The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Bachelors of Magic No Longer With Us (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

James Maury
View Profile
New user
Las Vegas NV
5 Posts

Profile of James Maury
First, a short explanatory Prelude . . .

For a rather long while now (fifty years) I've nurtured an abiding, quiet fascination for those of Magic now sadly passed on to the Great Beyond (mostly fellows) that had bravely sacrificed Amorous Life for one exclusively of Magic-As-Art, this whether as performer, author or maker of apparatus, and who, as a logical result, had determined that they should remain as Bachelors For Life! (Confirmed or not.)

From the performing area, one such that comes to my mind is the most famous and esteemed Germaine. Doubtless-so, what a spectacular sacrifice was his : No messy Mates, just Magic!

So, (wondering rhetorically now) just what in this singular regard might have been "the story," of this particular master's extreme, fleshly sacrifice to the Art Goddess?

Consider that the magnificent, most estimable Mister Newton was a bachelor life-long, whereas J.S. Bach certainly was not (with around twenty offspring, give-or-take a few, which Frau Bach by no means could keep all straight) but, nevertheless, both were unequaled, equivalent geniuses, within their respective fields of discipline.

Because so covered by active coverup-making (on account of whatever the actual, dark compulsion to do-so) "the Story" of the Englishman's is likely now to be buried forever!

Now, as might be wondered about by those interested, to what possible productive utility is this - to make as a blank, a vital human aspect that completes such a genius's whole life picture which without features gaping, curious holes? (Equally, this would apply to the less-than-genius classes as well, fair being fair s it must.)

Ours are Modern Times now, when shameful secrecy concerning essential aspects of person-hood of the now sadly passed-away, is thankfully abating, and this rightfully and needfully-so, or at least this is the way this writer does regard the matter.

[End.]

The Suggestion itself . . .

By way of recommendation I would like to see made-anew, a Forum dedicated to this novel and not inappropriate subject. Perhaps it, as well, like the one for Secrets discussions, might be made private or, available to those only expressing a desire to enter after having achieved some number, or quality of posts elsewhere.

And further, as I conceive it, all of the known plethora of does and don'ts that rightly bind us all so as to assure comity and good conduct here ('or-else!'), would apply there as well, and perhaps to be made more rigorous-still by some special arrangement, this in consideration of the likely fine delicacy of such a fascinating and unique subject matter.

This venue seems one mature enough to consider such a reasonable proposition, I do believe . . .

(Truly, I hope that I've not now cooked my Newbie Goose. Soon enough, I am sure, we'll see.)

James Maury
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Say what?
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13152 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
I'm sorry to say, the venue is not mature enough.
This has been tried, failed horribly, and was removed.

Tony
Kbuck54
View Profile
Veteran user
343 Posts

Profile of Kbuck54
I agree with Tony. Move along young man.
Keith Shazam
SHAZAM!
James Maury
View Profile
New user
Las Vegas NV
5 Posts

Profile of James Maury
Dear Tony,

Too bad about the maturity part, but maybe things have now improved.

That is very interesting, that it failed "horribly".

In what way was it tried, and by whom and when?

Was it traumatic as to effect generally or, simply degenerated into some sort of tastelessness?

Was it moderated?

I know, a lot of questions but, any answers might serve as useful knowing, where only holes exist now.

(Being only a Newbie here, I could not possibly have known of any of this history, as you have most kindly related it.)

Thank you.

J.M.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4171 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
I didn't know Jonathan Townsend had created a 2nd Café account! Smile

(James, your writing style is quite reminiscent to me of Jonathan's)
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13152 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
James:

I am only speaking for myself, a member of the forum.

It turned tasteless and worse, it is amazing how ugly people can get.

It was moderated, the entire Café is, but the staff cannot be everywhere all the time.

An administrative decision was made by Steve to discontinue and remove that area.
This has happened with other areas as well.

Steve has been flexible and tried adding several areas in the Café that turned into magnets for those not open to those areas and who do not follow a "live snd let live" personal philosophy, as well as being administrative nightmares.

That bring said, "Magicians of Old" (where this thread is now, is where topics relating to Magicians of Old should be placed.
No special area is needed to discuss them.
You can start a thread in this area and see where it goes.

What it boils down to is, this place is about magic, and it does a heck of a good job.

Tony
James Maury
View Profile
New user
Las Vegas NV
5 Posts

Profile of James Maury
Dear Chessmann,

Sorry, but I'm afraid I don't know any Jonathan Townsend. I have my own life and history, as you can read there at my first postings. Ask any of the ones mentioned that are still alive, and they will affirm that 'I am who I am'.

Maybe I should know this Jonathan Townsend? If he writes similarly to myself, he might be one interesting chap to know.

Does he post here as a member of the M.C.?

Thank you for the interesting information.

Be well.

J.M.
James Maury
View Profile
New user
Las Vegas NV
5 Posts

Profile of James Maury
Tony:

Most kind of you to avail me of all that useful info.

So, there is history re this area.

". . . tasteless and worse, . . ."

Hmm, a picture is now focusing and it appears as one not attractive. O.K., I understand.

I have yet to see the "Magicians of Old" but shall and soon.

Yes, it is about Magic.

Again, thanks much for taking the time to explain.

J.M.

PS It is rare to see the correct usage by writers of a colon after hailing names, when addressing persons not-yet-known to one. The other over-familiar option is so popular, that it is easy to slip into same, as almost all now do. Culture is as culture does.
Peter McMillan
View Profile
Elite user
St. George, Utah
498 Posts

Profile of Peter McMillan
Perhaps it is best to let the embers of those who have past, remain undisturbed on the hearth.
Spiritus Dictum Artifacts ~ Tools of the Craft for Serious Workers http://petemcmillan.wixsite.com/sd-artifacts/artifacts
~
www.SantaPeteUtah.com
James Maury
View Profile
New user
Las Vegas NV
5 Posts

Profile of James Maury
Peter McMillan:

Thank you for weighing-in with your thought provoking contribution.

I've heard this suggestion (argument) made for the reason as you cited however, all magicians now passed had at one time a past and of these, that which was of the hidden then, become fair game to ever-further probative inquiries of We, the still-living of now.

In this way entire pictures of heroes and villains come into improved, more correct focus, and thus become more solid (credible) as to their necessary reality for inclusion with the Great Historic Record.

It is so that many would have the world and reality as they would, not as it is and must be. Such individuals and groups, I charge, were responsible directly for the burning of the Library of Alexandria, for example. Such wickedness must forever be resisted, and with overwhelming force of right conviction as well as physical where and when found necessary.

So, some new thing, for instance, if it were to appear concerning our Great Houdini, would such work to lessen or even destroy the man in our eyes or rather, serve to clear up matters about him still opaque, and to thereby put more reality into our man for truer, perfected understandings of him?

Surely, the Library Burning Set would at such a prospect shout-out 'Let us here of it NOT! It is vaunted sainthood that stands to be made WRECKAGE!'

Whereas others their opposites might exclaim, 'Ah, now we understand that he was human like us. On this new accounting we revere and treasure him all-the-more. So-be-it.'

This is a very great difference, the span existent between those two.

Proper revisionism is to be with us forever, just as it is in the field of physics or law, here leaving out vile Necessity herself, avowed enemy agent of both truth and law.

I say truth-is-truth; and sovereign it is absolutely.

But with all the above notwithstanding, I am considering still what you have put-forth, Peter McMillan. It has legs.

Kindest Regards,

J.M.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4171 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Hello, James -

Yes, Jonathan is one of the Café's most active posters - there was no way you could have known that, of course. Just an off-topic bit of fun on my part for those who know Jonathan's writings here.

Welcome to the Café -
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
James Maury
View Profile
New user
Las Vegas NV
5 Posts

Profile of James Maury
Hello, Chessmann-

Since your first post and my answer I discovered that.

Your were right; at first-blush examination there do seem to be similarities.

I appreciate your welcome.

J.M.
HudsonView
View Profile
New user
98 Posts

Profile of HudsonView
Well, getting back to the original subject, to me the poster child for this type of dedication and lifestyle would be Stewart James. Not only a lifelong bachelor, but he lived his entire life in the house he grew up in and had a rich and meaningful relationship to a number of imaginary friends. I think his peculiarities totally inform his creative output. while not in the magic world, Glenn Gould is another. Perhaps it has something to do with being Canadian. Smile

If these folks were alive today, most likely we would recognize these features as being symptoms of Aspergers.
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1241 Posts

Profile of Leo H
A few more magicians who were (possibly) lifelong bachelors include John Mulholland, Sam Margulies, and Joe Cossari. I know that Cossari had a companion in his later years who assisted him on stage (Esther) but I don't believe they married.

Margulies was a close friend of Dai Vernon and was part of the New York City magic scene from the early to mid 20th century. He worked with Horace Goldin in his younger days.
James Maury
View Profile
New user
Las Vegas NV
5 Posts

Profile of James Maury
HudsonView and Leo H

Those are useful and interesting facts and observations.

Thanks to you both for them.

When regarding this very ancient, ever-present reality, Humanity beats itself-so!

It is tragic.

J.M.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Bachelors of Magic No Longer With Us (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL