The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » They've started making robots for war that look too life like... (18 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5707 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Well, for me at least. Have a look...

AlphaDog, U.S. Marines Robot Pack Animal - Legged Squad Support System |AiirSource

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cr-wBpYpSfE
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
silvercup
View Profile
Loyal user
223 Posts

Profile of silvercup
Air Force Bugbot Nano Drone Technology freaks me out.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5707 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On Jul 22, 2014, silvercup wrote:
Air Force Bugbot Nano Drone Technology freaks me out.

While all guided weapons kill, when they start looking too close like sentient beings, it hits too close to home for me... Smile

Here's a full documentary on America Building Robots Army for the future...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ci7EFmO260E
MobilityBundle
View Profile
Regular user
Las Vegas/Boston
120 Posts

Profile of MobilityBundle
AlphaDog is put out by a company called Boston Dynamics. They're kind of local rock stars here in Boston. Also check out the Big Dog from Boston Dynamics... really cool control systems.
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3649 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
It seems huge to carry just 100 lbs. but it looks promising.

It could help firefighters in the mountains carry equipment.

-Mary Mowder
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
2878 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Imperial walkers, here we come!
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Profile of General_Magician
Quote:
On Jul 22, 2014, Pakar Ilusi wrote:

AlphaDog, U.S. Marines Robot Pack Animal - Legged Squad Support System |AiirSource

Human beings win wars, not machines or robots. I see a danger in becoming too machine dependent. Marines and soldiers need to be able to travel long distances on foot, with a heavy amount of equipment, without help from a machine. There is no substitute for the man, the human being. There are a lot of dangers to becoming too machine dependent. Don't get me wrong, I believe in technology too, but I believe in human beings more and the fundamental skills and level of physical fitness a soldier needs to be effective on the battlefield. Plus, if soldiers become machine dependent, it can hurt the tactical proficiency of troops in the Army. There is no substitute for tactical proficiency. No amount of firepower or machines are a substitute for tactical proficiency.

It also reminds me of the movie Terminator:
"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there is a light shining somewhere nearby." -unknown

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27083 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Human beings lose wars. What wages or "wins" a war is its own topic.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27083 Posts

Quote:

Impressive.

not sure about cost-effective on a per-mile basis but still impressive.
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5783 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
First off it looks like a cow not a dog.

Second off. Anyone who ignores that war is won on supply lines, and dismisses this, is misinformed.

Third. Did they just say "kamondant" in referring to American marines. You should all be outrageously embarassed that none of you spoke out about this pro nazi lingo.

DISGRACEFUL. The company involved should be sacked and sold off to the highest bidder.

Mechanical supply cows are your future. If you dislike technology so, lets do away with the humvees and the tanks and all of it. War is won by footie soldiers with no support other than what they pack. Right????

Simply disgraceful of anyone who thinks technological adavances to supply lines are not a solution. Which isn't most of you.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6527 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On Jul 22, 2014, Jonathan Townsend wrote:

I disagree
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27083 Posts

Quote:
On Jul 23, 2014, magicfish wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 22, 2014, Jonathan Townsend wrote:

I disagree

what does the notion of "to win" mean to a machine?
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3649 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
About the same as getting to the show on time means to my car.

-Mary Mowder
MobilityBundle
View Profile
Regular user
Las Vegas/Boston
120 Posts

Quote:
On Jul 22, 2014, General_Magician wrote:
Quote:

Human beings win wars, not machines or robots. I see a danger in becoming too machine dependent. Marines and soldiers need to be able to travel long distances on foot, with a heavy amount of equipment, without help from a machine....

You realize that "heavy equipment" comprises a bunch of machines, right?
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Heavy equipment doesn't win it Mobile, it's the infantry on the ground that wins it. One of the reasons we lost Vietnam in my view is an over-reliance on firepower and machines. The NVA had some very good light infantry and won the war in the end despite our B-52s and heavy equipment. They also were the ones choosing when a battle took place and made good use of tunnels to circumvent our firepower and technology advantages. It appears that is what is happening today with Israel fighting Hamas despite Israel's technological advantages. Their is no substitute for the man and good hard training for the infantry and also good tactics for the infantry. Some of our Vietnam Vets learned this lesson the hard way in Vietnam, which I took the lessons they learned the hard way in Vietnam to help me survive in Afghanistan. And, they were correct from what I read in their books (John H. Poole has written extensively on tactics and ways to help the current generation of soldiers make it back home alive from Iraq and Afghanistan, he is a Vietnam Vet and his books were a valuable resource to me and I am grateful to him as well). You can read about one of my favorite authors here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H._John_Poole
"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there is a light shining somewhere nearby." -unknown

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
MobilityBundle
View Profile
Regular user
Las Vegas/Boston
120 Posts

Actually, you've convinced me. We should stop providing equipment to our troops. Let's start by taking away the rifles. Good ole' hand to hand combat, just like they did in the good ole' days.
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Good old hand to hand fighting is very important. One of the tatics of the NVA was to use "hugging" and engage our troops in hand to hand combat. The reason, was so that we couldn't bring our superior firepower to bear against them without killing our own troops. So, rough training in good ole hand to hand combat is essential and should be as realistic as possible. The enemy will always find ways around our firepower and technology as the NVA did in the example I just gave. It really does ultimately does boil down to the man.

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5707 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Robots are coming regardless.

Hope we survive as a species.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Update:

I wonder how long until this robo starts showing up on battlefields, or keeping the peace at public demonstrations?

When the guy started taunting it with the hockey stick, I was all "Dude, don't mess with it"!

https://youtu.be/rVlhMGQgDkY
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4863 Posts

Profile of landmark
I'll be impressed when you tell me how much money is going towards technology to avoid going to war. Until then, it's all psychopathic.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » They've started making robots for war that look too life like... (18 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL