The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » Magic Castle Survival at Issue (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of dpe666
Is there any reason why the Historical Society can't declare The Magic Castle a historical landmark? Smile
AmazingA
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago
151 Posts

Profile of AmazingA
I'm 21 now, but I have yet to visit the Castle. Hope I get to before (if anything) happens to it, hopefully not though. It would rock if they'd make one here in Chicago though!
Mr. Muggle
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Mr. Muggle
How long has the Castle been there?

I think historical preservation usually is done with farmhouses, etc., after the original building or dwelling has been owned by the same family for 100 years. I believe that there are limitations with upgrades too, but not sure.

I'm not a member, and don't know much about the history of the Castle. In fact, I've only seen it through the Larry Jennings tape.

But it is the only reason I'd ever go to California.

MM
"Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it because you're not really looking. You don't really want to know the secret... You want to be fooled." - The Prestige (2006)
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
The 1970s were what they were.
Castles in the sky evaporate.
The campfire remains a place to tell stories.
Finding the hearth is its own story.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I believe they lease the building as a while back there was an article as to having to move. That is why they were looking at other sites around the U.S.
Christopher
View Profile
Special user
531 Posts

Profile of Christopher
The best bet would be to contact the anthropology department at a local university regarding preservation. As an undergrad student, I worked on a local opera house and mill. The structure does not have to be over 100 years old, nor does it have to be a farmhouse. However, this would only preserve the structure itself, not necessarily the business that occupies it. Anyone in the area with any initiative should call a university. We were always looking for preservation projects.
mattneufeld
View Profile
Regular user
119 Posts

Profile of mattneufeld
Please don't be overly dramatic and use a pretty much standard owner-occupant lease battle as some weird slam on the United States, which, by the way, Magic Castle or not, will remain the most prosperous, rich, democratic, free, powerful and strong country on the face of the earth, for goodness' sake. There are literally millions of similar owner-occupant lease battles raging across the world--in every country, mind you, not just the U.S. It's simply a battle between owner and occupant concerning the lease and economics, and it happens every day, in every country. Quite a few folks are confident that the Magic Castle can find a new home in a new building, if it comes to that. And the United States will go on!
Mr. Muggle
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Mr. Muggle
Great article with what's going on with the M.C. in MAGIC magazine this month.

http://www.magicmagazine.com/

MM
"Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it because you're not really looking. You don't really want to know the secret... You want to be fooled." - The Prestige (2006)
magiczak
View Profile
Regular user
Granada Hills, CA
159 Posts

Profile of magiczak
Where's the article?
**Zak**
Chris Berry
View Profile
Special user
831 Posts

Profile of Chris Berry
Zak, you have to buy the magazine to read it.

Chris
Hideo Kato
View Profile
Inner circle
Tokyo
5649 Posts

Profile of Hideo Kato
Did you read this one?

Click here.

Hideo Kato
magiczak
View Profile
Regular user
Granada Hills, CA
159 Posts

Profile of magiczak
Oh, thanks Chris.
**Zak**
Tantrik
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of Tantrik
I have been a member of the Castle for a very long time (my membership number is below M 2700). I've been through a great deal with the Castle.

I remember when the "big room" held about 50 people (it's now a museum with a close up table).

I remember when we tried to improve the air conditioning and upon inspection were closed for lack of a sprinkler system. We ended up seeing shows in the garage, which was turned into a stage.

I remember seeing horrible performers who should have had their hands cut off before performing again.

I remember having my socks knocked off by performers I'd never heard of.

I remember building and adding on to the Castle, adding the new rooms downstairs.

I remember men pulling women into the mens' room so the women could hear the nasty comments made when standing close to the urinals.

I remember being tested for Magician (then called "regular") membership by some of the best magicians in the world and shaking as I performed. I also remember Senator Crandal kicking some of my props backstage.

I remember the Castle chili, which was great, and some meals that had better be left unmentioned.

I have lived in Los Angeles, San Diego, and Minnesota, and have kept my membership through thick and thin. Why? Because the Magic Castle is not a place, it is a club. It is a group of men and women who love magic and like others to see what they like.

Many other places have been set up to show magic. Some have been far more deluxe. Most have faded away. Even some of the big places in Vegas have closed. But the Castle stays open not because of where it is or because of Irma the ghost or in spite of increases in dues and bad food. It stays open because of the people. We are a club. It's not the building, it's the club.

If the club goes elsewhere, that's where we will go. The Lane Mansion is irrelevant. The Hollywood location is irrelevant. It is the people, the club members, that matter. The building is nothing. The members ARE the Magic Castle.

It is sad that the "Castle Partners" (who are trying to take over) don't seem to understand that. I would much prefer their input and vitality (and funds, too) that would help the situation. They can take over the building and location, but they will not be able to take over the true Magic Castle, for that does not exist in some place and time. It lives in the hearts, minds, and spirits of the members.
The Wonder Company
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of The Wonder Company
Tantric, that was beautiful. Thank you.
mike paris
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Profile of mike paris
I think I know how you feel. When I joined the Magic Circle in London, it was in the Chenies Mews. Everyone had heard of the Magic Circle but no one knew where it was, except for taxi drivers. When the time came that the lease was expired and we had to move on, it was sad, but after finding temporary accommodation, the search was on for the freehold permanent Magic Circle in Euston, and so now the Magic Circle in London is established, and the same will happen to the Castle. The committee will get together and make decisions for a better and more permanent Magic Castle. I've never been to the Castle but I am hopefully coming to LA in mid May. Could someone give me the address? mike
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
The idea of the Castle, the dream of the Larsens, has been captured in the TV series 'The Magician'.

As a political organization or social movement magic may have lost its way in the last fifty years. The shift in focus from 'what can we do' to 'what did they do' is telling.

While there are children and where there is hope, there will be magic. The role of the magician in society has not changed.

Whether they gather in a pizza place or in a club, magicians will meet to support each other and to improve the craft.

The Castle in LA appears quite a nice place. It does our community good to have a stronghold people can visit and be children again.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
John McDonald
View Profile
Regular user
Manchester, England, UK
171 Posts

Profile of John McDonald
I am unclear about what is happening. Is the Castle closing? Going to close? Is it moving?
Best wishes John
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
I wonder why the giants of magic don't buy it?
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5931 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Because it is not for sale.
Big Jeff
View Profile
Loyal user
300 Posts

Profile of Big Jeff
I heard that castle partners has disbanded and is no longer in the picture. I aslo heard that there will be "a Big Announcement" at the awards show on May 1.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » Magic Castle Survival at Issue (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL