The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Ready to perform (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MrRyanD
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of MrRyanD
Hi,

I always like to be ready to impress friends and friends-to-be with a little and quick mentalism routine. I normally do a few billet readings, mind reading effects and some mild coin magic. What do you guys use to grab the attention of people. Favourite tricks that you can carry about and do at any time?

MrRyanD
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9328 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
I've seen you post both here and in the Hypnosis forum - welcome. While I applaud your effort, friends and family can be among the worst people to "practice on" or perform for - especially in hypnosis, and in mentalism as well, especially depending on the type of mentalism you are attempting to perform.

I only mention this as the point you are at is very important time in creating your foundation and attempting t perform for situations and audiences that are stacked against you can be very difficult and not a true read of your abilities and performance. Since you mentioned tricks, coin magic and a"quick mentalism routine", it sounds like you are attempting to do more mental magic (without much understanding of mentalism)...and hypnosis? That's biting off quite a bit from the beginning.

Best of luck to you.
Amirá
View Profile
Inner circle
MentalismCenter.com
5096 Posts

Profile of Amirá
Being ready to perform doesn't means that you must perform anywhere, anytime.

I understand your view, and my advice is to keep your casual demonstrations short, simple and use borrowed objects. I have my own pieces to do that (published and unpublished ones) but I don't perform them most of the time, I prefer to have a conversation. My favorite Mental routine to do now is "Equivondulum" from my pendulum book.

Best
Pablo
Performer and Author

Mentalism Center: The best online space to get quality Mentalism
www.mentalismcenter.com

Arkanosophy: The Boutique for Mystery Performers
www.arkanosophy.com
Gordon the discombobulator
View Profile
Loyal user
221 Posts

Profile of Gordon the discombobulator
.... especially wives. they can instinctively tell when their husband is disguising the truth.
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9328 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
I like that..."disguising the truth"
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12590 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
If you're just looking to amuse your family and friends, I highly recommend the Magic Ding Dong and the Pea Can.
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1717 Posts

Profile of jakeg
Quote:
On Jul 27, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
If you're just looking to amuse your family and friends, I highly recommend the Magic Ding Dong and the Pea Can.

Thank you. I just had my laugh for evening.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12590 Posts

I was half serious. It's hard to amuse friends and family with mentalism, especially when you are identified as a magician. (And if they don't know you as a magician already, the coin tricks will give them a clue.) They'll just see it as another puzzle to figure out. At least the Pea Can and the Ding Dong will have them laughing their butts off.
MrRyanD
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of MrRyanD
It is usually when meeting new people that I need to perform as many people have never met a mentalist before and the line that always crops up is "Oo, show me something! Read my mind!" so I like to have a little routine to show them. I also do use hypnosis at times as I find I can use that anywhere to get a wow out of people but would prefer to use mentalism.
Also I've been doing magic since I was little and then recently (last 2-3years) have picked mentalism up so understand the ideas behind and pick the tricks up quickly.
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5945 Posts

Profile of george1953
Hypnosis and mentalism are probably the worst thing you can do for fami!ly and friends, they know you too well, you are never a prophet in your own town so to speak.
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12590 Posts

I think the OP is missing the point that the actual mentalists here are trying to make.
innercirclewannabe
View Profile
Inner circle
Ireland
1562 Posts

Profile of innercirclewannabe
"Also I've been doing magic since I was little and then recently (last 2-3years) have picked mentalism up so understand the ideas behind and pick the tricks up quickly."

Surely in that time you have managed to learn some great effects?

You mentioned "Billet reading" - I think if you have mastered some of the techniques with billets, you need look no further for "impromptu & strong".
Tá sé ach cleas má dhéanann tú sé cuma mhaith ar cheann.
MatCult
View Profile
Inner circle
1518 Posts

Profile of MatCult
Especially when combined with "mild coin magic".
"Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business."
Suffolk
View Profile
Veteran user
400 Posts

Profile of Suffolk
I've not performed socially since I turned pro over a decade ago.

The only time, other than at a gig, I'll have any mentalism props on me is if I'm meeting a client or a reporter and I'll usually plan a seemingly impromptu piece for that specific meeting.

I suppose if you *must* have something on you at all times Kollosal Killer or some business cards & a pen so you can do something involving a billet read or CT ought to cover pretty much any base.
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10393 Posts

Profile of saysold1
A spoon - also great if in the mood for soup or ice cream!
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme- "One of the most versatile and well made utility devices I have ever used. Highly recommended." Bob Cassidy www.SvenPads.com
B. Morrison
View Profile
Regular user
108 Posts

Profile of B. Morrison
Quote:
On Jul 27, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:

I find the Pea Can is very effective in securing gigs for my rain-making business.
Scott Soloff
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia, PA
960 Posts

Profile of Scott Soloff
Something you can always do and that requires no props is palm reading.

Can be done anywhere, anytime, no props, impresses the s%&* out of people and will book you gigs.

How's that for simple?

Best wishes,

Scott
p.s. Can also be combined with a one on one Q & A. Refer to my upcoming book for details.
'Curiouser and curiouser."
IbiMania
View Profile
Regular user
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
108 Posts

Profile of IbiMania
Magic or mentalism, do not be a "do the trick" monkey. For mentalism, perform on strangers or friends who you met while in a mentalist persona.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Ready to perform (5 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL