The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Matt Mello 3 PDFS (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Magic.Maddy
View Profile
Inner circle
1861 Posts

Profile of Magic.Maddy
I got a prerelease copy of each of these effects to review and provide my thoughts. Here are my reviews which will not be biased in any way.

Cards and Numbers:

Matt loves to use a simple method covered by a great/natural presentation. This is an example of that. This is definitely an interesting way to go about an ACAAN. The deck isn't touched at all by anyone and can be held by the spectator the whole time. The cards are completely normal (although stacked as stated.) The process used to select the card and number uses an invisible deck so if you wanted, you could perform all the invisible deck jokes in conjunction with the routine. The working itself is extremely simple. The hardest part is learning the stack, but you don't even HAVE to do that. I, personally, love the impromptu method. The stacked method will work 100% of the time. And I would say the impromptu method would work 90% of the time. If I had to choose something bad to say, it would be that the spectator can't just name any card they want, or any number they want. HOWEVER they can have any card they want or any number they want. Just not both. The other one comes naturally as part of the process. Hope that makes sense as it is slightly confusing in text.

Over all, it's well worth $5. If nothing else, it will make you think differently about the ACAAN plot. This is a very different and interesting take on the classic.

Timekeeper:

This is another interesting take on a classic. It reminds me of "Synchronized" by Luke Jermay, but without the DR. In effect, two spectators start spinning hands on a watch. One on an imaginary watch in their head. And one on a real watch. The performer suddenly calls "STOP!" And both volunteers stop setting the watches. You ask the spectator with the imaginary watch to name what time they stopped on. After they name it, you have the one with the real watch show the time to everyone. It is exactly the same. This reminds me of Matts other release "Pulse Rate" and Matt mentions this is a great follow up to that effect. As stated, it's completely impromptu as long as you have a watch. The method is quite simple again and yet plays beautifully. There's really nothing to see. I guess there is a CHANCE of failure, but it would be very small. I say it should hit 98% of the time. If I had to say something bad, it would be that currently, the spectator can only pick an hour of the day. No minutes. However, I think with a little thought, you could find a way to use minutes as well.

Again for $5, this is a steal. It's a very interesting way to force a number on a spectator and could be used for many other things besides just this routine. As a matter of fact, you could use this as a force or a peek (but without anything written down or said out loud)

Match heads:

This is another VERY simple method but that is covered very well. This does use a gimmick, but it is a common one. I've personally never seen this gimmick used in this way, but the idea is so simple that I don't see how it hasn't been thought of before. Again with this, there isn't anything to see. The spectator names a number between 1-10, no force, and that number of matches are in the hand. No other matches are hidden in the thumb or behind fingers or anything like that. The hand is seen to be empty otherwise. The simplicity of this may cause some people to hate this, but if you appreciate the simple things in life, you will appreciate this. If I had to say a bad thing, it would be that this uses a gimmick. But that's just because I don't use many gimmicks in my work. I think this would make a great piece for introducing yourself as a restaurant magician or table hopping in general. It only takes about 60 seconds to perform, but those 60 seconds would leave the spectators wondering how.

Again, for $5, this is great.

So for $15, you can have three very powerful, unique, and simple effects. I think each one of these will challenge your thinking and maybe even knock back into your head the phrase "K.I.S.S."
Psy
View Profile
Veteran user
337 Posts

Profile of Psy
Where can we purchase these effects?
magicthree
View Profile
Special user
620 Posts

Profile of magicthree
I bought Cards and Numbers and it's a steal at $5. Throw in a jog shuffle in the beginning and it will play very strong.
matthewmello
View Profile
Special user
786 Posts

Profile of matthewmello
Sorry for the inconvenience to anyone looking to order these. As Maddy said, each individual effect is only $5. They can be purchased through my paypal, at mtricks16@aol.com or mattmello88@gmail.com

Just be sure to mention what effects you are intrested in.

I will also be putting these up on penguin a little later this week!

Matt
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4935 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
I bought all three of these from Matt and they are all, as usual, excellent. Easy to perform, direct plots and layered with misdirection. Matt is the future!
Thank you Matt for selling us your brain. you could have easily sold these to the TV guys.
James
Still with the Chinese circus Smile
brad12d3
View Profile
Special user
526 Posts

Profile of brad12d3
This effect is one of the cleanest ACAAN effects you can buy. It's very much to the point without a lot of procedure. The fact that the magician never touches the deck is huge point for me. There are many well thought out ACAANs that involve handling the deck, however I believe that this plot is strongest when the deck can remain undisturbed by the magician. The reason is that the spectator will always assume we did some sleight of hand to make the effect happen... even if we didn't. I was once accused of slipping the card out of the deck while performing Get Sharky... which of course I didn't. I wish my card handling skills were that good. However, the spectator will believe what they want to believe. However, if you can perform a clean ACAAN effect without ever touching the cards, then you will tie their brain up in knots. It's like trying to imagine infinity,.. their brain just can wrap around it. I think the advance version of Matt's ACAAN could easily achieve this with slightly different patter at the beginning of the selection process to make it feel more random. However the advance version does require skill with one particular card handling technique... but it's something done before the effect begins.. so there is still no card handling during the effect. This is worth checking out in my opinion.
brehaut
View Profile
Inner circle
kentucky
2531 Posts

Profile of brehaut
I got Cards and Numbers and it is ridicuosly cheap for $5. If I had purchased for $35 I would have been thrilled with my purchase. I know many ACAAN versions and this one has a lot going for it. It is extremely easy to perform yet extremely deceptive. A lay person (and I think with the right presentation a magicican/mentalist as well) will be fooled. It is direct and powerful. I can not recommend this enough. Raise the price Matthew!!!
daniltan
View Profile
Elite user
477 Posts

Profile of daniltan
I just paid for cards and numbers. Can't wait to learn them. Thanks for the share.

daniltan
Jeff Wassom
View Profile
Elite user
493 Posts

Profile of Jeff Wassom
Quote:
On Jul 29, 2014, brehaut wrote:
I got Cards and Numbers and it is ridicuosly cheap for $5. If I had purchased for $35 I would have been thrilled with my purchase. I know many ACAAN versions and this one has a lot going for it. It is extremely easy to perform yet extremely deceptive. A lay person (and I think with the right presentation a magicican/mentalist as well) will be fooled. It is direct and powerful. I can not recommend this enough. Raise the price Matthew!!!

Agree. The method on this bad boy is too clever. For $5 Matt's getting mugged.
daniltan
View Profile
Elite user
477 Posts

Profile of daniltan
Cards and numbers is really a strong effect and so easy to do. I just know as soon as I read it: I need to ch***. And there it is "The ch*** version". I love it! If you like ACAAN, then you better not miss this one.

daniltan
matthewmello
View Profile
Special user
786 Posts

Profile of matthewmello
Thanks everyone for the great feedback! Glad you guys are enjoying the ideas!

I've recieved a few repeat questions about Cards and Numbers, and thought I should address them here.

A stack IS involved in the main version, but it can be ANY stack. If you can memorize the stack, that's everything. After that, there's no mathematics, nothing written, no forcing, no sleights, no gimmicks, no extra decks or duplicate cards, and no strange or complicated procedures. Everything is as natural as it could be. The performer doesn't handle the cards the spectator mixed, and their freely chosen card is found at their freely chosen number, with the deck in their hands/pocket the entire time.

This is one of the most practical versions of the ACAAN effect that I've found. I was amazed that no one had developed this idea before. Once you learn it, you'll be kicking yourself for not realizing how easy a true ACAAN could be accomplished.

I've also had a lot of people who were worried about the $5 price, thinking that the method/effect wouldn't be worthwhile because it's so cheap. Truthfully, I decided to make it affordable because I WANT you guys to learn and use it. I'm positive this simple solution will be a suprise to many. And again, if anyone has any other questions, please shoot them my way!

Matt
brad12d3
View Profile
Special user
526 Posts

Profile of brad12d3
To add to Matt's post. If you have never used a memdeck before, it's not as scary as it sounds. I have a terrible memory,.. like embarrassingly bad, and I was able to memorize the 6 Hour Mem deck in about 4 hours. http://www.hermeticpress.com/product_info.php?products_id=67
Besides once you learn it, there are all kinds of effects you can do with it.

Also, Matt's ACAAN is incredible straight forward. There is no complicated math you have to work out in your head while simultaneously interacting with the spectator (something I could never do) so you can completely focus on your presentation. Actually, recalling memorized cards fits naturally into the routine so you won't be multitasking while recalling your stack. For 5 bucks it's a steal. The price is not a reflection of it's value, Matt's just being really generous.
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3399 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
Quote:
On Jul 28, 2014, matthewmello wrote:
Sorry for the inconvenience to anyone looking to order these. As Maddy said, each individual effect is only $5. They can be purchased through my paypal, at mtricks16@aol.com or mattmello88@gmail.com

Just be sure to mention what effects you are intrested in.

I will also be putting these up on penguin a little later this week!

Matt

Hi Matt,

Will the Penguin versions be the same generous price?

Regards,
Martin
matthewmello
View Profile
Special user
786 Posts

Profile of matthewmello
Hi Martin,

Yes, all three PDF's will remain at $5 when I add them to Penguin.

Matt
Imind
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of Imind
Couldn't have said it better myself.
lucavolpe
View Profile
Inner circle
Italy - London
3349 Posts

Profile of lucavolpe
These are great! Matt has suprised me with some very good ideas. As always the strong point is that despite their simplicity in methods, the effect on the spectator's point of view is very strong. Very good my friend!

Luca Volpe
matthewmello
View Profile
Special user
786 Posts

Profile of matthewmello
Thanks, Luca! I very much respect your opinion, so I'm happy to hear that you liked the ideas!
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7528 Posts

Profile of RNK
I have to agree with others here. First- for $5.00, this has to be one of the best deals I have seen lately. The Cards and Numbers routine is worth much more IMO. I have to say- these routines are typical M. Mello creations- easy to perform plots that will pack a punch. A lot of Matt's creations remind me of Liam's in a sense that they are not knuckle busting but still blow minds! I will post more of my thoughts on the last two pdf's later but as far as Cards and Numbers- I love it and think it will play huge. Now- Matt explains a few different ways this can be presented. The Basic version, Advanced version and Impromtu version. I feel the Basic version will play as big as the Advanced version. Some may be put off of the Advanced version due to a certain something you have to be able to do. This certain something I never spent the time learning to do and don't really care to. Though- as I stated earlier- it won't matter. The Basic version of Cards and Numbers is still so clean. I think this plot is one of the cleanest/easiest hand-off plots I have come across. Now- I do not have Dorian's MirAcaan and can not compare Matt's to it. Though- I have seen a lot of ACAAN plots and as far as hands off- this ranks at the top with the best. Especially for the price! Heck- for the price- considering you get two other very nice PDF's containing useable material- this is a no brainer. Pick it up and you will not be disappointed.

Great job Matt! I can't wait to perform this.....

RNK
Check out Bafflingbob.com
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3399 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
Quote:
On Jul 31, 2014, matthewmello wrote:
Hi Martin,

Yes, all three PDF's will remain at $5 when I add them to Penguin.

Matt

Thanks Matt. I look forward to reading them. I think your dark arts is a wonderful piece of close up mentalism. A real delight to be so brazen right under their noses!
matthewmello
View Profile
Special user
786 Posts

Profile of matthewmello
Thanks, Bob!

And thank you, Martin! I've added them to Penguin. Just waiting for them to be activated. Will post links when they are available!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Matt Mello 3 PDFS (5 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL