The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » DYE TUBE - Help in finding (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Randwill
View Profile
Inner circle
1914 Posts

Profile of Randwill
I am looking to replace a small dye tube that I have had for many years and I don't know the brand of it or where it came from. It is made of tan plastic. It is the diameter of an American penny (3/4") and it is 1 3/4" long. The top is just the opening of the tube and the bottom is rolled in slightly. There is no internal tape/ribbon. Very simple.

If you know where I can purchase another like this I would appreciate the info.
plink
View Profile
Special user
661 Posts

Profile of plink
Sounds like the gimmick I got years ago with Tenyo's Chameleon Silks.
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
Sounds like dozens I have made for myself from plastic mailing tubes (3/4 inch diameter) cut to size, and rolled in one end on a hot frying pan. Leave clear, paint with plastic paint, or wrap with flesh color bandage material. Currently I am making ribbon strap dye tubes from toothpick holders, but that's another story and will be found in my next e-Book on the Mis-Made Flag Cabby coming soon to The Wizards' Journal #27.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Metal versions have thinner walls than the plastic ones. You are describing what Harold Rice called a Simplex Dye Tube". It is still for sale by Silk King Studios (Harold's daughter Ruth runs it).

http://www.silkkingmagic.com/Rice's%20Simplex.htm

Other magic dealer's might sell a version too. As Jim points out they are not that difficult to make.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
I used to have 999 posts, now I have
1623 Posts

Profile of JNeal
It should be noted that the difference between what is being described by the OP and the Simplex dye tube is that the Simpley has a rolled , turned in edge at both ends...and the one the OP is looking for has only one end turned in...and the other end is flush cut.
visit me @ JNealShow.com
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
My bad! I stand corrected. The one I have (and I thought I had bought it directly from Harold Rice in the early 70s) is turned in at only one end. Hummmmmm...now I wonder where I got the thing!
Randwill
View Profile
Inner circle
1914 Posts

Profile of Randwill
Thanks folks. Plink nailed it. It must be a Tenyo Chameleon Silk gimmick, which means I've had it since those were first put on the market. I'm pretty sure since I found one on eBay with a clear picture. So I ordered it. It was only $6.00 with free shipping which is less than I would put into finding the right size tube and cutting and coloring it myself.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
You got a good deal for a prop you are very familure with. No hassle in making one and no learning curve to speak of.
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
The old ones seem to be made better than the newer ones.
Mister Mystery
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On Jul 26, 2014, Regan wrote:
The old ones seem to be made better than the newer ones.

That's the statement of the century, Regan! Smile
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Tenyo's Chameleon Silk:

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S14329

Doug
iugefu
View Profile
Veteran user
387 Posts

Profile of iugefu
This tube does work great-with small silks.

Now if someone knows of a slightly larger version to accommodate two 12inch silks that would be magic.
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7024 Posts

Profile of bowers
The Simplex that Harry stated above is the best one made today. And will handle 12 inch silk's fine.
Todd
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Iugefu, This is The Simplex by Rice:

http://www.silkkingmagic.com/Rice%27s%20Simplex.htm

Doug
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
The old ones were indeed superior to what I see out there now. However, magicians are certainly in a position to solve that problem.

I have found that my real favorite dye tubes were made from plastic pill bottles and cloth Band-Aids. The length and diameters are in many variations that actually FIT the loads used.

Give up being helpless and do magic!

PS --- I find that by putting a small tab on the outside, I can even hold my hands flat and dye tube side down giving a very convincing demonstration of an "EMPTY" hand.
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
StevieDee
View Profile
Regular user
Salt Lake City area
154 Posts

Profile of StevieDee
Needing a dye tube that would hold a larger silk, I went to Hobby Lobby and purchased a normal-sized papier-mâché egg (they don't seem to have them online, but you can find them in the stores). In actuality, it's a black plastic egg covered with brown kraft paper. You can use a sharp knife to cut holes in the top and bottom, or you can do what I did and sand off the ends with a circular sanding machine--works great. With the kraft paper cover, you don't even need to paint it flesh color. You can handle it just like a regular dye tube.

I also added a 1" brass book binding post (see http://brass-neutral-links.blogspot.com/) to the side of the egg. You can get them at stationery stores. This acts like a tab or stud so I can even back palm the egg, similar to the old Nikko ball (see Rice Silk Encyclopedia Vol I, pg 137 or http://www.stevensmagic.com/shop/nikko-ball-viking/), except the stud is on the side instead of at the bottom.
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7024 Posts

Profile of bowers
I made a couple of dye tube's from pvc tubing. Work's really well. And painted them flesh color.
Todd
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco & Los Angeles California
3288 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Quote:
On Aug 8, 2014, iugefu wrote:

Now if someone knows of a slightly larger version to accommodate two 12inch silks that would be magic.

Laflin's Palmo Silk Gimmick will hold two eighteen inch silks
iugefu
View Profile
Veteran user
387 Posts

Profile of iugefu
I have now found a neat solution to Billy McCombs half dyed silk routine -a great effect but I never did take a fancy to the 'switch' and use of 2 DT - I am now using a Silk King dye tube(or similar) which accommodates 12 inch silks....no 'blocker' in the tube.

I now use (prepare) two 9 inch silks in there - in my case a black silk and a black/white half dyed silk - black goes at the bottom of the dye tube,next the half dyed silk, white end first - and you are set. The white silk goes in, comes out black - black now goes in, comes out white (half dyed)- works great with no need to switch!

I can also see this working as a pseudo audience 'reveal' - change black to white- transfer dye tube 'of the finger' back into hand; Want to see how its done? you ask.. I use 2 hankies- pulling the black hanky (up) out of your hand(tube) - keep your hand up- replace the black hanky......keep it here in your hand, you say.Next the white hanky gets inserted, the black half comes out , ( and you end up with the half dyed hanky).
iugefu
View Profile
Veteran user
387 Posts

Profile of iugefu
I mention above that I use a half dyed black/white silk - not quite true, more like two halves diagonally stitched together.

I have had no real luck with the dye-

I have a question-

Anybody knows anyone who sells half dyed 9 inch silks? - or bigger that I can cut and stitch to 9 inch size -any colour'-thank you
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » DYE TUBE - Help in finding (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL