We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Practising moves (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Sackninja
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of Sackninja
So, I am practising the erdananse change, a move I should have learned a while ago, but only got to it now inspired by a trick I want to do by Jay Sankey. Now the problem I have, is I'm struggling to stay concentrated while practising a move. Usually when I have a move I need to learn, I practise the whole trick at once and this helps me stay going.

The problem is, in this case, the whole trick is just one move. A move I don't know yet. So I'm struglling to concentrate. What tips do you have on staying concentrated when practising like this. Smile Thanks in advance for any tips. I know there isn't a real answer other then just keep going but I'm kinda hoping for a tip or two.
Kbuck54
View Profile
Veteran user
344 Posts

Profile of Kbuck54
Hi,
One thing that I do is always have a deck with me and when ever I get a chance, I will pull the cards out and work on a move or two. I do this while watching a movie or whatever. Do this until the move is second nature. It will happen, just be diligent.
Keith Shazam
SHAZAM!
Andy Young
View Profile
Special user
Jersey Shore, PA
726 Posts

Profile of Andy Young
I will stress the importance of a break. That is taking time away from it to let your mind think about the process. Visualization also helps a lot. It worked wonders for wrestling and there is less at stake with magic. Think about doing it and you will find that your real moves work much better. I do this a lot with my act. I mimic moves and just go over them in my head.
magic_man_jim
View Profile
Regular user
119 Posts

Profile of magic_man_jim
It's all about your hands and fingers to get used to the move. I would suggest you keep practicing but throw in other moves or effects with it.don't just do one move or trick. You want to give yourself a rest so to speak.

There have been plenty of times I was working on a move and just couldn't get it exactly right...so I would work on another slight or effect and come back to it. More often than not when coming back to it it would flow better and I could see something I was doing wrong.

So I am not saying don't practice. You need to practice and you need to practice your slights outside of a complete effect over and over. But my tip is to rotate different moves around when you do practice to give your hands a break and your concentration leve a rest, doing different moves aids in this so you don't get stuck frustrated and losing your concentration by doing one relentlessly
Magic is not to fool...but allows you to believe!

Jim Boothe
www.jimboothemagic.com
jim@jimboothemagic.com
Ben Seatreader
View Profile
Regular user
The College of Winterhold
103 Posts

Profile of Ben Seatreader
+1 for practising whenever you have a spare minute.
+1 for not getting bogged down by constantly doing one move.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Practising moves (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL