The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » The Monkey Paw (26 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3796 Posts

Profile of The Curator
Image


From Panoptikum - Wunderkammer Zurich, now at the Surnateum: The Monkey's Paw, for the classic W.W.Jacobs story. But is this a Monkey Paw, a Lemurian Paw, probably from Madagascar or some kind of sloth?
A bit too big for an Aye-Aye Paw (the paw has the lenght of my hand).
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3796 Posts

Profile of The Curator
Cryptozoologists believe that the giant aye-aye (Daubentonia robusta) still exists.
More interesting: aye-aye are considered evil and bringer of bad luck in Madagascar...

http://frontiersofzoology.blogspot.be/20......car.html

Quote:
TRATRATRATRA: “Madagascar’s yeti”, if anything deserves that tag. Described by witnesses as “hairy-ape-man-like”, and quite large. Sundry putative giant-lemur species have been identified in Madagascar from subfossil remains, some seen as having lasted as long as up to several centuries ago (seen as exterminated by man). Envisaged “tratratratra” candidates: the sloth lemur Palaeopropithecus ingens, shown from radio-carbon dating of sub-fossil remains to have existed at least until c. 1500 AD. Or the supposedly extinct lemur Hadropithecus, with a relatively flattened ape-like or humanoid face? There is an account from the 1930s (source other than Heuvelmans) of a French forester in Madagascar who “came face to face with an animal sitting 4ft. high, and described it as being unlike other lemurs he had seen. It did not have a muzzle, but was like a gorilla with ‘the face of one of my ancestors’.”
PROF BC
View Profile
Inner circle
1358 Posts

Profile of PROF BC
Quote:
On Jul 29, 2014, The Curator wrote:
Envisaged “tratratratra” candidates: the sloth lemur Palaeopropithecus ingens, shown from radio-carbon dating of sub-fossil remains to have existed at least until c. 1500 AD. Or the supposedly extinct lemur Hadropithecus, with a relatively flattened ape-like or humanoid face? There is an account from the 1930s (source other than Heuvelmans) of a French forester in Madagascar who “came face to face with an animal sitting 4ft. high, and described it as being unlike other lemurs he had seen. It did not have a muzzle, but was like a gorilla with ‘the face of one of my ancestors’.”


Wow, I can't imagine that any of his ancestors are going to thank him for that crack, and, on a related note, what must this French forester have looked like?

BC
Phasmologist
Balaram
View Profile
Special user
903 Posts

Profile of Balaram
Hmmmm--wasn't there an unusual race of ancient beings who helped the exiled King of Ayodhya rescue his kidnapped bride?!
Vanaras they were called, yes?
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3796 Posts

Profile of The Curator
The story is finished in French, here is a display of the items of the routine.
The setting is in Kathmandu in 1967...

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3796 Posts

Profile of The Curator
The story is finished in French, here is a display of the items of the routine.
The setting is in Kathmandu in 1967...

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3796 Posts

Profile of The Curator
The Banjara Pouch contains the Chillum, the Paw, the snuff spoon, Beedies, ...

Image


The routine name is: Sex and Drugs and Monkey's Paw...
horus1
View Profile
Special user
636 Posts

Profile of horus1
Wow!!
I had no idea you were headed this direction with your first post of the paw!
This looks to be a complete reimagining of the spooky tale I heard as a kid.

LOVE the props!! As always your care down to the finest detail is evident.

Thanks for sharing. Your work is inspiring.
And of of course we're compelled to want to know more.. more MORE!!
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3796 Posts

Profile of The Curator
The text must be translated in English, but it's a very original approach of the story. And there are some effects...
Godzilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Tied & Untied Witches on
5318 Posts

Profile of Godzilla
Quote:
On Aug 4, 2014, The Curator wrote:
The Banjara Pouch contains the Chillum, the Paw, the snuff spoon, Beedies, ...

Image


The routine name is: Sex and Drugs and Monkey's Paw...



You, already had me at Monkey Paw... Smile
"If you watch Godzilla backwards, it's about a big ass lizard who helps rebuild a half burnt-down city, then moonwalks back into the ocean"
horus1
View Profile
Special user
636 Posts

Profile of horus1
Quote:
On Aug 4, 2014, The Curator wrote:
The text must be translated in English, but it's a very original approach of the story. And there are some effects...


Have to ask... Any plans to translate to English and release?
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3796 Posts

Profile of The Curator
Quote:
On Aug 4, 2014, horus1 wrote:
Quote:
On Aug 4, 2014, The Curator wrote:
The text must be translated in English, but it's a very original approach of the story. And there are some effects...


Have to ask... Any plans to translate to English and release?


When my friend Carl will have the time.
horus1
View Profile
Special user
636 Posts

Profile of horus1
Quote:
On Aug 5, 2014, The Curator wrote:
Quote:
On Aug 4, 2014, horus1 wrote:
Quote:
On Aug 4, 2014, The Curator wrote:
The text must be translated in English, but it's a very original approach of the story. And there are some effects...


Have to ask... Any plans to translate to English and release?


When my friend Carl will have the time.


I look forward to that day!
Brynmore14
View Profile
Inner circle
The Séance Chamber
1812 Posts

Profile of Brynmore14
Purba, cool!
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3796 Posts

Profile of The Curator
Quote:
On Aug 5, 2014, Brynmore14 wrote:
Purba, cool!


It's an antique Phurbu thogchag/Thokcha made from meteoritic iron and an ivory skull bead.
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3796 Posts

Profile of The Curator
More details...

Image

Image

Image
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3796 Posts

Profile of The Curator
Image


In the story, this little buddy is important...
PROF BC
View Profile
Inner circle
1358 Posts

Profile of PROF BC
So beautiful, such mastery. Looking forward, with everyone else, to reading this presentation.

BC
Phasmologist
horus1
View Profile
Special user
636 Posts

Profile of horus1
The details keep getting better and better!
This looks to be a wonderfully elaborate routine!
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3796 Posts

Profile of The Curator
Image

Image


My friend Carl, who translates most of the texts, is on holidays now. But if you can read French, just send me a PM and I send you the text in reply.
The pictures represent a coin tray (cigar box) from a guy who came back from India/Nepal in the late sixties.
You'll notice a lot of tiny details...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » The Monkey Paw (26 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL