things might increase it yet no has suggested that being hypnotised increases suggestibility?

Does doing an hypnotic induction increase suggestibility?
How do you measure suggestibility?
How many levels are there?

Anthony

How many levels do you find useful to have Ant? Levels are metaphors to describe something. Just like science creates labels and concepts that are metaphors. The answer is that hypnosis does increase suggestion depending upon the "evidence" you base your criteria on.

But isn't this so basic some people feel the need to complicate it with pseudo academia? Which in turn doesn't contribute anything of value.

To answer the original poster rapport isn't always needed when hypnotizing. Especially in a stage setting.However you can learn and internalize rapport skills which are really more useful in other one-to-one or smaller group contexts. You will get better at rapport naturally as you practice. In the most basic level it just means getting people to go along with what you are saying. You can develop more complex rapport skills but they aren't required for what this forum is about. Keep it simple just focus on getting people to go along with you and practice until you get it right in your own way.

As usual "hypnotists" get caught up way too much in the act of "hypnotizing" instead of shifting their focus to what they want to do with it. Hypnosis is just the vehicle not the destination. A definition or description is only valuable as the results it allows you to create. Superior results are usually preceeded with a superior definition...forget about all the academic gobilty gook its worthless here.
ELDEMONIO
View Profile
Regular user
159 Posts

Profile of ELDEMONIO
Original poster here! Wow didn't think this post would create such debate. I find everyone's point of view fascinating. From my personal experience I'm on the school that hypnosis is real to the participant if and only if he truly believes in the hypnosis. However, I know there's compliance from many people from which hypnosis might not work. This lead me to think about the original question about rapport. Perhaps having rapport with those that aren't hypnotizable can yield better results than being an unlinked authoritative figure. Maybe suggestibility is heightened just because they like the performer.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
There is no such thing as someone who isn't hypnotizable. But not everyone is suitable for performance hypnosis.

In my experience it has zero to with whether they like a performer. Its more to do with the competency of a performer. You don't need long winded pre-talks full of jokes and "getting to know you". In fact many people are turned off by that and came to see hypnosis not a comedian.

Not all authoritative figures are disliked. They can be feared within a theatrical context much like why people pay to see scary films. Authority can also just mean they have credibility when performing..

Your over thinking just do it.
JonChase
View Profile
Loyal user
Exeter, UK
208 Posts

Profile of JonChase
I've only read a couple of the 'Latest Thinking' posts on this thread because I needed the smile and I Only read posts by people who have the Chtzpah to use their real name and put up a photo. So I am directly answering the original question and that answer is no, but being in rapport, which means both of you looking for the same result and has nothing whatever to do with liking or trusting does help with communication. Lets face it people who want and expect opposites tend not to listen very hard.

As for any suggestion be that to imagine something or to not imagine something, the Power of the suggestion is in how it is formulated and delivered. And for the record any suggestion that works, any suggestion, induces a result, and induce simply means to create or bring about. To suggest means to induce in someone other than oneself any action or thought that is accepted without reflection. That is after all what the words mean in English and for the sake of sanity lets just agree to use the same bloody language, makes life easier.

For the stage what we see is often what I call Awe Rapport. You get that by being an entertainer and it succeeds by dint of the audience and your victims wanting to be entertained. Actually the best emotion for people to be feeling when they come up is fear. That is because you can't be scared of something you don't believe in.
Smiles

Jon Chase

http://jonathanchase.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Suggestibility through Rapport (6 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL