The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Luke Jermay (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

danbastianelli
View Profile
New user
75 Posts

Profile of danbastianelli
I am FULLY aware that in the past Luke Jermay has provided poor customer service and even in a sense, stolen money from a few individuals. This is terrible and I cannot and will not defend these acts in any way.

I have met Luke and I regularly message him on Twitter. He seems to me like a nice guy who has no problem interacting with people. I do not know if these scams are still happening or of it is old news. I have a few of Jermays products and I love his work.

I want to know what people think of his 49 seconds effect and what it actually looks like because every previous thread on this leads to a rant about his business ethics (or lack of)

Please can we keep this thread about the 49 seconds routine
Thanks
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
11512 Posts

Profile of John C
Doesn't penguin sell it. I purchased quite a few Jermay things. Never had a problem. Love the guy.
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
AH
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of AH
49 seconds is a worthwhile routine to look at. Also check out his card memory lecture by international magic. Don't where you can get it though but I'm sure it's still available somewhere. If your looking for a fantastic card memory routine, check out Bob Cassidys work. You can't go wrong with this.

Regards

AH
C.J.
View Profile
Inner circle
There's a lotta rambling in my
2367 Posts

Profile of C.J.
I noticed this in one of my boxes just last night, actually. It's been about 4 years since I last read it, so I'll have another look today. If I remember correctly, it builds one part of the routine on a card sleight that is described so poorly that I couldn't actually work out what I was supposed to be doing, let alone how to actually do it. But as I say, I'll take another look this weekend.
Connor Jacobs - The Thought Sculptor
Mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
Be fondly remembered.
Axel
View Profile
Elite user
Berlin
409 Posts

Profile of Axel
I have a set of lecture notes from Luke's lecture last year (or this year?) in Berlin.
In it there is his "49 Second Memory"-Routine. I don't perform it, because it requires a card-sleight that I am not capable of
at this time.

The effect however is this:
Spectator shuffles the (borrowed) deck.
Performer then deals cards down on the table. Turning them face-up in the process.
During this the spectator calls out stop three times.
Every time he does the performer places the card he is holding at that moment face down on the table.
At the end all cards are face-up in a pile on the table except three cards that the spectator freely chose.
The performer then is able to name the three face-down cards.
The apparent method being that he remembered which three cards didn't show up while he dealt through the deck.
As I said I don't perform this effect, but I think the effect is workable and easy to understand.

There is however a longer three-phase-routine in the notes that I believe is from 49 seconds as well.
This one is much stronger in my opinion and I do perform it.

It is called "The Memory Routine".
The effect is easy to understand, the handling is quite clean, it is very well structured and it is totally impromptu.

Here is the routine:

1st phase:
The Spectator shuffles the borrowed deck.
He then chooses one card from the deck which is put aside unseen.
The performer then announces that he is going to look through the remaining deck once as quick as possible to determine which card is missing.
After he did that (in about 20 seconds) he states that he actually did not see TWO cards. So he is not sure which is the one the spectator put aside earlier.
He then names both cards he wasn't able to see and the spectator's card is found to be one of them.
The second card is found laying on the floor where it was dropped by accident. So the performer successfully determined which two
cards where missing from the deck.

2nd phase:
The performer states that while looking for the missing card(s) he actually memorized the order of the whole deck.
To proof his point the spectator is asked to take one card from anywhere in the deck (while the performer's back is turned) and to replace it
in a different part of the deck.
The performer then is able to tell which card's position has been changed. He actually tells the spectator where it came from and where it went.

3rd phase:
The spectator is asked to name any number between 1 and 52.
The performer is able to name the card at that position. Proofing that he indeed knows the position of every card in the deck.
In this third phase Luke uses a very clever subtlety to throw of any spectator who might think that the cards are m*****.
Which they actually don't need to be for this.

I am sorry if my description of the effect does not sound very clear. I just realized how hard it is for me to sum
up a routine like this in english.

But believe me:
The routine is actually very easy to understand for the spectator.
Every phase builds on the previous one.
You need a table for it, so it's not suited for stage except if you're using a camera-projection.
It requires some sleights that, I would say, are of mediumto advanced skill-level.

But it is one of the few routines that for me work in a mentalism-close-up-setting and which don't have a card-trick-vibe to it.
The other ones are one from Hector Chadwick's book and some routine by Paul Curry of which I can't remember the name Smile

Hope this helps. Sorry for my english.

Now I have to go and perform some sponge ball magic at my son's elementary school.
The true mentalist's destiny!
;)

All the best,

Axel
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5002 Posts

Profile of Magical Dimensions
I use to be a very very good card man and like to know the name of the card sleight. Either here on in a PM.

Thanks
Ray
doriancaudal
View Profile
Inner circle
1521 Posts

Profile of doriancaudal
I would also be interested to now which sleights you have to use for this routine.
Hands-off ACAAN - freely chosen card and number : http://doriancaudal.wix.com/miracaan
C.J.
View Profile
Inner circle
2367 Posts

Profile of C.J.
Quote:
On Jul 25, 2014, Magical Dimensions wrote:
I use to be a very very good card man and like to know the name of the card sleight. Either here on in a PM.

Thanks
Ray

There are a couple. I'll PM the names to you.
Be fondly remembered.
backinblack
View Profile
Special user
866 Posts

Profile of backinblack
Quote:
On Jul 25, 2014, C.J. wrote:
Quote:

Thanks
Ray

exposure?
Investigative Mentalist
View Profile
Elite user
Seattle, WA
491 Posts

Profile of Investigative Mentalist
Anybody buy Luke's latest Ementalism release?

http://www.ementalism.com/collections/ne......f-wisdom

It's only $12, but I have bought too much stuff just because it was "cheap" so I'm holding off until I read reviews these days.

It sounds good because I've been working on Bob Cassidy's excellet Q&A teleseminar series and this is apparently Luke's take on Dynamite Mentalism.
ajb6864
View Profile
Special user
Corfu, Greece
576 Posts

Profile of ajb6864
Quote:
On Jul 25, 2014, backinblack wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks
Ray

exposure?

Not sure about exposure, but I would questions their ethics.
C.J.
View Profile
Inner circle
2367 Posts

Profile of C.J.
Quote:
On Jul 25, 2014, ajb6864 wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks
Ray

exposure?

Not sure about exposure, but I would questions their ethics.

I appreciate that it is questions rather than accusations (I am being serious, not sarcastic). In this case, I don't think I have acted unethically, since the sleights in this routine do not in themselves constitute the method. Particularly in this routine, it is very hard to see how the two sleights that I named would lend themselves to a memorised deck routine. In fact, that is the reason this manuscript has been at the bottom of a folder on my shelf, unlooked at for over 4 years...
Be fondly remembered.
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5002 Posts

Profile of Magical Dimensions
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks
Ray

exposure?

Exposure… What on earth are you talking about? I was interested in the card sleight because he stated that he couldn’t do it. I use to be a finger flicker and can still do more with a pack of cards than most guys.

I am not interested in this routine. The few card routines that I still practice are ones that I have been doing for over 20 years. They are very magical looking and require card sleights.

I was thinking that it might have been a C^*$Y TU)*O@#R,(hope that I didn’t exposed any routines). Because I have asked for the name of the sleight don’t mean that I want to do this routine. It really don’t appeal to me other than for knowing what card sleight others may have found hard to do. Simple as that.

R
dylan magic
View Profile
Elite user
424 Posts

Profile of dylan magic
I'd recommend the international magic DVD he did, it's better than the book, I have both.
He goes into more detail in the DVD, plus some bonus ideas and handlings.
On a side note, I've always found luke to be a great guy, not to mention an incredible Mentalist.
backinblack
View Profile
Special user
866 Posts

Profile of backinblack
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks
Ray

exposure?

Exposure… What on earth are you talking about? I was interested in the card sleight because he stated that he couldn’t do it. I use to be a finger flicker and can still do more with a pack of cards than most guys.

I am not interested in this routine. The few card routines that I still practice are ones that I have been doing for over 20 years. They are very magical looking and require card sleights.

I was thinking that it might have been a C^*$Y TU)*O@#R,(hope that I didn’t exposed any routines). Because I have asked for the name of the sleight don’t mean that I want to do this routine. It really don’t appeal to me other than for knowing what card sleight others may have found hard to do. Simple as that.

R

it is about a sleight in a routine.. know the sleight - know part of the routine.. anyhow: I do not care.. it was more an academical question from me focusing on the issue of exposure itself - not really interested in your actual acting..
mikelsc
View Profile
Regular user
139 Posts

Profile of mikelsc
I absolutely love Luke's new DVD with penguin "Making Mind Reading Look Real". I think there's a lot going on in the DVD, whether the concepts are old or new, they're great.

Cheers,
M
Gerry Hennessey
View Profile
Special user
856 Posts

Profile of Gerry Hennessey
Quote:
On Jul 28, 2014, mikelsc wrote:
I absolutely love Luke's new DVD with penguin "Making Mind Reading Look Real". I think there's a lot going on in the DVD, whether the concepts are old or new, they're great.

Cheers,
M

This is indeed an excellent and seemingly often overlooked DVD.
"Every discipline effects every other discipline. You can't straighten out the corporation if your closet is a mess" Jim Rohn

GerryHennessey.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Luke Jermay (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL