The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Looking for some inspiration (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

jmcgrath
View Profile
Regular user
Tomorrow I'll make another
147 Posts

Profile of jmcgrath
Hi All,

After several years of working on cards and ropes and such like I have recently seen the light and started focusing more on my coin magic. I would describe myself as in the early stages of an intermediate coin magician. I have a good classic palm in either hand and a few good vanishes and such like but no real stunning routines. I have always used coin magic for the off-beat stuff where some one asks to see something and they give me a coin or I have nothing else to hand.

I already have Jay Sankeys Revolutionary Coin Magic vid, a few of the David Roth ones, Bobo and a great book called Stand Up Coin Power by

So here is the big question…

I’m looking for some inspiration and good routines (I realise that I already have heaps in the above material but you know how it goes…), preferably on DVD/video, but books/manuscripts are still OK.

So if you had to recommend 3 what would they be?

Thanks,

John
John McGrath
Bernard Sim
View Profile
Inner circle
Singapore
1095 Posts

Profile of Bernard Sim
1)Knock-out Coin Magic by Michael Rubinstein is very GOOD! It has routines and some new sleights.
2)David Stone's video (2 vols) is good as well.
3)Mike Gallo's Siamese Coin , comes with gimmick, book and video (performance only)
4)Dynasty Continues by Mike Gallo is good, but it is very though to do, though.
Bernard Sim
jmcgrath
View Profile
Regular user
147 Posts

Profile of jmcgrath
Bernard,

Thanks for the advice. I had already thought about Michael Rubinstein and was pondering on the 2 David Stone's videos so it’s good to hear that you recommend them.

What about the Sol Stone video, is that recommended by anyone?

John
John McGrath
Risto L.
View Profile
Regular user
Finland
174 Posts

Profile of Risto L.
It seems to me you already have some very good sources. However, you can`t go wrong with Michael Ammar`s Easy to Master Money Miracles. By the way, Stand-up Coin Power is one of my favorites too. I am currently working on my own routine, which is inspired by "Magnetised coins" found in Stand-up Coin Power.
Bernard Sim
View Profile
Inner circle
Singapore
1095 Posts

Profile of Bernard Sim
The Pentium Change from Stand-up Coin power is very good. It may not read as good as it is, but it is a very visual change. Can be used as a vanish as well. Smile
Bernard Sim
jmcgrath
View Profile
Regular user
147 Posts

Profile of jmcgrath
Hi Risto,

I agree that I already have good sources, but I to be completely honest I just want to have some more videos to see more of it performed and that in turn will spark off my own routines.

I would also like to see a larger range of performance styles as I find David Roth to be very wooden and Mr Sankey (a minor god in my opinion) to be right out at the other extreme, whereas my performance persona is more the Sankey side of normal.

Basically I just want to indulge myself….

Thanks for your comments,

John
John McGrath
MAGICTOM
View Profile
Veteran user
Dallas, Tx
354 Posts

Profile of MAGICTOM
Stone Tapes are by far my favorite source.
He has great routines, and I have watched them over a 100 times and still learn something each time. Definitely recommended.

The Roth tapes are excellent as well, but most of his routines I found are more adapted to being seated at a table, while Stone's are all standing performances. This may be why his tapes appear to be so much better, for I rarely perform seated at a table.
Good luck
Tom Smile
No Man is his craft's master the first day!
J.B. Bobo
Full Effect
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles
257 Posts

Profile of Full Effect
Jay Sankey has great material --one of my favorites.
Sol Stone's DVD has some nice, quick coin routines.
You can never go wrong with Michael Ammar.
Michael Rubinstein "Knock Out Coin Magic" series... I live by it.
My newest videos to my collection are "Three Pieces of Silver" by Rune Klan, a Danish magician, and "Up in Smoke" by Paul Cummins.
Almost forgot --Dean Dill's "Coin Magic 2000" has some very nice tabled coin routines.
"Running water never becomes stale, so keep flowing" - Immortal Dragon Bruce Lee
CardTrix
View Profile
New user
Springfield, IL
52 Posts

Profile of CardTrix
I agree with you jmcgrath that David Roth is a bit dry, he's an excellent coin worker but he's just a bit dull to learn by.

Jay Sankey is great with the coins, if you ever get the chance to see him at a lecture or convention by all means go...the man is a riot.

If you're not limiting yourself to video's, a great book that has many fine coin routines is DesTroyers by Troy Hooser. You might want to check him out.
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6243 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
You've got a great library already, but if you wait awhile my friend, Shoot Ogawa, will be putting out a series of tapes that have some new techniques, new moves and outstanding routines. He has a coins across that is killing them at the conventions and the Castle. I think by the end of the summer we should be advertising the tapes. Look for them, but I'll keep the Cafe posted as they get closer to production.
Greg Arce
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
3834 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
I hope that I don't sound like an advertisement, but L&L just re-released my Encyclopedia of Coin Sleights, originally put out in 1985. They contain over 100 coin moves, many never published before. They are described in detail at the L&L web site, and somewhere else in this forum. - Michael Rubinstein
First edition sold out in RECORD TIME, but don't despair, you can still get your signed copy and special FREE GIFT!! BE SURE TO ORDER NOW, AS I ONLY HAVE A FEW LEFT THAT I CAN SIGN!! When they go, I won't get ANY MORE that I can sign!!
RUBINSTEIN COIN MAGIC- The biggest book on coin magic since Bobo's Modern Coin Magic, and the most important since David Roth's Expert Coin Magic! Hardbound, 500 pages, 20 chapters of state of the art coin magic illustrated with 930 crisp photos! A contribution chapter from over 20 of the world's top coin magicians! This will be the book against which all future books on coin magic will be measured! Already called a Modern Classic!! To get ordering information, email me at rubinsteindvm@aol.com
ORDER YOURS TODAY!!
jmcgrath
View Profile
Regular user
147 Posts

Profile of jmcgrath
Well it looks like my shopping basket will finally have the 2 David Stone, Michael Rubinstein and Paul Cummings videos in it. They seem to fulfil my requirements of stand up, (I have never had the chance to sit while working professionally so anything seated is of zero use to me) entertaining and challenging.

I also have pencilled in Dan Watkins manuscript when it comes out, and I’ll keep a lookout for reviews of the Shoot Ogawa stuff in the near future.

Thanks everyone for your advice and time.

Regards,

John
John McGrath
Doug Peters
View Profile
Special user
I have a life, so I only have
589 Posts

Profile of Doug Peters
I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned Curtis Kam's "Palms of Steel" or the Stevens "Coin Classics Volume 1" videos. Both videos have excellent "real world" routines. I enjoyed the Rune Klan tape, too.

Good luck, Doug
"if you have any answers, it's time to ask harder questions!"
Geoff Williams
View Profile
Special user
St. Pete Beach, FL
617 Posts

Profile of Geoff Williams
John,

It's Paul "Cummins" and his stuff is highly recommended.

I would also recommend Rune Klan's "3 Pieces of Silver" VERY highly.
"Saját légpárnás tele van angolnák."

(Hungarian for "My hovercraft is full of eels")
Lizix
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of Lizix
Wow you guys know a lot! I have a tape by Jeff McBride that I think is realy good. It's called Jeff McBride's Essential Sleight-Of-Hand Techniques for coins, balls, and thimbles. I think it's a really good tape and it has a really cool routine called the Miser's Dream Routine. It shows some neat stuff with thimbles, too.

Lizix

Smile
Geoff Williams
View Profile
Special user
St. Pete Beach, FL
617 Posts

BTW, most of Shoot Ogawa's coin magic isn't for the faint of heart (he does things like use the Muscle Pass as a secret loading technique).

Very cool stuff but definitely NOT for beginners. It's something to aspire to, though.

Tim David
View Profile
Regular user
MA
164 Posts

Profile of Tim David
Paul Cummins is the man! Very workable stuff. Jay Sankey's is good, as is David Stone's (I like Vol. 2 better), but how come nobody has mentioned Cody Fisher or Troy Hooser??? Cody's got amazing real-world stuff (3 terrific routines on his vid.) and Troy is just Troy! Get the Silver Surf Series. Just buy it. For the money it's worth it.
Go spread some wonder

http://www.TimDavidMagic.com
Geoff Williams
View Profile
Special user
St. Pete Beach, FL
617 Posts

Wasn't Cody Fisher's video panned rather harshly in a review in the most recent MAGIC (or was it GENII)?

Platt
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1874 Posts

Profile of Platt
Well, once again I must recommend the Sylvester Pitch '98 video. I've had more fun with that move than any other sleight in magic. It truly is mindboggling. Imagine putting a coin into your right hand (doing the old French drop) and apparently putting the coin into your right pocket. Wow, it's back in your left hand. Well, It doesn't take an ivy league education to know what happened. Here's where Dan Sylvester's ingenious move comes into play. You can now cleanly show your right hand empty, cleanly put the coin into your right hand which goes to the pocket and have a coin instantly appear in left hand. This ultra-clean, completely invisible coin production can go on and on. Mix it up with a few retention passes(which he gets into on the video) and you can then start pulling handful after handful of coins out the air. Dan gets into a great coins across routine using his move as well. This is coin magic at its best.
Sugar Rush is here! Freakishly visual magic. http://www.plattmagic.com
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
John,
Never one to hide my light under a bushel, may I recommend my own No-gimmick Scotch and Soda, and its accompanying story line, which appeared in my Showtime column in the Linking Ring in June, of 1998.
If you are interested -- or anyone else, for that matter -- e-mail me (address below) and I'll e-mail the whole thing back to you.
cheers,
Peter Marucci
showtimecol@aol.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Looking for some inspiration (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.27 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL