The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » The Secret History of the Seance (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

gmeister
View Profile
Inner circle
1578 Posts

Profile of gmeister
Hi All:

Just alerting you that a new work by Bill Montana--The Secret History of the Seance--is now available as en ebook.

I'll be doing a full review of it soon and while Bill is my friend, I don't do many reviews and when I do I don't pull punches.

For now, suffice it to say that this a a radical approach to the seance in America--radical in the sense that it goes back to its roots and shows how the versions most are familiar with significantly diverged from these origins, not necessarily for the better. Besides the historical aspects, the book contains a number of effects to craft, including spirit hands, corroded coins, a sound device and a do-it-yourself version of Bill's no longer available spirit slate.

The book was prepared as a curtain-raiser for televised lectures on seances/spiritualism that Bill will be giving a few months from now. This will be a chance to see if he really exists.

Warning: this is a Bill Montana work, which means it's controversial. Be forewarned, although for some this alone will be enough reason to snap it up. I've read it, I've fact-checked the history (for reasons of my own) and found it solid, although I make no claims about the personal experiences Bill cites. Right now I'm working through the effects and, as I said, I'll post a full review later.

Full Disclosure: Bill sent me a copy of this for my own research purposes. I didn't pay for it, but I would have for the historical insights alone. First impressions: It's not a perfect work, but it is a fascinating and practical one and should certainly spark discussion. Further, the price/knowledge ratio is high. Were I a practicing performer, I would certainly incorporate chunks of this book, although I would adapt them, something that Bill encourages. Others I wouldn't touch, primarily for safety reasons (and Bill included the appropriate cautions).

Purchase information is available directly through Bill, who's a member here--MentalistCreationLab.

NB: Any spelling/grammatical errors in this post are, unfortunately, my own!
Jamie D
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2292 Posts

Profile of Jamie D
I've always had a fascination with this line of work and sometimes include a small segment into my routine. What fascinates me the most is the actual history on such work but I'm Glad to see Bill is releasing this. Do you know if there will ever be a hard copy of this?
Twitter @darjames
gmeister
View Profile
Inner circle
1578 Posts

Profile of gmeister
I believe there's also a spiral-bound print copy available if you contact Bill.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » The Secret History of the Seance (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL