The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Self working material (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MagicBrent
View Profile
Inner circle
2574 Posts

Profile of MagicBrent
I'm saving up for the Stupid bean trick.....wanted to find out from you what you consider hard hitting effects that are big on presentation more than slights....I'm not a professional but have been in magic 30 plus years...as I get older and busy in job and parenting I don't practice as diligently as I'd like but I am a naturally humorous guy...wanted to develop an act that I can invest some time but try to be flexible in going off and on. Ideas? Btw I recognize that if I don't practice regularly, nothing will stick but wanted to get you thoughts. Thx guys!
LeoH
View Profile
Elite user
437 Posts

Profile of LeoH
Are you wanting to specifically develop a busking performance?
MagicBrent
View Profile
Inner circle
2574 Posts

Profile of MagicBrent
Good question...I used to work a restaurant in college...I like the idea of busking for the sense of adventure and not having to do the marketing and all...just fun performing and making money on the side....I've thought about different "sets"...close up set, stage, etc....I'm 43 and like Kozmos style from his busking DVD so naturally I thought the bean trick fit like that...just wondering other effects with more fun in performance than knuckle busting.
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1334 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
I have had lots of fun with a egg bag and that pretty starigth forward. Also stiff rope can be fun.

Hope this helps.
Enjoy your magic,

and let others enjoy it as well!
MagicBrent
View Profile
Inner circle
2574 Posts

Profile of MagicBrent
Thx for that...got one Smile
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved back to Midwest to see
1338 Posts

Profile of imgic
I've always had good luck with needle thru balloon. Saw a routine many years ago wear guy drew a face on the balloon and talked to it. I've adapted and expanded and changed it over the years to have a fun little routine with a trick that's pretty self working.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1472 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
Look at the classics. rope routines - egg bag - linking rings - card in balloon - misers dream
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Except for the "Super Needle & Balloon" and the Pom Pom Stick, EVERYTHING in my 60 minute family show is a "CLASSIC".

I really don't consider ANY trick as "self working". Even a breakaway wand needs a bit of practice! --and, PRESENTATION!

The PERFORMER and his PRESENTATION is ALWAYS MORE IMPORTANT THAN THE PROP!

PRACTICE does not "make" PERFECT! --P R O P E R PRACTICE CAN "MAKE" PERFECT!!

Fail to PLAN, and you PLAN to fail.

>>>>>Unless you are willing to PLAN, PREPARE, and PRACTICE A PRESENTATION, you should not PERFORM in PUBLIC!!!<<<<<

Good friend Robert has suggested several classics. Although he didn't mention it, I KNOW that he spends many hours, PLANNING his PRESENTATIONS,and then PRACTICING!

An egg bag, for example, is a PROP. It's a little bag, and an egg. I have seen (many times) a PERFORMANCE of the egg bag, BUTCHERED!!! by a "performer" who has no idea of the ENTERTAINMENT POTENTIAL of this simple prop. (A STRADIVARIUS is just a hunk of wood, catgut and horsehair, until an ARTIST "picks it up"!

A BASIC PRINCIPLE in PERFORMING is KIS-MIF. (Keep It Simple--Make It Fun) I have noted that many who suggest tricks, say that, "I have fun with (this of that trick)." --And, I, personally, have fun performing every trick that I perform. (Here comes the "BUT"!!!) BUT, (to quote AL BAKER) "It's OK to do tricks that YOU like--i.e. tricks that YOU have fun performing--but, be sure the audience likes them too! --Or,you may have to enjoy them by YOURSELF!"

MAKE IT FUN for the audience, not just yourself! (I have seen Robert perform the egg bag. His presentation is LOADED WITH LAUGHS! He knows that MAGIC is NOT INHERENTLY ENTERTAINING! So, he keeps it simple, and makes it fun.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1472 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
Dick is right on all point. how can I argu with somebody that has performed so much. he is a nice guy to. here my egg bag routine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6akKM5W1nc it is in the duch language but you see the fun and the laughs. personal story: it took me more then 15 years to understand the egg bag. it was love and hate. now I can't without it. I have done the egg bag in street shows /close up / stage / kids shows / trade shows everywhere. I still am working on the routine. I like the ken brooke ending where the ladies hold your wrists.

Magic Brent we gave you some thoughts and ideas build on that.
signal2noise
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of signal2noise
Really enjoyed the egg bag routine, Robert. Wish I could have understood the patter as everyone liked it and it seemed pretty funny. Thanks for posting it.
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1472 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
Your welcome.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Self working material (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL