The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Strict abilities (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Magic.Maddy
View Profile
Inner circle
1861 Posts

Profile of Magic.Maddy
Quote:
On Jul 20, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
The quotes don't convey that at all. You wrote:

Quote:
I know many of you will hate me for this, but I do "mentalism."

If that's not what you meant, it would have been a lot clearer if you just wrote, "I DON'T do mentalism in the traditional sense, just entertainment and mystery."

But I predict that one day you'll have a different understanding of what I'm talking about.

I'm sure my show and ideas about performing will change. Because I will change Smile But hey, maybe it will happen sooner than later!
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On Jul 20, 2014, cpbartak wrote:
I thought you don't do predictions? Smile

That wasn't a psychic prediction.Smile More like a feeling.
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1736 Posts

Profile of jakeg
When I first started out, Joe Dunninger told me that if I wanted to develop a reputation aa a mind reader, I should never do predictions. That being said, I watched Kreskin start his act doing the Himber linking finger rings, and if I remember correctly, he presented it as a magic trick, which didn't seem to hurt his career.
There are some great routines which border on predictions: Cofabulation, and The diary routine, both of which, I believe would be acceptable in any mindreading act.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

And as I've noted earlier, while both Kreskin and Dunninger both occasionally opened with magic tricks (Dunninger would sometimes produce a sponsor's product from a modified egg bag, or do the linking rings), both had already established reputations as mentalists/mind readers. The addition of a "trick" was, therefore, hardly as jarring as it would have been if they were unknowns. (Kreskin now also plays piano in his act, but he is accepted as being a bit quirky and it doesn't diminish or change his image as a mentalist.)

And, obviously, I do the diary routine regularly. But it is presented as an experiment in synchronicity, not as a prediction. Likewise, many predictions can be presented as examples of mental influence (or the projecting of thoughts) rather than precognition.

The key is making the presentation consistent with your implied claims.
Magic.Maddy
View Profile
Inner circle
1861 Posts

Profile of Magic.Maddy
Quote:
The key is making the presentation consistent with your implied claims.

DING DING DING DING DING!!!
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Maddy- You still don't seem to get what I'm saying. Your implied claim is so broad that it encompasses everything. But, as you said, that doesn't matter if you don't care about being believable.
Magic.Maddy
View Profile
Inner circle
1861 Posts

Profile of Magic.Maddy
Quote:
Maddy- You still don't seem to get what I'm saying. Your implied claim is so broad that it encompasses everything. But, as you said, that doesn't matter if you don't care about being believable.

Correct! Haha

I'm just having fun with the thread now Smile You could just about make any effect fit into any persona with a little thought and presentational angle.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Not really. But never mind.
Ulrich
View Profile
Loyal user
238 Posts

Profile of Ulrich
Quote:
On Jul 20, 2014, Magic.Maddy wrote:
Quote:

Correct! Haha

I'm just having fun with the thread now Smile You could just about make any effect fit into any persona with a little thought and presentational angle.

"Now I will read the mind of this spoon... Look carefully, I'm implying something known as NLP, neuro linguistic programming now, and I will make her bend! Bend spoon, bend! As you can see ladies and gentlemen, I've read this spoon's mind, and together with very underground suggestion techniques, I made her bend. Thank you!"
Magic.Maddy
View Profile
Inner circle
1861 Posts

Profile of Magic.Maddy
Quote:
On Jul 21, 2014, Ulrich wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 20, 2014, Magic.Maddy wrote:
Quote:

Correct! Haha

"Now I will read the mind of this spoon... Look carefully, I'm implying something known as NLP, neuro linguistic programming now, and I will make her bend! Bend spoon, bend! As you can see ladies and gentlemen, I've read this spoon's mind, and together with very underground suggestion techniques, I made her bend. Thank you!"

"Ladies and gentlemen, I have to admit that when I read minds, there are side effects some times. Some people have a slight shock or sometimes it even alters my environment. I'm not sure this will work, because it's a side effect, I can't really control it, HOWEVER I will try to capture this moment any way. I found it sometimes moves things. I'll hold this spoon and maybe as I read your mind, this spoon will start spinning or somethig similar.

*proceed to read a mind*

Now let's take a look at the spoon... Oh my! That was a SUPER powerful moment! Look at the spoon! It has bent!! Wow. Now everyone should believe that I have super powers. Yes, you all MAY kiss my feet. Thank you!"

Just takes a little though Ulrich.
Ulrich
View Profile
Loyal user
238 Posts

Profile of Ulrich
You don't get my point dear.

I'm talking about a psychology presentation of mind reading, not a mind reading presentation. I, and many others, cannot imagine how to connect "psychology expert" persona with mind reading. Same with self-healing, psychokinesis and others. "I'm an expert in psychology and non-verbal communication and when I read minds, I somehow bend metal, which I cannot explain", that doesn't make any sense.

Just spend a little thought about it Maddy Smile

Blessings
Ulrich
MatCult
View Profile
Inner circle
1518 Posts

Profile of MatCult
Quote:
On Jul 21, 2014, Magic.Maddy wrote:

"Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business."
Magic.Maddy
View Profile
Inner circle
1861 Posts

Profile of Magic.Maddy
Quote:
On Jul 21, 2014, MatCult wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 21, 2014, Magic.Maddy wrote:

Hahahaha that's great!
Magic.Maddy
View Profile
Inner circle
1861 Posts

Profile of Magic.Maddy
Quote:
On Jul 21, 2014, Ulrich wrote:
You don't get my point dear.

I'm talking about a psychology presentation of mind reading, not a mind reading presentation. I, and many others, cannot imagine how to connect "psychology expert" persona with mind reading. Same with self-healing, psychokinesis and others. "I'm an expert in psychology and non-verbal communication and when I read minds, I somehow bend metal, which I cannot explain", that doesn't make any sense.

Just spend a little thought about it Maddy Smile

Blessings
Ulrich

I'm afraid your missing MY point Ulrich, but if you're looking for a pat on the back and a cookie, here you go!

Pat Pat Pat

*produces chocolate chip cookie*

"Now you see, ladies and gentlemen, I was born with a gift of time traveling. What you just witnessed was me traveling back in time to the first creation of a Cookie! You are welcome!"

Okay, I'm done now, promise!

Thanks for letting me have some fun guys! And thanks Mr. Cassidy for your awesome advice. Hopefully this thread has taught something to some people (besides when to stop posting XP)

-Madison-
Ulrich
View Profile
Loyal user
238 Posts

Profile of Ulrich
You are so funny Madison!
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

For the last time on this thread- The more abilities you claim, either expressly or impliedly, the less believable you will be.

If you don't care about believability, or at least reasonable plausibility, you are doing magic, not mentalism. (Whether you put "mentalism" in quotation marks or not.)
cpbartak
View Profile
Special user
Mooresville, NC
941 Posts

Profile of cpbartak
A lteast you were willing to admit that you mix different abilities, Maddy. I suspect many others are afraid to admit it.
Some people hear voices.. Some see invisible people.. Others have no imagination whatsoever.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Postscript to my previous:

(Do you think I'd be more credible to the public if, instead of "The Master Mind Reader," I called myself "Magic Bob?" Smile)
Magic.Maddy
View Profile
Inner circle
1861 Posts

Profile of Magic.Maddy
Quote:
On Jul 21, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
Postscript to my previous:

(Do you think I'd be more credible to the public if, instead of "The Master Mind Reader," I called myself "Magic Bob?" Smile)

Absolutely not, Mr. Cassidy.

HOWEVER, everyone can't be "The Master Mind Reader." That's your schtick. It works for YOU. So many professionals have found a formula that works for THEM and try to sell it to the public as a "there's only one way to be successful" formula. Each unique individual needs to create their own formula, not try to cram themselves into the limits of someone else's formula.

Oops, I lied. I posted again Smile
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Hmmm. Finding your own persona, abilities and back story is what I've always advocated- along with maintaining the credibility of mentalism. I don't recall EVER writing that my way was the only way.

It's not.

But, again, without some level of credibility, what we do would simply be magic tricks, not mentalism.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Strict abilities (5 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL