The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » One man modern art (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

philblackmore
View Profile
Regular user
199 Posts

Profile of philblackmore
I've just been thinking about this illusion. I think it was on Tilfords site.
How would you perform an illusion like this in a solo show? With the usual two person version there can be dramatic tension built up by the magician outside of the box, or comedy byplay between the magician and assistant, or dance routines before and after etc..etc.
All this would be taken away with the one man version. How could you make it more than mans walks into box, does trick then walks out.
I have thought of pretending your assistant couldn't make it, so you are under the pretence of showing the audience what it would of looked like had she been there.Maybe even showing the audience the lovely costume you bought for her to wear by putting it on yourself. If the costume looks silly then that could be the reason for her not turning up.
or: for the next illusion I need someone clever, brave, intelligent and incredibly good looking, it could only be me!
Still once you are in the box the presentation possiblities come down to the soundtrack and facial expressions. Maybe special lighting or other effects. Maybe sound effects.
Does anyone else have any other thoughts on how to present an illusion like this one-man? To me it seems quite difficult to make it interesting.

Phil
HarbinJr.
View Profile
Elite user
I only have
450 Posts

Profile of HarbinJr.
Phil,

I think you have some interesting ideas on how to present the illusion. True, that doing an illusion on manned does make for some presentational challenges but sometimes where there is a challenge you can then make it into a signature peice that really fits your personality. Keep working on it and you'll be suprised by the results. Trust me on this one. I hvae invented several one manned illusion that fit my style and personality. Holler or pm me if you hve more questions. I think your on the right track personally though.

Robert
Aroy
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of Aroy
What if the magic was not about the box itself but about the knife/blade/ instrument used for the dissection?

Not knowing what design changes you will need to do to make this illusion work (dependant on the dissection modus) if the presentation focussed on say...the relationship between the magician and his knife...the story line could be about the invulnerability of the magician.

just a thought!

ROY
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » One man modern art (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL