The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Strict abilities (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
cpbartak
View Profile
Special user
Mooresville, NC
941 Posts

Profile of cpbartak
I'm curious, what percent of the posters here have a strict persona with a single 'special' ability, as hinted at in Fundamentals as preferable? Whenever I see an effect like Ran Pink's Cut become a best-seller it baffles me. Sure, it's a cool looking effect, but, come on, are there really that many of us who have personas that have the ability to heal our bodies? And then there's favorite effect threads that pop up every week which also makes me suspect that far too many of the posters here do not have well-established personas, and do not have characters who drive their effect selection, but instead look for cool effects to randomly throw together to "make a show."
Some people hear voices.. Some see invisible people.. Others have no imagination whatsoever.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
As I've always said, the more abilities you claim (either expressly or by implication), the less believable you will be.
insight
View Profile
Inner circle
3095 Posts

Profile of insight
I think Cpbartak brings up a great point. I am also of the belief that the claiming of more than one "special" ability dilutes credibility. Unfortunately, I think there are more people (than not) pursuing mentalism wanting to look "cool" instead of cohesively and purposefully integrating a persona that will be credible to the audience.

Bob's quote really is the bottom line on the issue.

Regards,
Mike
innercirclewannabe
View Profile
Inner circle
Ireland
1581 Posts

Profile of innercirclewannabe
Perhaps the real question should be to try and establish the actual % of posters on here that perform for a paying audience. I would think that any performer with a definite persona would hardly be buying everything that comes out, just to look "cool" to their audience.
Tá sé ach cleas má dhéanann tú sé cuma mhaith ar cheann.
sandsjr
View Profile
Special user
840 Posts

Profile of sandsjr
The fact is ALL people think of magicians as doing tricks but a good number of them think mentalists might have a special gift. This is a mentalists greatest asset in my opinion. It's what makes you more intriguing... it's what helps you to earn more dollars! It's what takes all the "heat" off of you. Why almost assuredly sacrifice that experience (and everything else) by showing them a trick? As already stated, multiple abilities is akin to doing a magic trick with regards to the way a spectator perceives you IMO.

I would imagine the logic sequence in the mind of a spectator upon seeing the linking rings at a mentalism show would be... He made the 2 steel rings connect, that's impossible, even though I couldn't see how he did it, it was a trick... sooo maybe that thing he did with the drawing is just a trick too.

To each his own. But I can't understand what would prompt someone who considers themselves a mentalist to do magic tricks. But it's just my opinion and I know everybody has one. Smile
Magic.Maddy
View Profile
Inner circle
1861 Posts

Profile of Magic.Maddy
I know many of you will hate me for this, but I do "mentalism." In my "mentalism" shows, I sometimes explain how I do it (conflicting brains) and then I do the effects. I don't limit myself or my abilities nor do I claim to have any power other than being in tune with my own mind. In the end, hopefully the audience will look back and think "hmm... Well I don't know how he could have done it, but I guess he just knows the brain better than us." I never want them to think "Hmm, I don't know how he did it. He must have really been reading our minds." I don't want my audience to believe I'm psychic. I just want them to be entertained and enjoy my presentations.

I know a lot of people disagree with me, but that's my personal view. A big part of this is where I live. I live in "the Bible Belt" where if I claimed to be REALLY reading minds, I may make many people uncomfortable and could quite possibly have people walk out. (Crazy, I know.)
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
How is claiming to read minds the same as claiming to be psychic? Dunninger referred to what he did as "scientific thought reading." There are innumerable ways to know what someone is thinking without the need for psychic abilities.

So when I tell people I'm a mind reader, it's true. I WILL end up telling them what they're thinking without them telling me.

Everything I do after that, is consistent with that simple claim. If I proceeded to bend metal, predict the future, exhibit apparent clairvoyance or blindfold vision, I would be diluting that simple claim and making it much more likely that people will conclude they are watching tricks.

It's really that simple- as far as I'm concerned anyway.

But there is a contradiction in your post. You wrote that "I don't limit my abilities," but then go on to say that the only thing you claim is being in tune with your own mind. THAT is a limitation. If everything you do is consistent with that, you are, basically, agreeing with me. The only problem that will arise is if you demonstrate abilities that clearly have nothing to do with being "in tune" with your own mind- like thought reading, for example, which is the essence of mentalism. If your only ability is being in tune with your own mind, how does that explain your being able to read the minds of others? That would be making the claim that you are in tune with THEIR minds as well.

Problems like these arise when a performer doesn't have a clear cut (i.e., SPECIFIC) vision of EXACTLY what it is he's supposed to be demonstrating. If it's just a vague "being in tune with my own mind," you're really muddying the waters because, if you think about it, that claim is basically meaningless. WHAT, specifically, are you able to do and HOW are you able to do it?

What is your back story?
Magic.Maddy
View Profile
Inner circle
1861 Posts

Profile of Magic.Maddy
Quote:
On Jul 20, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
How is claiming to read minds the same as claiming to be psychic? Dunninger referred to what he did as "scientific thought reading." There are innumerable ways to know what someone is thinking without the need for psychic abilities.

So when I tell people I'm a mind reader, it's true. I WILL end up telling them what they're thinking without them telling me.

Everything I do after that, is consistent with that simple claim. If I proceeded to bend metal, predict the future, exhibit apparent clairvoyance or blindfold vision, I would be diluting that simple claim and making it much more likely that people will conclude they are watching tricks.

It's really that simple- as far as I'm concerned anyway.


I knew that my post would tickle your fancy Mr. Cassidy. Smile

Just my personal views, that's all. I know it's hard to understand without being in the Bible Belt, it's a different world. If people don't understand it, it's bad. Some people even rebuke me for doing magic tricks. Because "it's a lie" when you start dealing with people's brains and knowing things, people are touchy.

The "theme" I revolve around is tht I understand how the brain works on a deeper level. In that respect, I only stick to that. I don't bend metal or anything. I sometimes do PK touches, but around the premise of linking their brains.


The idea is that no one fully understand their brain and in order to understand others brains, you have to first understand your own brain. I just perform the effects. I don't give explanations other than my first initial explanation (which I don't always say)
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
But what does "linking their brains" have to do with your being in touch with your own mind?

Look at it this way, Maddy- if you don't have a clear cut idea of what your supposed to be demonstrating, it will be hard to really believe in the role you're playing. And if you don't believe it, most other people won't either.

And I don't imagine that if you ever turn professional, your goal would be to work the Bible Belt forever. It's a big world out there.
Magic.Maddy
View Profile
Inner circle
1861 Posts

Profile of Magic.Maddy
Quote:
On Jul 20, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
But what does "linking their brains" have to do with your being in touch with your own mind?

Look at it this way, Maddy- if you don't have a clear cut idea of what your supposed to be demonstrating, it will be hard to really believe in the role you're playing. And if you don't believe it, most other people won't either.

And I don't imagine that if you ever turn professional, your goal would be to work the Bible Belt forever. It's a big world out there.


You sure are correct about that last statement, but until then...

And I act a ton. I understand a lot about believing in your character.

I have an "explanation" of my character that is specifically general and maybe even slightly "muddy" so that the audience is left wondering how.

The reason you can't understand it is because you are trying to fit everything I do under that one limiting power, and as I said, I don't limit myself.

But I you must know, the PK touch routine is used to explain how I read minds. How we are all connected if we could just focus intently on what we FEEL. After PK touches, I go into a routine where one spectators sends another spectator a code to a lock. So first it's physical then it's mental.

But as I stated, I don't limit myself. But it still works.

One more thing, I'm not a character when I perform. I'm 100% me Smile
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Your words:

Quote:
...nor do I claim to have any power other than being in tune with my own mind.


How is that NOT a limitation? It would seem to be one that would limit you to memory, rapid calculation and "Rain Man" type material.
Amirá
View Profile
Inner circle
MentalismCenter.com
5134 Posts

Profile of Amirá
Quote:
On Jul 20, 2014, cpbartak wrote:
I'm curious, what percent of the posters here have a strict persona with a single 'special' ability, as hinted at in Fundamentals as preferable? Whenever I see an effect like Ran Pink's Cut become a best-seller it baffles me. Sure, it's a cool looking effect, but, come on, are there really that many of us who have personas that have the ability to heal our bodies? And then there's favorite effect threads that pop up every week which also makes me suspect that far too many of the posters here do not have well-established personas, and do not have characters who drive their effect selection, but instead look for cool effects to randomly throw together to "make a show."


Depends in where do you came from as performer/artist.
If you care about credibility, "healing your body" is a complex presentational frame to create as credible, but if you are performing a theatrical act, understanding that as experience the work of an actor doing the part of a "self healer", the mystery is taken by the audience in other level.

In our terms, that effect is clearly more "bizarre magick" related and not Mentalism, but those are our concepts. Real audiences don't know that definitions and they experience something "magical" and a moment that they cannot understand comparing it with normal "reality", ergo, magical (not magic trick perse)

In my opinion and experience, a subtext as performer is essential, but I am sure that some performer out there is performing this effect or others with a similar "affect" and reaching his goals successfully due previous work and study.
All this layers of thoughts are subjetive, but what isn't subjective is being mediocre , doing tricks without a serious care about the art.


Best
Pablo
Performer and Author

Mentalism Center: The best online space to get quality Mentalism
www.mentalismcenter.com

Arkanosophy: The Boutique for Mystery Performers
www.arkanosophy.com
Magic.Maddy
View Profile
Inner circle
1861 Posts

Profile of Magic.Maddy
Quote:
On Jul 20, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
Your words:

Quote:
...nor do I claim to have any power other than being in tune with my own mind.


How is that NOT a limitation? It would seem to be one that would limit you to memory, rapid calculation and "Rain Man" type material.



Because, how much could REALLY be done if you fully understood the power of your brain and could use it for everything it's meant for? The brain is a powerful thing.
Investigative Mentalist
View Profile
Special user
Seattle, WA
501 Posts

Profile of Investigative Mentalist
As someone who has only started to get really SERIOUS about mentalism in the past few months, Bob Cassidy's teleseminar "Beyond Fundamentals: The Act" has been a huge help because it forced me to focus consider what is the ONE special talent I want to present to an audience and make sure every effect comes only from that talent.

In my case, I have settled on "mind reading" (like Bob) and I love the term "scientific thought reading."

I wish I had figured this out sooner, because over the past few months I bought several books and videos that gave great effects but most do not fit my "mind reading" persona.

Now, I only purchase books/videos that have effects that will fit my adopted persona. For example, I bought Atlas Brookings "Train Tracking" which is a perfect example of a pure mind reading effect.

I recently purchased Bob Cassidy's "Remote Viewing" teleseminar and while RV is not strictly a "mind reeading" effect, Bob does explain ways that you can adapt some of the presentations to fit a mind reading persona.

Once you focus in on ONE specific type of mentalism ability, it makes it much easier to weed out effects that don't fit and develop an Act.

Previously, I was overwhelmed by all the new material I was learning and I was starting to suffer from "paralysis of analysis."
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On Jul 20, 2014, Magic.Maddy wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 20, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
Your words:

Quote:
...nor do I claim to have any power other than being in tune with my own mind.


How is that NOT a limitation? It would seem to be one that would limit you to memory, rapid calculation and "Rain Man" type material.



Because, how much could REALLY be done if you fully understood the power of your brain and could use it for everything it's meant for? The brain is a powerful thing.


So you ARE making innumerable claims then. Think about it.

And that brings us back to where we started- the more claims you make, either expressly OR BY IMPLICATION, the less believable you will be.
Magic.Maddy
View Profile
Inner circle
1861 Posts

Profile of Magic.Maddy
Quote:
On Jul 20, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 20, 2014, Magic.Maddy wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 20, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
Your words:

Quote:
...nor do I claim to have any power other than being in tune with my own mind.


How is that NOT a limitation? It would seem to be one that would limit you to memory, rapid calculation and "Rain Man" type material.



Because, how much could REALLY be done if you fully understood the power of your brain and could use it for everything it's meant for? The brain is a powerful thing.


So you ARE making innumerable claims then. Think about it.

And that brings us back to where we started- the more claims you make, either expressly OR BY IMPLICATION, the less believable you will be.



Which, in turn, brings us back to what I stated: I'm not trying to be a "believable" anything. Just creating moments of wonder and entertainment Smile
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Without the believability factor, what you're doing is no longer mentalism.
Magic.Maddy
View Profile
Inner circle
1861 Posts

Profile of Magic.Maddy
Quote:
On Jul 20, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
Without the believability factor, what you're doing is no longer mentalism.



Correct. Just entertainment and mystery. (Hints the "mentalism" in quotation marks in my first response Smile )

I understand that you are a PHENOMENAL performer/ thinker in the mentalism world. I know you know your stuff. But I also know who I am both as a person and a performer, and my favorite thing about my shows is that they are all ME. No characters no amazing supernatural abilities, just ME.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
The quotes don't convey that at all. You wrote:

Quote:
I know many of you will hate me for this, but I do "mentalism."


If that's not what you meant, it would have been a lot clearer if you just wrote, "I DON'T do mentalism in the traditional sense, just entertainment and mystery."

But I predict that one day you'll have a different understanding of what I'm talking about.
cpbartak
View Profile
Special user
Mooresville, NC
941 Posts

Profile of cpbartak
I thought you don't do predictions? Smile
Some people hear voices.. Some see invisible people.. Others have no imagination whatsoever.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Strict abilities (5 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL