The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » How do you rescue a failed card trick? (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
magic_man_jim
View Profile
Regular user
119 Posts

Profile of magic_man_jim
Thank you davidpaul$!!

You elaborated very well on my point to know the inside and out of a routine. That is exactly what I was going for you have to work with a deck and learn the moves and where to apply them to get yourself out of a sticky situation.

The use of the Cull is one of the most important moves in my book... Or a very polished pass...for the topic at hand.
Magic is not to fool...but allows you to believe!

Jim Boothe
www.jimboothemagic.com
jim@jimboothemagic.com
SatanicBurrito
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of SatanicBurrito
Invisible deck fails are the worst: "I over turned just one... no, sorry, two. Only two [crud!] or three cards in the deck over and look... one of them is [oh for goodness sake wrong side] I guess the same number card you chose but spades instead of diamonds."
myrealsphinx
View Profile
New user
Brazil
79 Posts

Profile of myrealsphinx
Quote:
On Jul 18, 2014, jimhlou wrote:
Just say ... "but that would have been a great trick, wouldn't it" and then move on to the next one

Jim

Michael Ammar have this line in his videos in some tricks... I think is a great way to escape or the misdirect
Alan Wheeler
View Profile
Inner circle
Posting since 2002 with
2038 Posts

Profile of Alan Wheeler
When Dai Vernon failed to find a card, he said something like "And no one is more disappointed than me"--which received a good laugh. Michael Ammar's line serves the same purpose.

Anyway, one has to acknowledge the situation and keep going. It seems good to have a line and a back-up trick in reserve!
The views and comments expressed on this post may be mere speculation and are not necessarily the opinions, values, or beliefs of Alan Wheeler.
A BLENDED PATH
Christian Reflections on Tarot
Word Crimes
Technology and Faith........Bad Religion
RedHatMagic
View Profile
Loyal user
UK
237 Posts

Profile of RedHatMagic
That is a beautiful line Smile
Let the Entertainment Commence!
kaubell
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of kaubell
I have used "well... that wouldve been too impossible", but usually I just say "lets try another one, this don't work" and people just accepts it. But I'm hobby guy, so I cant recommend anything for real working people.

When we see another side, we all are just people. If they laugh and get kick out of somebodys mistake, they are doing wrong for you. So if you just keep doing things right; you are polite and nice and other people mocks you for your mistake, they have to carry the consciousness of doing wrong thing for a nice man Smile
lifeofwonder
View Profile
New user
Australia
54 Posts

Profile of lifeofwonder
I go into a card ripping trick when it's not their card found. "I guess we won't need this card then..." Hoodwinked by Ben Harris is great.
realErdnase
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of realErdnase
Learn how to cull cards if something goes wrong you have them name card and then you can sneak it out of the deck and show it is in your pocket

or tell them their card needs a friend and pick new card and do trick with that, and sometime during or after trick you get back original selection

people don't know what is coming so you can make up effect as you go along so don't treat it as mistake.
Alexxander
View Profile
Elite user
Frankfurt, Germany
421 Posts

Profile of Alexxander
I almost never let people physically take a card out of the deck.. I do a spectator peek instead. And then I gl****e the card myself.
Then, nothing can go wrong. I can lose the card, the spectator can shuffle and I still can get the card back via culling. Or I do straight mind reading or a pseudo muscle reading demonstration.
kasper
View Profile
Loyal user
253 Posts

Profile of kasper
The line that I always use when I mess something up is. "They told me that this was going to be impossible. And you know what? They were right." Haha That line gets me out of a jam all the time. Smile
LewisF
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of LewisF
Cut to a random place and say: is that your card? When they say no then say: well one in 52 chance! Here pick another card. Basically just do another trick!
brandon90
View Profile
Special user
Atlanta
663 Posts

Profile of brandon90
My "get out of jail card" really depends on the effect I'm doing. The Invisible Deck is a great out, although I've never used that to save me from a failed effect.

For example: If I'm doing a mentalism trick with a deck cards and I "predict" the wrong card. that's OKAY. Tell your nephew not to freak out, stay calm and use a little patter to move along to another effect me personally I would do a simple "sandwich card" I'll take the card I failed to predict "lose" it in the deck Smile take two jacks, queens, whatever.. and perform a sandwich routine with that card. OR just go into an ACR routine, that's another classic out.

Just my two cents.. you could also play it off like its part of the effect or "experiment" but like I said my outs really depend on the effect I am performing.

The bottom line is, don't freak out, keep calm and continue on with your performance. Sometimes the laymen don't know any better Smile
Zephury
View Profile
Elite user
Hollywood, FL
488 Posts

Profile of Zephury
Though I don't use it, the invisible deck is definitely a good "out" if you're willing to carry it with you.

If you perform in your own home, or even in other places, you can come up with some really creative things that will make it more practical for you... For example, I was at Jeff McBride's house for the master class back in March and one of his "outs" is an invisible deck. In multiple places in his house, he has a red box on the wall with a glass cover and a glass breaking hammer attached to the side of the box, kind of like the fire emergency boxes when you have to break the glass. His says "Break in-case of emergency!" and behind it, sure enough, is an invisible deck. I thought that was really cool and I just wanted to share that with you.
Ben Seatreader
View Profile
Regular user
The College of Winterhold
103 Posts

Profile of Ben Seatreader
Kolossal Killer was originally designed as the ultimate 'out'.
Nephew: "Is this your card?"
Spec: "Nope."
Nephew: "Of course not, your card is in my wallet." (Produces card).
Spec:(Swallows tongue).
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » How do you rescue a failed card trick? (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL