We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Performance Anxiety (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
blva888
View Profile
New user
80 Posts

Profile of blva888
I have learned that most people are nervous because you don't want to screw up. So to get over this go do the trick and screw it up. What is the worst that can happen? You screwed up so what. Go on to something easy or self working and than go to the slights and moves. some times they don't even know you screwed up until you actualy point it out. If you do screw up just move to something else you know.

BTW I do still get nervouse because I don't want to screw up LOL. But I start with easy stuff first and usualy the nervouseness goes away.

hope this helps you or any one else.
Mr. Oops

The Worlds Greatest(?)

Magician

www.mromagicshow.com
ClungeMagnet
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of ClungeMagnet
Quote:
On Jul 28, 2014, Snoogansgt wrote:
So I've been practicing some card routines religiously for about the past 2-3 months or so, and I finally felt like they were performance ready. Well I failed miserably! Thank goodness it was in front of family and they were very understanding. During my practice, I would execute every move flawlessly (overhand shuffle control, classic pass, double lift, etc.) At the very beginning of my routine I got so nervous I completely lost dexterity with my hands. My hands got sweaty and very shaky from my nerves. Needless to say, I found it very difficult to execute these sleights with cards and botched 2 out of the 3 tricks I did at that time. I felt horrible and embarrassed!!!

Is there any advice from you guys about how to possibly overcome this fear and anxiety? I can execute card moves precisely in my practice. I just get so worked up and nervous when I start to perform that it causes my to mess up the effects. Any advice would be much appreciated! Thank you.

Script your trick. By that, I mean write down EVERY WORD you are going to say and learn it like lines for a play.

Then work out exactly where you will stand and what you will be doing with your body. Like blocking a play.

Then add in the moves and magic.

Practise this for a couple of weeks every day until you can do the whole thing (words, moves, magic) without thinking at all about it.

You'll find your nerves will vanish.
vianns
View Profile
Regular user
France - Paris
135 Posts

Profile of vianns
Quote:
On Jul 28, 2014, Snoogansgt wrote:
So I've been practicing some card routines religiously for about the past 2-3 months or so, and I finally felt like they were performance ready. Well I failed miserably! Thank goodness it was in front of family and they were very understanding. During my practice, I would execute every move flawlessly (overhand shuffle control, classic pass, double lift, etc.) At the very beginning of my routine I got so nervous I completely lost dexterity with my hands. My hands got sweaty and very shaky from my nerves. Needless to say, I found it very difficult to execute these sleights with cards and botched 2 out of the 3 tricks I did at that time. I felt horrible and embarrassed!!!

Is there any advice from you guys about how to possibly overcome this fear and anxiety? I can execute card moves precisely in my practice. I just get so worked up and nervous when I start to perform that it causes my to mess up the effects. Any advice would be much appreciated! Thank you.

I'm too very new to magic, and I've always be shy (less since some years) in public. When I started doing some tricks to my family and friends, it was really hard. But I went step by step - 1 trick one day, an other trick an other day, etc... and now it's better. It's still difficult with strangers but practising will only make you better Smile
demo scene
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of demo scene
I would also suggest to start practicing jazz magic. Look at the tricks you're doing and figure out problems that can arise during them, then figure out if those problems can lead into a different trick. The audience doesn't know where the trick is going, and honestly it can be fun if the magician doesn't either. When I was younger, I was so nervous performing once I accidentally reversed some cards in my overhand shuffle and the spectators started snickering. Then something clicked and I remembered that they didn't know what I was about to do. So when I went to flip the cards back over I did Larry Jennings' reverse. That way when I went to have them pick a card they saw another reversed card. Then I secretly reversed another one as I flipped that one back around. The people were floored from the stupid little utility moves. Then I realized that this was an excellent lead into triumph, which knocked their socks off. I had a blast performing it, because I didn't know I had that routine in me. Now, I kinda look forward to screw ups, because I never know what I'll learn. Trust me, your practice will show through once you get over that initial hump. If you want to see an excellent jazz magician look up Dani Daortiz.

My next tip sounds weird, but it's a good way to deal with the physical aspect of nerves(sweating, shaking, fast heart rate). I used to practice martial arts and they would always have us jog and do jumping jacks before we would practice moves, to simulate nerves. It helped there, so I started doing that every now and then before practicing tricks. It helped me with the shaking.
frankvomit
View Profile
Elite user
485 Posts

Profile of frankvomit
One of my first public magic performances I did the bean mystery (with tic tacs) I was trembling so much I couldn't keep the tic tacs in position so what I had to do was keep talking til my hands stopped shaking then I was able to proceed. made the whole room think I was a freak. success!

I've been a performing musician so long most audiences don't even faze me but when my guitar was gone it was up to me to move the audience it wasnt easy but as hard as it may seem the best thing to do is stay calm and know the audience doesn't know how this stuff is done or where you are going with it so you already have the advantage.
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2020 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
It is like anything else you were afraid to take your first steps, afraid to ride a bike, afraid to drive a car, afraid on the first date etc, but after awhile you just did them all without thinking. They become natural acts that you become accustomed to.
The great trouble with magicians is the fact that they believe when they have bought a certain trick or piece of apparatus, and know the method or procedure, that they are full-fledged mystifiers. -- Harry Houdini
lifeofwonder
View Profile
New user
Australia
54 Posts

Profile of lifeofwonder
Self working tricks always gave me the confidence until I could tackle anything harder. That feeling when you've executed something hard to perform is such a great feeling though...

When I first performed for an audience of over 100, I used the line that I'm "working on an experiment and would love to see how you all go" to give me confidence and direct the attention away.
kumpletoo
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of kumpletoo
I have so been there, done that, and worn the t-shirt....

To break the anxiety wall, my best advice is to keep performing to anybody (family, friends, strangers). You have to really force yourself to do this... Practicing in front of the mirror by yourself will not make the anxiety go away...

Perform, perform, you will have failures and you will have successes. It's the number of performance you do and the experience you gain from it is what will make you a more confident and chip the anxiety wall away...
LewisF
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of LewisF
If you are great while practising then the problem is nerves. If you know you are going to perform it can give you some anxiety. If you drink then have a couple with friends and show some random people without planning to. If you don't drink decide to do it for a random stranger. It's scary but if you do it in the heat of the moment you won't have time to become nervous. Also, if you're more introvert, perform for one friend and ask them: tell me how it looks. You're suddenly not performing but sharing it with a friend. Your goal is not to fool but to share, that could take away some stress. Like all things: practice!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Performance Anxiety (8 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL