The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Tables (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1715 Posts

Profile of jakeg
I don't know if this is the proper place to post this, but I use 2 16X18 tables in my show. The bases telescope and I use a plexiglass top with a flang on it to screw into the base. The problem is that the plexiglass is very heavy. Does anyone know of a lightr material to use? It obviously has to be fidget, but the size is not important.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12590 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Why not try quarter inch plywood? Paint it black. (Unless you see a red door, then you can paint it black, too. Smile)
sandsjr
View Profile
Special user
836 Posts

Profile of sandsjr
1/4" or even 3/8" plywood and if you want glue/tack 3/4" x 1/2" molding on the perimeter to sturdy it up. Glue a piece of wood big enough to hold a flange or a tripod screw and you're good to go. I've built several of these for alla prima paint boxes. Works great. You could use removable hinges to make a case with a handle out of the 2 tables too. That would make travel easy.
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1715 Posts

Profile of jakeg
Thank you guys. I like it.
eSamuels
View Profile
Inner circle
3029 Posts

Profile of eSamuels
Jakeg,

What width of Plexiglas are you using?
I've been producing and using this type of tabletop for years and don't find them at all heavy (which, I suppose is a relative issue).
I also love the clean look of the plexi tops, whether in clear or a darker material.

Also, curious as to what kind of telescoping stand you are using?

e
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1715 Posts

Profile of jakeg
Quote:
On Jul 31, 2014, eSamuels wrote:
Jakeg,

What width of Plexiglas are you using?
I've been producing and using this type of tabletop for years and don't find them at all heavy (which, I suppose is a relative issue).
I also love the clean look of the plexi tops, whether in clear or a darker material.

Also, curious as to what kind of telescoping stand you are using?

I originally used plexiglass because I liked the look of it, but maybe what I'm using is too thick.
I don't remember the make of the stand, (it's been about 30 years), but I believe that they are light stands that I bought from a photo store. If you're interested, you might want to pull up B&H photo and see what they have.

e
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12590 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Yes. If it's an inch thick it's way to heavy. Like plywood, Plexiglas comes in various thicknesses. What you need depends on how heavy your props are.
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1715 Posts

Profile of jakeg
Quote:
On Jul 31, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
Yes. If it's an inch thick it's way to heavy. Like plywood, Plexiglas comes in various thicknesses. What you need depends on how heavy your props are.

I was more concerned with the how rigid the top is than the weight on it. Other than the tables, my props are very light . It just happened to work out that way.
eSamuels
View Profile
Inner circle
3029 Posts

Profile of eSamuels
Plexiglas is quite robust, even in thinner dimensions.
I use 1/4" and it's quite strong and relatively light.
http://i1148.photobucket.com/albums/o573......d877.jpg
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Tables (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL