The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Next step (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Pixelated
View Profile
Loyal user
246 Posts

Profile of Pixelated
Ive read 13 Steps and PMM and I really like mentalism and the effects that can be produced. Iver performed a few effects to friends and family and I'm working on my delivery and persona.

the issue I have is where to turn to next, there seem to be so many established creators that I wondered if someone could recommend a direction.

Names such as Max Maven, Bob Cassidy, Richard Osterlind, Docc Hillford and Looch all seem to be prominent. Ive seen Osterlind has his 'Easy to master' series, would that be a good place to turn to next, or is it really a case of reading the effects descriptions and buyng a dvd based on that?

All help much appreciated
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Click on the 39 Steps link in my signature below. It's free to read and contains my list of the thirty nine most important texts in mentalism. Then you might want to get the book that article comes from, "Fundamentals."
Pixelated
View Profile
Loyal user
246 Posts

Profile of Pixelated
Thank you, will read that tonight.
Scott Soloff
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia, PA
960 Posts

Profile of Scott Soloff
Bob's too modest. Read his stuff. Best thinker
in mentalism today.

Best wishes,

Scott has
'Curiouser and curiouser."
Pixelated
View Profile
Loyal user
246 Posts

Profile of Pixelated
Ive just bought Fundamentals from Lybrary, so thatll keep me busy for now.
Cheers
mmiller15
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of mmiller15
Osterlind's Easy to Master series is excellent. Many of the effects contained in the collection are modernized variations of effects in both 13 Steps and PMM. I would definitely check those out. Osterlind's 13 Steps DVD collection is a great supplement to the book. Also check out Max Maven's 'Nothing.' The material is super practical! Enjoy your journey into mentalism!

-Montana
Scott Soloff
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia, PA
960 Posts

Profile of Scott Soloff
Quote:
On Jul 22, 2014, Pixelated wrote:

Names such as Max Maven, Bob Cassidy, Richard Osterlind, Docc Hillford and Looch all seem to be prominent. Ive seen Osterlind has his 'Easy to master' series, would that be a good place to turn to next, or is it really a case of reading the effects descriptions and buyng a dvd based on that?

It's easy to get caught up in buying books and DVDs and 'tricks'. You can save yourself a great deal of time and money simply by starting with the classics (as you have) and then studying Cassidy's material.

Don't get me wrong. Those other guys are great (some more than others), but my opinion is that the clearest thinker in mentalism today is Bob. All the bull is stripped away, everything is simple and straight forward and his explanations are spot on.

Case in point: Watch his Penguin live lecture. I doubt that all of his props combined cost more than 20 bucks. But, you will seldom see anyone, anywhere that can perform and entertain mentalism so well (head over to Youtube and view his videos).

Anyway, that's my point of view. Just trying to help you avoid the usual rookie mistakes.

Best wishes and good luck,

Scott
p.s. Bob, don't get a swelled head. Just calling it like I see it. Smile
'Curiouser and curiouser."
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
I didn't get a swelled head. You gave me a woody, though.Smile

Seriously, when I developed my material and act I'd never even seen a mentalism DVD. I learned it all from books. And that's what my 39 Steps really is- a look at the material I personally used to become a professional mentalist.

What I did with what I learned I later described in my own books. THEN came the DVDs. But, personally, I will always have a preference for books.
Syndrome
View Profile
Regular user
CANADIAN IMP
165 Posts

Profile of Syndrome
"The books that help you most are those which make you think the most. The hardest way of learning is that of easy reading; but a great book that comes from a great thinker is a ship of thought, deeply freighted with truth and beauty." -Pablo Neruda
Live well,
Laugh often,
Love always.

"Illusion is the first of all pleasures." -Voltaire (1694-1778)
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17612 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Once you have your show together get a current book on marketing... Smile
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Next step (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL