The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » DYE TUBE - Help in finding (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7024 Posts

Profile of bowers
Try Silkmagictricks.com
They did have the 15 inch version.
iugefu
View Profile
Veteran user
387 Posts

Profile of iugefu
Thank you Bowers.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I'm CURIOUS!!!

Why a NINE INCH SILK???
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
I used to have 999 posts, now I have
1623 Posts

Profile of JNeal
9" silks were sold with the Chameleon silks so that the performer could do a triple change with a gimmick not much bigger than a AA battery. But the same style gimmick (Rice's simplex or a version thereof, could and SHOULD be used with larger scarves.

A Rice Palmo will hold two 15" silks inside just fine. With a 3rd silk of the same size outside the gimmick to start the routine, it becomes very easy to do Billy McComb's version of the 1/2 dyed silk with a single gimmick. I've been doing this way for nearly 40 years! A 9" silk that changes color is a rather insignificant effect when compared to the same thing happening with a 15"
visit me @ JNealShow.com
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Basic rule of thumb is silk always looks about 1 size smaller on stage. A 15" looks like a 12. 12' looks like a 9", 9" looks like a 6" , etc.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
iugefu
View Profile
Veteran user
387 Posts

Profile of iugefu
J Neal - agreed 15 inch looks better than a 9 inch - but much prefer using the dye tube to a Palmo - must be through growing up with the little Tenyo Chameleon tube!
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Yes! J and Richard....

Charlie MARDO helped me to learn how to use a dye tube in Bob Stull's shop in San Francisco back in '47. I've always used 18" silks.

Billy and I got well acquainted at Abbott's GTG, years ago. I really liked his 1/2 dyed silk, but, at my age, I can't change! (Wish I could!)

The reason that I asked "Why a NINE incher?", was to bring up the point you mentioned, J. --"A nine inch silk that changes color is a rather insignificant effect......"

The "rule of thumb" has been a good rule for "eons'. When J. B. Bobo and I were jackpotting at the Chicago SAM convention, in '74, he showed me the, then new, Vernet TT and 12" silk production and vanish. Fran had some 4 momme silks. I took a handful on the road that fall and tried it out for a quick opener. It played very well, but as soon as the long TT was available, I upped the silk to an 18" 4 momme half silk.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
iugefu
View Profile
Veteran user
387 Posts

Profile of iugefu
The first time I saw the McComb gaff it was like, Wow! how large is that.

The pseudo 'audience reveal' as I outlined a few posts above works like a charm on those I have tried it out on.

The 'showing' of the 'second' silk throws them already (it was never there) - the half dyed outcome wacks them again.

PS Dick, Bobo is always with me-all my jackets are gaffed for Bobo's coins to pocket -I think his book mentioned it won the SAM sleight of hand competition in 1948......good enough for me.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » DYE TUBE - Help in finding (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL