The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Pocket management for walk around (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
imagealter
View Profile
Regular user
Christopher Griffin
158 Posts

Profile of imagealter
Are there any good books out on pocket management in walk around situations? I need to battle the *bulge*.

Thanks
tommy k
View Profile
Regular user
144 Posts

Profile of tommy k
I don't know of any books on pocket management but I did find a device that has helped me keep my pocket props in order. It is the pocket organizer from Klamm magic. I thought is was a little pricey for what you get but it works for me. I am even considering getting another one for my left pocket.
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hi Christopher:

Eric Henning had an excellent post on this subject. He has a book out now, and posted a chapter from the book in this section...somewhere. If you do a search under his name, you'll find it. It is very helpful. One thing I really liked is his idea of a "trash pocket" (actually, I think he credits David Williamson for this idea).

Anyway, I hope this helps.

Ron
bkowkabany
View Profile
Loyal user
I have driven through the hearts of men
276 Posts

Profile of bkowkabany
There is a posted topic on this that may help.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=34
Download our Free Magic Inventory and Show Creation software - www.mailware.com/magic

Mentalist by day. Bizzarist by night.
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
A small leather fanny pack worn in the front works great for freeing up the pockets.
Daniel Faith
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I use a small, black leather fanny pack. I also have the Klamm organizer and the Pocket Pocket.

I have not gotten quite used to them, however.

Just a matter of time.

Frank
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
Depending on the situation, I use cargo type pants (but those don't look too good with a suit jacket).
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
Kannible
View Profile
New user
LAS VEGAS
56 Posts

Profile of Kannible
I use cargo. They work perfect for me.
Thanks... Kyle
Scott Wells
View Profile
Inner circle
Houston, TX
1025 Posts

Profile of Scott Wells
I believe it was Steve Dushek who used to sell dove vests (in both white and black). They are worn under the jacket and have three pouches on each side and attach to the top of your pants. I have never used it as a dove vest but I have used it for my walk-around.

Although you will still have bulges around your chest area under your jacket, it avoids the "pull" on the jacket and the unsightly bulges in your side pockets you normally get from having too much stuff in them. It also allows your coat to hang freely so you still look good. It also allows for great pocket management as you always know the compartment (or pouch) where the right pack of cards or other trick is located without any fumbling.

yours,
Scott
"A magician who isn't working is only fooling himself." - Scott Wells, M.I.M.C. with Gold Star

The Magic Word podcast: http://themagicwordpodcast.com Listen to convention coverage, interviews with magicians, pictures, videos and more.

Magic Inspirations website for all things Banachek: www.magicinspirations.net
Big Daddy Cool
View Profile
Inner circle
1604 Posts

Profile of Big Daddy Cool
Why do you guys carry so dang much? For walk around you really shouldn't need more than 3 - 4 solid routines. After all a pro performs the same material for different audiences right?
We'll catch ya on the Back of the Cereal Box!
Johnny
www.johnnybeyond.com
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

It's always the same for me.
I carry

Sponge Balls
A deck of cards
An extra deck of cards
Coins and Coin Purse
Slydini Silks
Silks and TT
Small magic wand
Pindemonium
Sharpie
Ballpoint Pen
Scotch Tape
Business Cards
Purse Frame
2 squeekers
Card Warp Deck
Maybe a gaffed card (DF or DB or sticky)
Small chop cup
Small bag of Balloons

And if I can get James Riser to make me a set of mini's I'd carry those too (somehow).

Wow! That's a lot now that I read it.

I carry it all in a fanny pack.
I know where it all is. I don't usually use everything.

If I had to go bare bones, I could just take a deck, a coin purse, spongeballs, and silks, I guess.

Frank
Big Daddy Cool
View Profile
Inner circle
1604 Posts

Frank,
I asked the question, and I know it is off topic (and should probably be in Food For Thought), but your answer somewhat validated the question. You said yourself, you never use everything. Then why carry it?

When I started working restaurants professionally I would go in loaded down with props. But the longer I worked in a real-world close-up environment, I found myself performing fewer pieces. I started out with 12 routines. Now, I am down to 4. I carry 3 sponge balls, 1 deck of cards, b'wave in a wallet w/ my ID, and a coin purse with 3 half dollars, and a sharpie. That is it.

When I perform for a table I am only going to have time for one, or two routines. So why carry more than I need? I have narrowed down my pro repetoire to only the strongest routines. And even with only 4 routines, I can perform different material for different tables if I need to. And if need be, I can perform additonal material with the cards and coins. But it never happens. I amaze them, make their jaws drop, and get the heck out of dodge.

And it all fits in my two front pants pockets. No fanny pack. No bulky cases or pouches hanging around. No goofy looking vest with a million bulging pockets. Two pockets, unlimited entertainment potential.
Johnny
www.johnnybeyond.com
Shawn D
View Profile
Elite user
Hughson,Ca
465 Posts

Profile of Shawn D
That is so true, Cool Daddy. Three to four great strong effects for each table and that's all you need. The only problem for me is that I have so many regulars now becasue I have been working the same place for 3 years I need that extra stuff just for them and I still repeat stuff. I am not talking about repeating it twice but 4-5 times. They still love it but that would be the only reason I carry extra stuff on me.When working a strolling gig you bet I only have about 5 tricks on me.
Shawn D
Big Daddy Cool
View Profile
Inner circle
1604 Posts

OK, here is a slight exception to the early rule. IF you are encountering repeat customers on a consistent basis, then it would be prudent to carry 1 extra piece. It could be a different routine with cards (that's why it is so important to learn card and coin magic with ungimmicked cards and coins), or maybe a routine with things from the table, or borrowed items. That way it doesn't take up any extra room in the pockets.

BUT, 3-4 routines for each table? That's spending a lot of time at a table. My general rule of thumb is to spend 3 - 5 MINUTES at each table. It is rare that I break that rule. Very rare.

So to re-cap the BCool Table Hopping Theory:
3-4 routines is all you need
3-5 minutes at a table
1 additional piece per week for repeat customers
Johnny
www.johnnybeyond.com
clivealive
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of clivealive
I carry in my inside jacket pocket card to wallet
outside left jacket pocket jiggernaut
outside right jacket pocket thumb tip
trouser left pocket sponge balls
trouser right pocket two pen knives
rear trouser pocket jumbo coin
on trouser belt card wallet
jacket breast pocket packet tricks
Scott Horn
View Profile
Elite user
Dallas, TX
417 Posts

Profile of Scott Horn
I provide a more analytical approach...

First, establish what effects you "need" to have at the ready. Second, determine what props you need to perform those effects. Third, work through the coreography of each effect to see if you "must" have certain props in certain places; put another way, separate the stuff that can be put "anywhere." Fourth, work out where to put the "flexible" stuff...this stuff can be put in a pouch, waist pack, etc.. Fifth, if you have to load up with too much stuff, try to cut back; you don't need to be able to perform "everything" "everywhere." Lastly, set it up, lock it in, and try to keep it that way.

Oh.. those "in the pocket" dividers work great. I made up one for coins. Its flat, holds a jumbo coin, and has 4 little pockets for coins. It keeps "types" of coins (C/S, shell, etc.) separate, I know where each is by position, and it keeps everything quiet in my pocket. I just wish I could sew.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Quote:
On 2004-05-13 10:45, Big Daddy Cool wrote:
Frank,
I asked the question, and I know it is off topic (and should probably be in Food For Thought), but your answer somewhat validated the question. You said yourself, you never use everything. Then why carry it?

I can't help it. I think that's the real answer. But I do think that gradually, I'm reducing as you point out.

I agree that less is better.

Frank
Big Daddy Cool
View Profile
Inner circle
1604 Posts

Quote:
On 2004-05-18 11:01, Scott Horn wrote:
I provide a more analytical approach...

First, establish what effects you "need" to have at the ready. Second, determine what props you need to perform those effects. Third, work through the coreography of each effect to see if you "must" have certain props in certain places; put another way, separate the stuff that can be put "anywhere." Fourth, work out where to put the "flexible" stuff...this stuff can be put in a pouch, waist pack, etc.. Fifth, if you have to load up with too much stuff, try to cut back; you don't need to be able to perform "everything" "everywhere." Lastly, set it up, lock it in, and try to keep it that way.

OK Scott, you caught me. In theater what props you use are determined by what props the character needs to use.

I take the same approach in magic, since I view it as a theatrical form. I allow my character (Big Daddy Cool) to determine what props I need. And admittedly, he needs only a few pieces.

I've allowed my theatrical point of view skew my advice to others somewhat. So, I will back track and agree that you should carry what ever your character needs.

But from an asthetic and technical view, I still think that less in the pockets is better than a ton in a pack.
Johnny
www.johnnybeyond.com
full circle
View Profile
New user
Pascagoula, Ms.
53 Posts

Profile of full circle
How does one of the magician`s rules "never repeat the same trick for the same person/audience" apply to restaurant, taverns, strolling, etc. when you do only a small number of tricks? Especially when a patron tells you they enjoyed your last performance.They may even be with someone and ask you to do a certain trick you did last time.

John
"A person who can laugh at himself, will never fail to be amused".
Big Daddy Cool
View Profile
Inner circle
1604 Posts

That is a great question! I think that rule applies to IMMEDIATELY repeating a trick for the same audience. I have seen Copperfield perform his duck bucket routine 100's of timesand it still is wonderful to me.

So go ahead a repeat that routine a week or two later when a customer comes back. If you are really anxious about it, learn an alternate method to the same trick. Bro. John Hamman was a genius at this.
Johnny
www.johnnybeyond.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Pocket management for walk around (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL