The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tenyo of Japan » » Does anyone really use Tenyo in their performance? (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

mndude
View Profile
Special user
880 Posts

Profile of mndude
I've ordered a few Tenyo products and I love them. I just can't imagine using many of these little plastic gimmicks during any kind of performance. Are there any particular Tenyo products that you actually use in your performance?
reed kammerer
View Profile
Veteran user
320 Posts

Profile of reed kammerer
I have used crystal clever in many of my walk around shows, a real killer for lay people.
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2532 Posts

Profile of Richard Kaufman
I'm not a professional magician, but I've done 15 minute "shows" consisting entirely of Tenyo tricks for people who've visited my home. No one says, "I'd rather see a card trick." Smile
Daisydog
View Profile
Loyal user
220 Posts

Profile of Daisydog
The lovely Ninja Experiment is great to perform. Can't put it in my pocket though!
Galileo
View Profile
Elite user
Somerville MA
431 Posts

Profile of Galileo
I don't personally but like others there nothing I love more then sitting my family down and making them watch me perform my entire tenyo collection to them. I can imagine there are a select few tenyo products out there like the 4D case that working magicians might occasionally use for residencies.
Peter Cuddihy
View Profile
Veteran user
Peter S. Cuddihy
369 Posts

Profile of Peter Cuddihy
Those who do The Miser's Dream in a parlor setting with quarters can easily use the Tenyo Coin Fan to pull quarters from the air and drop them into the receptacle held in their other hand.

I used the Coin Fan quite a bit for this purpose when performing at birthday parties as a child.

The Tenyo Coin Fan is a very practical utility item.
khuzhai
View Profile
New user
77 Posts

Profile of khuzhai
Linking rings, coloring books, crystal cleaver. 4d surprise and the rope one which I cant remember the name. all useful
Killertweety
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium (-Europe)
1457 Posts

Profile of Killertweety
Quote:
On Jul 31, 2014, mndude wrote:
I've ordered a few Tenyo products and I love them. I just can't imagine using many of these little plastic gimmicks during any kind of performance. Are there any particular Tenyo products that you actually use in your performance?

Aaaaah, the good old 'plastic gimmick' question Smile A lot has been written on this subject!

In my opinion there are several ways to perform a Tenyo for laymen as a professional magician:
- perform them as they are: plastic gimmicks, made by a very 'special' Japanese company who does just that - invent clever magic tricks on a yearly basis - as suggested above Crystal Cleaver and 4D Surprise are great examples;
- some Tenyo's are just great the way they are: Ghost Lamp, Koornwinder Car (a plastic toy car actually makes sense!), rope tricks (don't underestimate 4 Nightmares DX for example!), card tricks (some Tenyo specials are great, as are for example Grand Derby Prediction and Magic Painting) and Parabox as performed by Paul Daniels (however this one is hard to find and therefore a bit expensive for what you actually get unfortunately);
- improve it: decorate it for example
- routine, routine, routine! Draw the attention away from your 'magic trick'!

I've actually written some stuff on my website about what you're asking: http://www.tenyo.be/#july20131 & http://www.tenyo.be/#july20133
Jack
View Profile
Veteran user
371 Posts

Profile of Jack
I do occasionally perform a Tenyo trick. I work out of my briefcase sometimes and can safely transport the little plastic wonders on those occasions. The people love them, like a mini stage show. 'Trisector' is one of my favorites, it gets a big reaction and looks gorgeous when placed on a pool table or bar.
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5157 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Quote:
On Jul 31, 2014, Richard Kaufman wrote:
I'm not a professional magician, but I've done 15 minute "shows" consisting entirely of Tenyo tricks for people who've visited my home. No one says, "I'd rather see a card trick." Smile

Agreed. I have a Crystal Cleaver in my desk drawer at my office. I can't tell you how many times I have shown this to people who want to "see me do a trick." I go into a fake rant about anyone being able to show a little card trick, but not everyone can show a little illusion. And bam...I bring it out and talk about illusions on TV, and this is a way to get the same effects close up, blah, blah...anyway. It's not too hard. The fact is, though many of Tenyo's past effects are primarily plastic, they are top-notch plastic effects. We are talking LEGO quality regarding tolerances and finishes. It's hard to match what Tenyo creates in plastic. So, no need to shy away from taking these out of your close up case, or pants pocket. You are showing quality. And like every potentially good trick, there is hopefully a potentially good magician.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
jefferson8888
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of jefferson8888
Tenyo trick is good depends on the trick, just like the tricks you buy, some of them are good and some are not, so choose a good tenyo trick and it wont matter if it is made of plastic or look like a toy.
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
I have used many Tenyo tricks in close up magic. How well they work depends upon how you perform. I like to mix some intensity with some sillyness, so if I pull out a little plastic "toy", it fits into the appeal of my performance.

I think that Tenyo products are best suited for performers who are completely comfortable in not taking themselves too seriously.

Also, some of the Tenyo products are SO amazing, that I have re-built them as wooden props. In fact, right now I am working on a wooden version of Trisector, an amazing little piece of magic.

KJ
FunMagic!
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of FunMagic!
Here is a professional magician performing a plastic Tenyo trick on television.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1B2rTi4aRA
Magical Moments
View Profile
Veteran user
341 Posts

Profile of Magical Moments
There certainly are some Tenyo props which are quite suitable for professional performances such as WHATS NEXT. When I performed regularly, it was a staple.

Most of their tricks are for close-up performances so if you do not mind using plastic apparatus, I cannot see why not.

Keep in mind that if your presentation is good, you can turn what looks like a toy into fantastic foolers.

By the way, there has been much discussion about this over the years with mixed opinions of course.
ElDan88
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of ElDan88
I really love to use Crystal Cleaver and Eye of the idol. I don't care about it being out of plastic, if you sell the effect.
aposjf12
View Profile
New user
New York City
96 Posts

Profile of aposjf12
I'm a bar magician. As for "gimmicky" plastic tricks - I used Tenyos Crystal Cleaver often. It kills. ive also performed the old ball and vase found in every magic kit. I gave some of my bartender friends who arent magicians some Tenyo tricks like Zig Zag cigarette and crystal cleaver and they love them
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tenyo of Japan » » Does anyone really use Tenyo in their performance? (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL