We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Finding Subjects (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20337 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
In the hands of a novice novice no.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
cynicalcritic
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Profile of cynicalcritic
I am afraid Danny has an aversion to hypnosis as a therapy for any kind of health condition. I have seen him with my own eyes spending half an hour talking people OUT of purchasing his back of the room tapes, videos and CDs relating to hypnosis stopping smoking, losing weight etc;.

If someone actually insists on buying it you should see the pain in his eyes as he reluctantly takes the money. It is one of the most amusing things I have ever seen.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20337 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
It is "the show after the show".
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
D.J. Ayur
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of D.J. Ayur
MrRyanD

Do you plan on perfoming stage hypnosis?

Or are you focusing on clinical studies?
cynicalcritic
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Profile of cynicalcritic
I had the same problem as our original poster at the beginning. I couldn't find anyone to practice it on and on the few occasions I tried it, it didn't work anyway. Oddly enough the best way is to go out and do it on stage. You will actually get better results in a group situation than you will in a one to one situation. Of course this is easier said than done and takes a lot of nerve. The secret is not to "try" and hypnotise them and just assume for the purposes of doing it for the first time that hypnosis doesn't exist anyway. Just say the words in the proper order and hope for the best. On second thoughts this will probably end in disaster so perhaps you had better ignore me. All I can tell you is that this is exactly what I did. I had an opportunity to go on stage once and I thought "the hell with it. Let's just try it" It worked!

I realise the above advice is awful but all I can tell you is that it worked for me. Mind you, I started my hypnosis well before I went on stage by doing past life regressions with individual clients as part of my psychic business. I would hypnotise people and take them back to a previous life. Half the time that didn't work either but naturally I still took the money. It did give me experience in hypnosis though.

I do realise before Danny Doyle chimes in that my advice is getting worse and worse as this post progresses. I shall therefore try and be more help in the future. And yes. It would indeed be helpful to know if you want to do stage hypnosis, street hypnosis (whatever on earth that is) or stage hypnosis. Once I know that I can give you more specific bad advice to help you on your way.
cynicalcritic
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Profile of cynicalcritic
I have taken a deep breath and have tried to figure out the best way of explaining my philosophy on this. But what I say has to do with stage hypnosis only. Quite frankly I am not interested in therapy or street hypnosis and I suspect the magic Café would be better off having different sections for this.

Perhaps the best way is to include a little extract from a book I wrote on the subject. It will explain the previous post a little better.

...........................................................................................................................

Rehearsing a hypnotism show is a tricky prospect. Unlike an actor rehearsing his lines for a play or a public speaker learning his script the operation of a hypnosis show is not entirely under the operator’s control. You have the volunteer subjects to worry about. Some of them will react well; some may not react at all. This is why every hypnosis show is different. Even though the same programme and routines are presented on separate occasions the show itself becomes entirely different because of the unpredictability of the volunteers. At one show a routine may get a mild reaction, at another the same routine may bring the house down simply because you have a different subject taking part.

So, how can you rehearse and practice a thing like this? And where do you get the experience in trance induction if you have never hypnotised anyone in your life?

To answer both questions I’m going to backtrack a little and tell you that the standard wisdom for stage hypnotism neophytes is that they should have had lots of prior experience hypnotising people in a one to one situation before setting foot on a public stage. This is ideal if you happen to be a hypnotherapist wishing to perform in public. Unfortunately, if you do not happen to be a hypnotherapist this advice, in my opinion, could actually slow your progress.

When I first started, I tried to follow this wisdom but I found it hard to secure eager guinea pigs to experiment with. And when I did find someone brave enough to help me I did not find they would go under hypnosis anyway. By the way, it is much easier to hypnotise strangers than it is to induce a trance (a hypnotic one, anyway) among your friends and relatives. This is because people who know you well will not have the confidence in your ability that is so important in the operator-subject relationship.

The other standard wisdom for budding performers is that they should study as much about hypnosis as possible before starting. Apparently you should absorb and learn as much as you can about trance induction, dissociation, trance logic and confabulation etc;

Quite frankly, and with all due deference to the authorities who give the above instruction, you don’t have the time. You are going to have enough trouble learning how to put on an entertaining show without the added strain of absorbing lots of impractical material.

My advice, therefore, is to forget all the theory and get straight to the meat of the thing. Ignore the fluff, get up on that stage and entertain people. I am not saying disregard hypnotic theory entirely. In fact, the more the merrier. But not at the expense of learning how to be a showman on stage. Study the stuff, certainly; but it should be an ongoing study rather than a preliminary requirement
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20337 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Watch this cynical one.

Lets put aside if hypnosis exists or not. For purposes of a stage show, and therapy for that matter it does not matter. As he suggests pretend it does not. What are you left with? Having to accomplish the show. Focus on the show, not the process. The process is not that entertaining in the first place!

Now focusing on the show and your endgame eventually the rest works itself out. He makes a great point. It is about the show and being entertaining.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9975 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Truth be told the reason why so many aspiring stage hypnotists fail has little or nothing to do with hypnosis but specifically due to the fact that they are terrible entertainers. I believe one should be an entertainer first, then utilize hypnosis as the tool for executing or performance.

So many wannabe hypnotists are under the huge misbelief that "if I can only get the hypnosis down, I will have a great show." This couldn't be farther form the truth. It's the entertainer that makes the show entertaining. That should be the first priority.

This is the thing so many books and DVDs seem to overlook. It's about entertainment, the performance execution. Most, even if the hypnosis is executed properly still will fail to generate the desired results because they are lousy entertainers. Combine that with being lousy and inexperienced in hypnosis and you have the recipe for sure failure.
cynicalcritic
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Profile of cynicalcritic
Oh, I didn't overlook it in MY book! Here is another short extract:

"A word of warning; I would suggest you have experience of speaking in public before attempting this type of work. If you are an experienced performer, teacher or lecturer you are in with a chance. If you are the sort of person who gets nervous in front of a crowd this book is probably not for you. If you are a hypnotherapist wishing to use your skills in a public setting but you have never appeared before an audience you should perhaps postpone your study of this work until this situation is remedied."

Posted: Oct 14, 2014 12:19 pm And here is one more example of what Mindpro, Danny and I are talking about. It is a prime example of how an experienced entertainer can put on a show without knowing that much about hypnosis. Another extract from my most wondrous book on hypnosis:
...........................................................................................................................
Before I leave the subject I will tell you another story to illustrate my possibly controversial theory that you don’t have to know that much about hypnotism before performing on stage. I read this years ago and it amused and educated me at the time.

Once upon a time, a cowboy singer and a stage hypnotist were touring across America. The cowboy would open the show by doing his rope spinning and western songs after which the mesmerist would perform his spellbinding show. There was a certain amount of friction between the two entertainers mainly on account of the cowboy’s drinking habits. He would often perform in a state of intoxication that offended the hypnotist’s sense of professionalism. One night, matters came to a head when the cowboy showed up for the performance even more inebriated than usual. The hypnotist was furious and refused to perform on the same stage as our alcoholic friend, whereupon the cowboy slurred, “Who cares if you don’t go on; I can do your act just as well as my own!” So saying, he staggered out on stage and recited the hypnotist’s patter word for word just as he had heard it every night for the preceding three months. He performed the hypnotist’s exact act and created a sensation. All the subjects went into trance and performed in the usual way despite the cowboy’s intoxication and lack of experience. After this incident, the cowboy and the hypnotist, not surprisingly, parted company. The sequel to the tale is that the cowboy turned hypnotist subsequently went on to become one of the most famous stage hypnotists of his generation.
Incidentally the cowboy hypnotist in the above story was legendary hypnotist Tex Morton.
insight
View Profile
Inner circle
3095 Posts

Profile of insight
Why would Danny have an aversion to hypnosis as a therapy? I believe he knows that it is real and not some kind of magic trick.

Regards,
Mike

Quote:
On Oct 13, 2014, cynicalcritic wrote:
I am afraid Danny has an aversion to hypnosis as a therapy for any kind of health condition. I have seen him with my own eyes spending half an hour talking people OUT of purchasing his back of the room tapes, videos and CDs relating to hypnosis stopping smoking, losing weight etc;.

If someone actually insists on buying it you should see the pain in his eyes as he reluctantly takes the money. It is one of the most amusing things I have ever seen.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20337 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
My aversion better put is hypnosis as a "cure all" or a magic bullet.

I know exactly what can and can not be accomplished and I have an aversion to those lines being blurred.

I have an aversion to those who sell hope in the form of bogus cures and sell it as an easy way.

It is not therapy I have the aversion to or hypnisis in therapy. It is fake cures. That is my aversion and I believe it is reasonable.

Incidently I do not sell any of that.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
insight
View Profile
Inner circle
3095 Posts

Profile of insight
With all due respect, Danny, I think you are a bit misinformed on the topic. Hypnosis can be used for therapy. Clinical trials involving hypnosis are not uncommon, and many have yielded statistically significant results. Here is one:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18569754

Regards,
Mike

Quote:
On Oct 14, 2014, Dannydoyle wrote:
My aversion better put is hypnosis as a "cure all" or a magic bullet.

I know exactly what can and can not be accomplished and I have an aversion to those lines being blurred.

I have an aversion to those who sell hope in the form of bogus cures and sell it as an easy way.

It is not therapy I have the aversion to or hypnisis in therapy. It is fake cures. That is my aversion and I believe it is reasonable.

Incidently I do not sell any of that.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20337 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
With due respect I said my problem is not with hypnosis as therapy. I am not misinformed about anything. I do not have problems with legitimate therapy and hypnosis being used as a therapeutic tool.

What exactly do you believe.I am misinformed about?

The group you are citing combined the use of hypnosis with a patch. Apples and oranges.

Also you should note my problem is with the way it is sold as a cure all. Do they sell it as about 20% may actually not smoke after a year?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
insight
View Profile
Inner circle
3095 Posts

Profile of insight
You are right, Danny. Sorry, I misinterpreted your post. It all makes sense now.

Again, my apologies for not reading your post more carefully.

Regards,
Mike

Quote:
On Oct 14, 2014, Dannydoyle wrote:
With due respect I said my problem is not with hypnosis as therapy. I am not misinformed about anything. I do not have problems with legitimate therapy and hypnosis being used as a therapeutic tool.

What exactly do you believe.I am misinformed about?

The group you are citing combined the use of hypnosis with a patch. Apples and oranges.

Also you should note my problem is with the way it is sold as a cure all. Do they sell it as about 20% may actually not smoke after a year?
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Here is the real thing Hypnosis is just a tool its "Therapists" that get results not the tool. Its how they use it that counts and in combination with other forms of therapy and other skills. And the individual therapist's skill set, knowledge, experience and talent and their own self belief that can be subtle but make a huge difference in the outcome.

Hypnosis and related therapies work best for emotional problems anxiety fears depression etc. Smoking is the worst problem to work with the majority go back to smoking at some point many after the session! The reason being is that you can't stop anyone who isn't ready to stop and the truth is they stop themselves the hypnosis is just an aid.

Emotional problems on the other hand can really transform someones life
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Finding Subjects (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL