The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Pocket management for walk around (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
I learned a great lesson from the Great Tomsoni.

He was working at one of the big conventions here in Las Vegas (Comdex?) and after watching his show I was introduced to him during one of his breaks. He said "Stick around, I have another show to do..." so of course I did. One of his tricks was a card prediction (Nemo 1500?) where for the finale the selection is embossed in gold letters on the wallet itself.

Seeing it done once, of course I was looking for the same card to show up again. This time a different card was selected, so I was curious to see how Johnny would handle it. After the usual "is this your card?" failure that is typical of this trick, he turns over the wallet to reveal the spectator's card; a different card than what I saw before.

It didn't even dawn on me that he would have come prepared with more than one ending.

That made a big impression on me. Here I am, assuming I knew what was coming, and was even more surprised than the person who saw it the first time.

So, sometimes it is okay to repeat a trick. Just make sure the repeat is as good (or better) than the last time they saw it.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13417 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Now I have to carry around the Ninja Rings too.
Just when I thought I was reducing.

Frank
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
full circle
View Profile
New user
Pascagoula, Ms.
53 Posts

Profile of full circle
LOL! Yeah, know what you mean Frank. Seems the more I read these great posts the more tricks I have to have.

When I was a kid and got "bit" by the magic bug it was about MAGIC. Now it seems I`m leaning, leaning, leani...Nope! Got to shake off this feeling about mentalism.

John
"A person who can laugh at himself, will never fail to be amused".
Tom James
View Profile
Regular user
Cincinnati, Ohio
139 Posts

Profile of Tom James
I carry a small close-up case with some extra stuff in it for special times and for repeat customers. I only carry on my person maybe 5 to 7 routines. When I started doing magic in reasturants I always had a suit on, but now I ware a nice short slevee shirt and cargo pants. If I do a nice place I will put the suit back on, but it is too hot walking around in a suit for three or more hours. Plus it is easyier to manage everything with just cargo and a shirt on.

Keep the magic ALIVE

Tom
A.G.
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver Canada
958 Posts

Profile of A.G.
Once again, less is more.pack small play big.the less you carry the more you will be forced into entertaining rather than demoing magic tricks
full circle
View Profile
New user
Pascagoula, Ms.
53 Posts

Profile of full circle
Great point Gerardi, get the most ENTERTAINMENT out of the small amount of tricks you carry.

John
"A person who can laugh at himself, will never fail to be amused".
shawn popp
View Profile
Veteran user
Denver
313 Posts

Profile of shawn popp
I always try to do multiple effects with the props that I carry. More bang for the buck. For instance I carry 4 halves a shell and a jumbo coin. Now I can perform coins across, 3 fly, coins in hank, even coins through table coins to glass, a 1 coin routine with a jumbo coin finish, all with 4 halves. Obviously there are thousands of trick with a deck of cards. I once forgot my close up case and didn't realize it until I got to the restaurant. I had a deck of cards and some coins in my car and borrowed some rubber bands from the office and I did 3 hours with only the few props I had on me. Great learning experience (to never leave home without my case) that less is more.

Shawn
James Harrison
View Profile
Special user
Ontario, Canada
762 Posts

Profile of James Harrison
I work at three different restaurants, and so pocket management is important.

I argee with with Big Daddy Cool to an extent, you should be be able work a night with just the bare essentials in your pockets.

But you know, I like variety, not so much for my spectators, but for me. I carry all the different things I can do in a laptop case. And put it in the office of the manager.

Now if I start doing some tricks, and I feel like I want to do something else for a change, then I can go the the office, change tricks, and start up with that.

I hate carrying stuff on me, you get that terrible pocket bulge that's no good at a family restaurant, I want bare essentials.

But sometimes I want to break out the cups and balls, mainly 'cause the audience proved to me that they are an audience to show it to.

Or I have a boy or girl with a loose tooth, and I want to do sponge teeth from mouth.

You gotta come prepared, but I don't want to carry everything on me, I like open pocket space, so a case, even if you have to carry it with you, is what I would recommend.

Frank-If you have that stuff in your pouch, and your pockets and where ever else you have, and you got it set for you, then leave them there. Work on getting rid of the tricks you absolutely don't need, even if they are cool.

It might be taking up space for a trick that's even cooler, you know?
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12245 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On 2004-01-19 19:44, imagealter wrote:
Are there any good books out on pocket management in walk around situations? I need to battle the *bulge*.

Thanks

Yes, there is a good book.

http://www.leirpoll.com/pocket.htm

John Cesta
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

Profile of Dr_Stephen_Midnight
I do strolling mentalism, and rely heavily on side jacket pockets. I wear a black leather blazer that has flapless side pockets. Most of my decks, ESP packets, change envelopes, etc. go there.
My card packets for Mark Strivings' "You are Psychic" go in the breast pocket.

For casual situations I wear a safari shirt that has dual breast pockets and flapless side pockets.

Note: If carrying a packet trick in a shirt breast pocket, I always have something else (esp deck in the case, thin wallet, or etc.) in that pocket between me and the packet. I found out by experience that body heat and perspiration radiating through the shirt will warp the cards in the packet.

Steve
Dr. Lao: "Do you know what wisdom is?"
Mike: "No."
Dr. Lao: "Wise answer."
Carron
View Profile
Special user
UK
958 Posts

Profile of Carron
I remember a small inexpensive device sold by Carl Andrews called the pocket pocket, very practical and affordable, I think you can get these directly from carl.
how about a money belt? the sort that you were and keep all your travellers cheques in, at least thme it would stay out of sight, for myself I think a traditional fanny pack may look a little odd with a tux

Tom
magicduro
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas
529 Posts

Profile of magicduro
Where to put it all? Expand your mentalism effects that use only items you all ready have.
Jon Beetham
View Profile
New user
Newcastle
71 Posts

Profile of Jon Beetham
I have always adapted suits to have more pockets, costly but effective

Also I always found that I ended up using a Topit as a large pocket
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Profile of Werner G. Seitz
Quote:
On 2004-10-02 05:17, Jon Beetham wrote:
I have always adapted suits to have more pockets, costly but effective
IF/WHEN you are a pro..you simply HAVE to...

The audience doesn't know and you expand your performing possibilties several hundred percents..if in doubt, se what Jim Cellini did, after working from a pouch for many many years!
Learn a few things well.....this life is not long enough to do everything.....

( Words of wisdom from Albert Goshman ...it paid off for him - it might
as well for YOU!!!- My own magic is styled after that motto... Smile )
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5771 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I try to be able to do several effects with a regular deck of cards - cuts down on the props.

Typically, I may have a deck of cards, a few ropes, a wallet, a marker, sponge bunnies, bills for Mismade Bill, an Egg Bag and a Sun and Moon set. I try to avoid having a lot of props, on me.

I can do a few things with things on the table, such as a equivoque prediction effect where I write a prediction on the back of my business card.
jonnycardel
View Profile
New user
England (lakes)
50 Posts

Profile of jonnycardel
I Find a safe room to store equipment I can go there to reset props and/or change them. Jc Smile
Magician walks down the road and turned into a bar, da daaa
rexgetz
View Profile
New user
Manhattan, Ks.
84 Posts

Profile of rexgetz
If you custom fit a tuxedo jacket with pockets sewn inside you can eliminate the bulge and still have plenty of room for five or six items which is more than enough for the typical hospitality hour and cocktail party. You can also do the same thing with a suit jacket. Find a good tailor!
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
I have a vest (waistcoat for our friends in the UK) that has four pockets, two on each side, at hip level and directly above each other. They are perfect for a deck of cards or anything else that would fit in such a space, like business cards (set up for Sankey's Memory Lapse), color changing knives, extra coins (or final load coins), etc.

Added to a suit that matches and has 4 interior pockets, a hanky breast pocket outside and divided hip lockets in the coat, along with the suit pants pockets in front that also have interior "watch" pockets inside and regular rear pockets, I have all the room I need.

But I still carry my brief case to and from the gig because it's nice to be able to swap out material every once in a while (not to mention that I hate going home with my pockets loaded with all the stuff I usually have in there!

Hope this helps!

Lee Darrow, C.H.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24279 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I posted my setup under "Jackets."
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Scott Wells
View Profile
Inner circle
Houston, TX
1024 Posts

Profile of Scott Wells
Quote:
On 2004-11-30 13:38, Bill Palmer wrote:
I posted my setup under "Jackets."

Ditto. Check out the thread in this forum on "Jackets"

Quote:
On 2004-01-19 19:44, imagealter wrote:
Are there any good books out on pocket management in walk around situations? I need to battle the *bulge*.

Thanks

I think we have gone pretty far afield from Christopher's original request. The one book I am aware of and heartily endorse is "Pocket Power" by Jarle Leirpoll. You can read more about it at his website at http://www.leirpoll.com/pocket.htm As he says, "This book deals with your pockets, and how to use them for switches, ditches, steals etc. A whole chapter on stealing from your pockets." You can buy it through his website or a cheaper, used copy from H&R Magic Books at http://www.magicbookshop.com

yours,
Scott
"A magician who isn't working is only fooling himself." - Scott Wells, M.I.M.C. with Gold Star

The Magic Word podcast: http://themagicwordpodcast.com Listen to convention coverage, interviews with magicians, pictures, videos and more.

Magic Inspirations website for all things Banachek: www.magicinspirations.net
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Pocket management for walk around (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL