The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The Known Universe (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
As you look at galaxies further and further away, they appear to be moving faster and faster away from us. And it is possible that they could eventually appear to be moving away from us faster than light. At that point, light leaving the distant galaxy would never reach us.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I find this difficult to comprehend. By that I mean if traveling away from us, I do not see how we would never see the light that it emitted. However if traveling toward us I can understand never seeing it coming until it has past.

However I am not a physicist. I am just thinking aloud or should I say thinking via the internet. Seems to me it would be like the V2 rockets that traveled faster than sound. They would hit and explode then you would hear them coming.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4633 Posts

Profile of Potty the Pirate
Quote:
On Aug 26, 2014, acesover wrote:
As you look at galaxies further and further away, they appear to be moving faster and faster away from us. And it is possible that they could eventually appear to be moving away from us faster than light. At that point, light leaving the distant galaxy would never reach us.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I find this difficult to comprehend. By that I mean if traveling away from us, I do not see how we would never see the light that it emitted. However if traveling toward us I can understand never seeing it coming until it has past.

However I am not a physicist. I am just thinking aloud or should I say thinking via the internet. Seems to me it would be like the V2 rockets that traveled faster than sound. They would hit and explode then you would hear them coming.

It's theoretical, but if space itself is expanding faster than the speed of light, light can never escape that expansion horizon. A bit similar to what happens with gravity in black holes.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
"Theoretical physics can prove that an elephant can hang from a cliff with its tail tied to a daisy"

- Kevin Costner as Jim Garrison, JFK.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4633 Posts

Quote:
On Aug 26, 2014, LobowolfXXX wrote:
"Theoretical physics can prove that an elephant can hang from a cliff with its tail tied to a daisy"

- Kevin Costner as Jim Garrison, JFK.

I found an interesting documentary with Morgan Freeman about theories of what the edge of the Universe is. More and more scientists are accepting the concept of a "multiverse", which literally makes sense on many levels.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xv6i29_......ortfilms
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
One sad side effect of this expansion is that most of the galaxies will have receded over this horizon in about 3 trillion years...

(wiping sweat from brow) "Whew! I thought you said 3 billion for a moment there. You had me worried!"
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On Aug 26, 2014, landmark wrote:
Quote:
One sad side effect of this expansion is that most of the galaxies will have receded over this horizon in about 3 trillion years...

(wiping sweat from brow) "Whew! I thought you said 3 billion for a moment there. You had me worried!"

Lol
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On Aug 26, 2014, Potty the Pirate wrote:
Quote:
On Aug 26, 2014, acesover wrote:

It's theoretical, but if space itself is expanding faster than the speed of light, light can never escape that expansion horizon. A bit similar to what happens with gravity in black holes.

Still makes no sense. The light emanating from said object traveling faster than light does not dissipate. While it can never be seen from the direction it is approaching I do not see why it cannot be seen from where it once was. Of course when seeing the light the object is not there just the light that said object omitted.

Also just what is a "expansion horizon"? Is it just something someone came up with in order to explain what they believe? I have never heard of it before. While you said your version is theoretical is "expansion horizon" also theoretical and used only to further someone's idea? It does not sound logical. Again never seeing it approaching is logical as the light cannot leave the object fast enough but what it left behind does not go away. If the object stopped or slowed down less than the speed of ligh it would be able to be seen approaching.

It is late. Good Night.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4633 Posts

If you understand what I mean by "expansion horizon", you'll get it. I really can't remember if it's the correct term. Assume space is expanding between the observer and the source of light. Assume for the purposes of simplicity, that the objects are otherwise static relative to each other, and that it's only the expansion of space itself which is driving them apart.

When (if) that expansion ever happens at the speed of light, then any light passing through that region of space would have an ever-increasing distance to travel to escape. Any light that enters the region would carry on travelling through that same bit of space, as long as the expansion continues.

It would not get to the "other side" of the expanding space, to where the observer is.
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
I don't know what an "expansion horizon" is. As I said I never heard of it but I am not a physicist.

However I do not believe that your example of expanding space holds water as I believe it can only expand to where it never was. If it is expanding at all.

It seems contradictory that space is expanding into space. Therefore once the light was given off from its source it will continue to travel in a straight line in the opposite direction (assuming it is also traveling at the speed of light). Therefore in one second the light would travel backwards 186,00 miles, while said object will have traveled 186,000 miles in the opposite direction putting the light source 372,000 miles from which it can be viewed after one second...remember we are only viewing the light emitted from the source not the source. Why would the space expand between the source of light and the viewer of light? If that were the case "NOTHINIG" would be visible.

I do not believe that space can expand into space. Makes no sense. If space is really expanding it can I believe only expand outward not inward so the distance from the object omitting the light and the viewer of the light does not change.

Of course my view is completely simplistic and not in the least bit scientific. I am only using examples of what I can fathom.

Getting a headache. Smile
Harry the magic man
View Profile
Loyal user
Spokane, Washington
270 Posts

Profile of Harry the magic man
The Milky Way tastes like raspberries. The chemical that gives the berries their taste is present in space. Pretty cool.
Best wishes,
Harry
Between the conception
And the creation
Between the emotion
And the response
Falls the Shadow
Life is very long- T.S. Eliot "The Hollow Men"
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On Aug 30, 2014, Harry the magic man wrote:
The Milky Way tastes like raspberries. The chemical that gives the berries their taste is present in space. Pretty cool.
Best wishes,
Harry

Are you tommy's lost twin?
Wait I get it--your profile says Regular user...
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On Aug 30, 2014, landmark wrote:
Quote:
Best wishes,
Harry

OMG. Great post. I had to think about it a bit. Fantastic.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Thanks for the article reference mr. c.

Any thoughts about the graininess experiment?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On Aug 30, 2014, landmark wrote:
Quote:
Best wishes,
Harry

My vote for Post of the Year!
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4633 Posts

Quote:
On Aug 28, 2014, acesover wrote:
I don't know what an "expansion horizon" is. As I said I never heard of it but I am not a physicist.

However I do not believe that your example of expanding space holds water as I believe it can only expand to where it never was. If it is expanding at all.

It seems contradictory that space is expanding into space. Therefore once the light was given off from its source it will continue to travel in a straight line in the opposite direction (assuming it is also traveling at the speed of light). Therefore in one second the light would travel backwards 186,00 miles, while said object will have traveled 186,000 miles in the opposite direction putting the light source 372,000 miles from which it can be viewed after one second...remember we are only viewing the light emitted from the source not the source. Why would the space expand between the source of light and the viewer of light? If that were the case "NOTHINIG" would be visible.

I do not believe that space can expand into space. Makes no sense. If space is really expanding it can I believe only expand outward not inward so the distance from the object omitting the light and the viewer of the light does not change.

Of course my view is completely simplistic and not in the least bit scientific. I am only using examples of what I can fathom.

Getting a headache. Smile

It's theoretical, as I said, and yes, it relies on the fact that space itself can expand. There is no reason to assume it cannot, as space and time are effectively "by-products" of energy and matter.

Space and time are shaped by the activity of matter and energy within the Universe, this is already understood.

As it is, we know pretty much for certain that the outer "edges" of the Universe are constantly receding rapidly, and that space within the Universe is affected by gravity and other factors. That's what much cutting edge astrophysics is based on.

There are of course many, many theories out there, since no one has the definitive answer yet.

However, I am of the camp which believes it's meaningless to talk about "empty space", since if there is no matter or energy present, there is, effectively, no space for it to exist in. The Universe therefore creates it's own space in which to exist as it expands.

Some theories would argue that the Universe's expansion is not just at the perimeter, but could happen within, imagine a "tear" in space, leading to the effect we discussed.
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
188 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Here's an interesting clip of Neil DeGrasse Tyson discussing the expanding Universe...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_H5fLJJcwg

Ron
"It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from inquiry." Thomas Paine
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The Known Universe (5 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL