The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » B.I.P. Book Test: Anyone know about it? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

doowopper
View Profile
Elite user
492 Posts

Profile of doowopper
Hocus Pocus is selling a reasonably priced book test called, "The B.I.P. Book Test." Does anyone know anything about it?
Thanks.
Richard
rgranville
View Profile
Elite user
Boston area
463 Posts

Profile of rgranville
The ad copy is fairly accurate, the photo Hocus Pocus is grossly unfair - the book in that photo looks nothing like the B.I.P. book. The B.I.P. Book Test is not a book test the way you're probably thinking - it looks nothing like a "normal" book in any way. It is a pad about 4 inches by 3 inches with a cover proclaiming it to be "B.I.P. (British Institute of Parapsychology) Psychic Sensitivity Test Book." Each page of the pad has three items printed on it: a word; a simple geometric shape in a color containing another simple geometric shape of another color; and a three digit number. The write up on the Hocus Pocus site describes the four tests you can do with these three items.

One word of caution for non-British magi that has been brought up in other threads in the Café. One of the items to be divined is a fifty pound note - the "B" in B.I.P. stands for "British" after all. Some of the words that are to suggest this item, "sterling" and "queen" specifically, may not lead a non-British spectator to the desired item unless he knows that the official term is "pounds sterling" and that the note has a portrait of the Queen on it.

Smile
Axman
View Profile
Elite user
402 Posts

Profile of Axman
I have the B.I.P book and it is Excellent. The comments about the british thing are valid but covered by the prop. plus there are other effects as well as the word divination.
I really like this and it plays extremely well.
doowopper
View Profile
Elite user
492 Posts

Profile of doowopper
Hi Axman,
Is it possible for you to elaborate on what you mean by "covered by the prop?" I am not trying to find out "secret." I am just trying to find out how useful the effect will be for me. Also, is the pad used up eventually by using one slip for each performance of it?
Thanks to you and rgranville for your responses.
Richard

Quote:
On 2004-01-20 05:16, Axman wrote:
I have the B.I.P book and it is Excellent. The comments about the british thing are valid but covered by the prop. plus there are other effects as well as the word divination.
I really like this and it plays extremely well.
Axman
View Profile
Elite user
402 Posts

Profile of Axman
Sure. The prop is meant to be a field test for the British institute of Parapsychology. This covers the "britishness" of one of the words. Although I agree that someone not versed in british currency etc may have trouble associating the correct word.
I don't think many would have this problem though and it could be covered with some creative patter.
It is also only one of the effects possible.
The pad will last for ages as nothing is added or taken away. The spec opens the book wherever they like and remebers any aspect on the page they freely peeked, the book is in their hands at this point. you then read their mind. Nothing written down.
do it for one person or many.
If you are in two minds I'd say go for it. I really think you'll get a lot out of it.
Hope this helps.
rgranville
View Profile
Elite user
Boston area
463 Posts

Profile of rgranville
I agree with Axman. I like B.I.P., and given the price of mentalism effects in general, this is a bargain. I just didn't want you to be disappointed if you were expecting something like MOAB.

And I agree with Axman that the "Britishness" can easily be covered with creative patter, but you had better be preemptive and do that covering beforehand.
Smile
Gordon Astley
View Profile
New user
45 Posts

Profile of Gordon Astley
Little late to this but have only just got BIP. Is there a plan to do a USA version as the currency bit does not play well here?
Gordon Astley
MagicCarisio
View Profile
Inner circle
1061 Posts

Profile of MagicCarisio
Hi Gordon,
A USA version will be released next year!
Gerard
Gordon Astley
View Profile
New user
45 Posts

Profile of Gordon Astley
Thanks for that. Please keep me posted.
Gordon Astley
Peter Nardi
View Profile
Inner circle
2238 Posts

Profile of Peter Nardi
Hi All,

We are currently working on B.I.P II, which will we have a US friendly back cover (those who have BIP will understand) There will also be a few little improvements.

Regards

Peter
PS. if anyone has anything they would like to see added please PM me.
MagicCarisio
View Profile
Inner circle
1061 Posts

Profile of MagicCarisio
Hi Peter,
Sure wish the USA version will be released this year!
I can hardly wait!
Gerard
MSD921
View Profile
Special user
616 Posts

Profile of MSD921
I live in the USA. The British $$$ portion of this routine should not keep you from buying it. For those of you that are resorceful, one of the magi-sellers has this effect deeply discounted (40% off). Buy it cheap now, perform it, and get the US version when it comes out. Just a thought!
MSD921
View Profile
Special user
616 Posts

Profile of MSD921
I do mean "resourceful"
magiclee
View Profile
Special user
570 Posts

Profile of magiclee
What dealer has it for %40 off?

magiclee
MSD921
View Profile
Special user
616 Posts

Profile of MSD921
Magiclee - I am sort of new here, but not to magic. I am happy to provide the firm that has B.I.P. on 40% off sale, if it is acceptable practice on this forum. Yes/No? I see other dealers mentioned, but I am not sure of the policy. FYI, I am a consumer/hobbiest/performer, not a dealer. Just being careful.
magiclee
View Profile
Special user
570 Posts

Profile of magiclee
Perhaps you can PM me, so only I would see your message.

magiclee
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » B.I.P. Book Test: Anyone know about it? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL