We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » Magic Castle Survival at Issue (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
Diana Zimmerman and some others have formed a new management group in league with the Glover family (the Magic Castle property owners) in order to wrest control of the Magic Castle from the AMA and Milt Larsen in a sort of 'hostile takeover'--purportedly to 'save' the Magic Castle.

The new management group is demanding unprecedented levels of control of the Magic Castle, the AMA, and the food and beverage concessions, under threat of the loss of our lease on the historic RB Lane mansion.

If the board, Milt, and the new management group can not come to a mutually satisfying agreement, which looks to be very difficult, either the Magic Castle and the AMA will have to look for a new place to live, or the AMA will have to separate from Milt and the name Magic Castle in order to remain in the current building.

More info available on the Castle Forum at http://www.magiccastle.com/
Marshall Thornside
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2016 Posts

Profile of Marshall Thornside
The Magic Castle should move to Chicago. They would do much better.

Once there was talk about having a Magic
Castle II out here. This might be a great possiblity.
you will remember my name

World's Youngest Illusionista
7th greatest pianist in the world
Go Red For Women and Stroke Ambassador
www.mai-ling.net
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27164 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
You are welcome to join the gang for pizza and/or in NYC. No fancy player piano. No club membership. No public to impress. And conditions for close-up are realistic at the pizza place. Smile

Is Dick Zimmerman alive? I met him in Tannen's and was invited out to the castle. It would be nice to visit the place.

I would prefer to see 'The Magic Castle' remain separate from Disney's 'Haunted Mansion' even if the two are a natural merger. We are after all the keepers of the secrets of applying technology to create emotional effects and affects.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
M-Illusion
View Profile
Special user
549 Posts

Profile of M-Illusion
It would be sad to see anything happen to the Castle. I have visited it many times and have always been enchanted by it, it's magic, and the magic presented within.
Marshall Thornside
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2016 Posts

Profile of Marshall Thornside
Quote:
On 2004-01-20 10:14, JonTown wrote:
Is Dick Zimmerman alive? I met him in Tannen's and was invited out to the castle. It would be nice to visit the place.

Dick and Tracy live an hour away from me.
you will remember my name

World's Youngest Illusionista
7th greatest pianist in the world
Go Red For Women and Stroke Ambassador
www.mai-ling.net
Big Jeff
View Profile
Veteran user
301 Posts

Profile of Big Jeff
I have a pass I haven't used, guess I better go soon.
Automark
View Profile
New user
100 Posts

Profile of Automark
Whit, is there anything we as magicians can do to help in the situation?

Automark Smile
thumbslinger
View Profile
Elite user
This is a good number:
458 Posts

Profile of thumbslinger
It's a terrible reflection of the state of man and his mind. Tradition and integrity are all but gone when the mighty dollar comes into play.

I hope the members of the 'business group' who went underground to deal behind Milts back get exposed and shunned by the magical community.

If you want some modern-day pimp looking fake atmosphere, then go build one yourself.

I see the stupid, misguided reasoning behind their thinking. What this 'Diana' and all her compadres need to do is spend the money to buy any book by Jack Trout or Al Reis and they will learn how it will not work, no matter what angle they take by taking the Magic Castle and trying to 'upgrade' and extend the brand.

The Castle is a landmark, historical monument and integral component to the entire field of magic and shouldn't be treated as some shallow scheme to make money.

They can do that on their own, but leave the Castle out.
Chet Atkins, Jerry Reed and Tommy Emmanuel are all you need to study to learn to play guitar.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
While these are all good and Noble thoughts it is foolish to think that Glover Family is going to forfeit profits for a tradition they‘re not particularly interested in.

If we want an everlasting shrine to magic it better be on our dime, as we cannot rely upon kindness of developers.

Frankly I’m shocked that it has taken this long for the Castle's Board to start doing something. One would have thought that they’d had seen this coming ages ago and started looking, either to buy the existing site or move it to a new location where they either had a hundred year lease or owned the property outright.

I’ve only been to the Castle once and know very little about it’s internal affairs but I’m sure there is a power struggle of some kind going on as I’ve heard rumblings all the way up here in Seattle over the past couple of years.

In the end, the money side will win and unfortunately it doesn’t look like it’s going to be Milt.

The Castle is a landmark, a historical monument and integral component to the entire field of magic which unfortunately resides in a building we don’t own and on a piece of property whose monetary value is far more what an ailing clubhouse can pay.

And though you're right that it shouldn't be treated as some shallow scheme to make money. It might have been precisely this thinking that got it to its current state of affairs in the first place.

In the end it’s their property and we will have little to say on the matter.
I agree with Whit. It’s long overtime to move to better digs.
Digs we own.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Gordon
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
692 Posts

Profile of Gordon
Yes, please do let us know if there's some way to help preserve the Castle. I'm not a member (don't live in the area) but have visited a few times and I deeply appreciate it as a historical icon for conjurers everywhere.
cheesewrestler
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1152 Posts

Profile of cheesewrestler
Probably best to not even waste money and energy fighting it. Look for another Victorian mansion in Southern Ca. that can be bought or long-term leased - maybe even a rehab job? Get the greater showbiz community involved; stage benefits ... moving could even re-energize the Castle as an institution.
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
I tend to agree with cheesewrestler.
Lonnie Dilan
View Profile
Special user
Canyon Country, California
823 Posts

Profile of Lonnie Dilan
Sounds bad.
Chris Berry
View Profile
Special user
831 Posts

Profile of Chris Berry
Oh boy...thanks for sharing this Whit.

It is making my mind boggle around so I have to re-read it tomorrow. Not too much of a surprise. I better not get screwed out of the money I paid for this year’s membership.

I agree with Lonnie.

Chris
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10804 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Relocate to San Pedro Ca., build an exact duplicate of the Magic Castle over looking the pacific ocean.
Or in the Ports of Call area…

vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
I was always surprised famous magi (Ammar, Daryl, etc.) haven't purchased this years ago.

Has anyone looked into having this building protected for historic reasons? Might be a way to keep the carpetbaggers away.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Stuart Hooper
View Profile
Special user
Mithrandir
759 Posts

Profile of Stuart Hooper
Why not put it on a beautiful Santa Barbara/California Mission style mansion here in the Republic of Panama? That's what my family is doing with our traditions! I do not know the exact value of the Magic Castle; but having recently sold a house in California, I know that for much less money you could buy hundreds of acres on an exquisite beach front, and put up building for a fraction of the cost of California. Not to mention the fact that permits and such are much easier to obtain here! A whole magic complex! Smile It sounds like we all want the Castle to be where we live.

I think it sad, that with more magicians than ever, our only true home, our guild house, is being threatened. Wherever it ends up, it should be somewhere secluded, and safe.

:stout:
Hideo Kato
View Profile
Inner circle
Tokyo
5649 Posts

Profile of Hideo Kato
Magical Empire disappeared. Wizard disappeared. Then Magic Castle? What is happening about magic in U.S.?

It's very sad.

Hideo Kato
Stuart Hooper
View Profile
Special user
Mithrandir
759 Posts

Profile of Stuart Hooper
Don't say "What is happening to magic in the U.S.?" The question is better posed as: "What is happening to the U.S.?"

Smile
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2677 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
No, the question is posed in a more vague and less effective manner when you ask, "What is happening to the U.S.?"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » Magic Castle Survival at Issue (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL