The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Rogue on AMERICA'S GOT TALENT (25 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Eddie Fields wouldn't have appreciated that. (But there was a bit of a tribute to him in the title.)

But I did have Dicken's "artful dodger, in mind.
The Hermit
View Profile
Loyal user
300 Posts

Profile of The Hermit
When I said artful, I wasn't even thinking of your books Although I do have them. I was using it as art vs entertainment. I also have to admit I didn't really understand the irony in the titles either. Now that I know the real meaning of the word, I would agree all mentalism is artful. I would agree the second meaning holds true for the books as well.

showing creative skill or taste.
"an artful photograph of a striking woman"
synonyms: skillful, clever, adept, adroit, skilled, expert More

Hermit
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
That's very kind of you, Hermit.

Thanks-

Bob
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3403 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
I personally don't think it is particularly difficult for half-way confident performers to put together a 90 second mentalism slot for a Simon Cowell Talent Show. Buy a brilliantly designed and routined effect from a store, present it competently and you'll get a reaction from an audience and panel who haven't seen it before. In 90 seconds there is barely time for any presentation whatsoever. Unlike singers who invariably sing songs the panel know, so are judged solely on their voices, mentalists have the advantage of presenting others material to an audience unaware of the effect's origin and true creators. It is the talent of the creators that is being voted on by the panel, on the whole. It is "the song" not "the singer" so to speak. It's just a shame to see so many brilliant effects being rushed through and then -because they have so clearly appeared to be "tricks"-, being subsequently exposed on public chat rooms.
sandsjr
View Profile
Special user
840 Posts

Profile of sandsjr
Well put Martin. I think this articulates what you were initially trying to say. I still believe a creative and talented person could take that 90 seconds and surprise us all. But again your points are valid and watching this happen doesn't not suck.
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8695 Posts

Profile of harris
Mr. Fields small book is filled with great ideas.

Somehow I ended up with 2 copies.
Must have thought I lost the first one a while back.

Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Withnail
View Profile
Special user
974 Posts

Profile of Withnail
I can't remember where I read this but someone greater than I said you need to consider the difference between an artist and a craftsman... The artist creates one off masterpieces for the individual while the craftsman reduplicates ( high) quality over and over to pay the bills...

No offence meant to anyone here just an interesting discussion point!
Yet again that oaf has destroyed my day
SIX
View Profile
Inner circle
New York City
1773 Posts

Profile of SIX
Not all contestants who "make it" actually make it..Rogue did have to do a video submission after this performance for the second round, but he is unsure if this was actually used in some sort of producer judgement.

I think the video, plus social media response would be the producers interest in who actually airs the second time around.

Thankfully David and Leeman made it through, aside from being friends they have some awesome people behind them such as Jon Armstrong..the combination can only lead to a great show..which theirs is if you havent seen them live..they have been poping up at conventions so I am sure you will see plenty more of them after AGT.

Best,

Six.

P.S. Maybe Rogue's video was posted here because this effect and his Haunted Doll DVD are very mental like..but, he also does do magic effects. Smile
Galileo
View Profile
Elite user
Somerville MA
431 Posts

Profile of Galileo
I was slightly disappointed to see David and Leeman perform practically the exact same routine for the 2nd round as Colin McLeod did in 2012 for his audition nothing against them personally I quite enjoy them as an act and liked there presentation of the 100th monkey with Howie was just slightly bummed when I saw them perform a similar booktest as Colin McLeod
SIX
View Profile
Inner circle
New York City
1773 Posts

Profile of SIX
Quote:
On Aug 17, 2014, Galileo wrote:
I was slightly disappointed to see David and Leeman perform practically the exact same routine for the 2nd round as Colin McLeod did in 2012 for his audition nothing against them personally I quite enjoy them as an act and liked there presentation of the 100th monkey with Howie was just slightly bummed when I saw them perform a similar booktest as Colin McLeod

Colin was on the U.K version right? Its hard to tell with these things, I try to keep up but there are so many acts now, and in so many countries lol

I personally would love to help set up a list of whats been done to avoid repetition, anyone up for the challenge?
Galileo
View Profile
Elite user
Somerville MA
431 Posts

Profile of Galileo
Quote:
On Aug 18, 2014, SIX wrote:
Quote:
On Aug 17, 2014, Galileo wrote:

Colin was on the U.K version right? Its hard to tell with these things, I try to keep up but there are so many acts now, and in so many countries lol

I personally would love to help set up a list of whats been done to avoid repetition, anyone up for the challenge?

I love you I'm so down.
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3403 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
Why does it matter if there is repetition? It should be the "talent" of the performers that is being judged, not the talent of the creators, no?
Galileo
View Profile
Elite user
Somerville MA
431 Posts

Profile of Galileo
Http://agt.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Magicians sort of did half the work by compiling a list of EVERY magician that was considered to make it past the first round of auditions.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Rogue on AMERICA'S GOT TALENT (25 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL