The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Rogue on AMERICA'S GOT TALENT (25 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Hey- it worked for Al Koran on the Ed Sullivan Show!
mixman
View Profile
Loyal user
Northern Colorado
293 Posts

Profile of mixman
I almost lost it when he pulled out that little radio and said "Open channel D"! that is one of my favorite classic performances.
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3403 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
Quote:
On Jul 28, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:

Except The Ed Sullivan show wasn't an amateur talent competition, it was a variety show-and Koran didn't try to cram his routine into 90 seconds in the hope of getting more votes than a dancing dog!
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Again- AGT isn't an amateur talent competition either. As I've noted, a very large number of the contestants are full-time professionals. (This often isn't mentioned on the show.)

But I do see your general point insofar as general perception goes, and, to some extent, agree with it.
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3403 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
Quote:
On Jul 28, 2014, Mind Guerrilla wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 28, 2014, Martin Pulman wrote:
Every time some fame hungry wannabe tries to shoehorn a "mentalism" routine into a 90 second slot on an amateur TV talent show, a little bit of the art dies.

Exactly! Fame? Bah. No one here has any use for that, right? Smile

As Konstantin Stanislavsky so wisely said "Love the art in yourself, not yourself in the art".
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

On the other hand- the better known I got, the more work came my way.
Scott Soloff
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia, PA
960 Posts

Profile of Scott Soloff
Quote:
On Jul 29, 2014, Martin Pulman wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 28, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:

Except The Ed Sullivan show wasn't an amateur talent competition, it was a variety show-and Koran didn't try to cram his routine into 90 seconds in the hope of getting more votes than a dancing dog!

AGT is The Ed Sullivan show for the 21st century.

Yes, cramming 90 seconds of mentalism in is not pretty. But it will get you work. Depends on what your goals are... Do you want to be the best or do you want to get paid?

Best wishes,

Scott
p.s. In all seriousness, as a young man I wanted to be the best. Now my goal is to work.
'Curiouser and curiouser."
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3403 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
Quote:
On Jul 29, 2014, Scott Soloff wrote:

AGT is The Ed Sullivan show for the 21st century.

Yes, cramming 90 seconds of mentalism in is not pretty. But it will get you work. Depends on what your goals are... Do you want to be the best or do you want to get paid?

Well, there should be another consideration. Am I cheapening the art form I've chosen to express myself in. I truly believing that amateurs or fame hungry pros squeezing effects( usually store-bought) into a minute and a half in front of minor celebs and a baying crowd may help the individual performer, but it cheapens the perception of mentalism itself. It is all part of the recent trivialisation of the art.

Earlier generations of UK based mentalists: Piddingtons, Canasta, Berglas, Brown etc maintained the image of mentalism as an entertaining but sophisticated art. A deeper and more profound experience than mere "magic". It is a perception worth fighting to preserve. It is impossible to imagine the Piddingtons, Canasta etc choosing to perform an act in which their an*s would have to be pixilated during the reveal. BGT may have been many young viewers first exposure to mentalism. If they follow Colin's example on that show, god help us all.
Scott Soloff
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia, PA
960 Posts

Profile of Scott Soloff
Quote:

Well, there should be another consideration. Am I cheapening the art form I've chosen to express myself in. I truly believing that amateurs or fame hungry pros squeezing effects( usually store-bought) into a minute and a half in front of minor celebs and a baying crowd may help the individual performer, but it cheapens the perception of mentalism itself. It is all part of the recent trivialisation of the art.

Earlier generations of UK based mentalists: Piddingtons, Canasta, Berglas, Brown etc maintained the image of mentalism as an entertaining but sophisticated art. A deeper and more profound experience than mere "magic". It is a perception worth fighting to preserve. It is impossible to imagine the Piddingtons, Canasta etc choosing to perform an act in which their an*s would have to be pixilated during the reveal. BGT may have been many young viewers first exposure to mentalism. If they follow Colin's example on that show, god help us all.

Martin,

I have no cohesive argument against that. Mentalism should be a class act, no question. Two conflicting things can occur simultaneously: The world will continue to change around us and we can still run our own race!

Best wishes,

Scott
'Curiouser and curiouser."
sandsjr
View Profile
Special user
840 Posts

Profile of sandsjr
Martin. You're walking against the tide man. Get in line early when the next got talent show comes to town and show em how it's done. Hypmotize 'em. Tell them they will soon see visions of dancing dogs.

In all seriousness. It is what it is. Why worry? Get out and perform. Do your thing. If you were doing 3 shows 6 nights a week you wouldn't have time to worry about who's doing what where.

check out the number of hits on this...
http://youtu.be/kdemFfbS5H0

compared to this... (jump up to around 3:45 in the video if you're interested)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9_WujkbQ3M

I don't think the guys in the second video really care about what the guys in the first video are doing.

EDIT: Scott was posting simultaneously... he got it right... run your own race man.

Peace. Keep on lovin the art.
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3403 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
Quote:
On Jul 29, 2014, sandsjr wrote:
Martin. You're walking against the tide man. Get in line early when the next got talent show comes to town and show em how it's done..

"Swim against the tide. It's good for the heart." ~ Pope Francis.
sandsjr
View Profile
Special user
840 Posts

Profile of sandsjr
Quote:
Quote:
Martin. You're walking against the tide man. Get in line early when the next got talent show comes to town and show em how it's done..

"Swim against the tide. It's good for the heart." ~ Pope Francis.

Yeah, but don't have a heart-attack while you're doing it.

You know I was being facetious in that quote. (I was saying the same thing as the Pope in fact)

Check out those videos for some inspiration.
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3403 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
I know you were sandsjr,

Enjoyed your links. Well, enjoyed maybe not the appropriate term! Music was my first love( I feel a terrible song coming on!) but any musician who cared about their credibility wouldn't be caught dead anywhere near those talent shows.

And I don't think you can really compare music to mentalism. Mentalism is on TV so infrequently that it behoves performers not to cheapen its image when they get a chance to perform it for that wider audience. Just my opinion. You may say I'm a dreamer. But I'm not the only one.
sandsjr
View Profile
Special user
840 Posts

Profile of sandsjr
AGT might respond... I hope someday you'll join us and the world will live as one.

Martin, beyond the fact they are playing music in the Chic Corea video, they are in a space of oneness, joy, presence... whatever you want to call it. That is what Stanislavsky was saying about loving the art within yourself. You don't see jazz on TV too much either. What ever anyone else is doing to butcher music is of no consequence to the guys in video #2. They are masters of what they do and people recognize that.
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3403 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
Quote:
AGT might respond... I hope someday you'll join us and the world will live as one.

Martin, beyond the fact they are playing music in the Chic Corea video, they are in a space of oneness, joy, presence... whatever you want to call it. That is what Stanislavsky was saying about loving the art within yourself. You don't see jazz on TV too much either. What ever anyone else is doing to butcher music is of no consequence to the guys in video #2. They are masters of what they do and people recognize that.

Yes, but do you think the general public's perception of jazz fusion would have been enhanced if Chick Corea performed a 90 second solo, on a TV talent show in front of a panel of D list celebs, and on the final note, threw away his portable synth and flashed his j*nk?.
sandsjr
View Profile
Special user
840 Posts

Profile of sandsjr
Mozart may have done that. Maybe?

I feel where you're coming from, believe me! I don't watch TV at all really but have seen a few episodes of those shows. I got a kick out of watching the "celeb" judging someone who runs circles around him talent wise. I remember that happening to Enrique Eglaisis (spelling ?) you could see how he wanted to crawl under a rock he was so embarrassed.

It's the culture today. It's freakshowish. What makes that "selfie" video get almost a fifth of a BILLION hits? Why do people give a *&@# about Kardashian? It's like the lady at the carnival with the club foot. Only the carnival is mainstream now. People are famous just because they have something you don't have and it's not necessarily ability or talent.

It's futile to worry about the public's perception. You have almost zero control over that. The only thing you can do is show them something else.
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8695 Posts

Profile of harris
My bluesy, gospell or classical harmonica along with magic via
S. O. H. didn't make it onto TV.

The Ellen a Show staff decide to put on the YouTube video
If me playing my harmonica with my nose.

The video was clipped and included some snazzy jazzy blues.
She kept the corny parts and deleted the real music potion of the
Tape.

Harris
Still too old to know it all
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Joe Atmore
View Profile
Elite user
Joe Atmore
422 Posts

Profile of Joe Atmore
"It's futile to worry about the public's perception. You have almost zero control over that."

Ah, but you do. It may not be easy, but that is what Marketing is all about and its use of its tools and concepts like re-branding, crisis management, etc.
Best Thoughts,

Joe Atmore
International Artists Consultant Uri Geller's Phenomenon TV Series;
PEA Bob Haines Memorial Award;
Dunninger Show Recreation;
Author of Dunninger Knows and Dunninger's Brain Busters

JosephAtmore.com
sandsjr
View Profile
Special user
840 Posts

Profile of sandsjr
Quote:
On Jul 30, 2014, Joe Atmore wrote:
"It's futile to worry about the public's perception. You have almost zero control over that."

Ah, but you do. It may not be easy, but that is what Marketing is all about and its use of its tools and concepts like re-branding, crisis management, etc.

That's why I wrote "almost" zero. Smile

I believe anything is possible!
pourang65
View Profile
Regular user
Paris, France
191 Posts

Profile of pourang65
Quote:
Quote:
On Jul 28, 2014, Mind Guerrilla wrote:
Quote:
Every time some fame hungry wannabe tries to shoehorn a "mentalism" routine into a 90 second slot on an amateur TV talent show, a little bit of the art dies.

Exactly! Fame? Bah. No one here has any use for that, right? Smile]

I don't consider the desire to be famous to be admirable in the slightest. On the contrary, I think it is the curse of our age.

Mentalism should not be crammed into a 90 second slot in between dancing dogs and amateur singers. I cannot believe anyone who truly loves the art form for itself, rather than for what it can gain them, could believe otherwise.

Mentalism is not more valuable or better than any other form of art, singer, dancer etc. Our art is for entertainment and I agree with Bob, we may not like what the artists do but AGT is essentially pro as it is in France.
Cheers
Pourang
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Rogue on AMERICA'S GOT TALENT (25 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL