The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Life Lessons From "The Intelligent Investor" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On Aug 4, 2014, S2000magician wrote:
Quote:
On Aug 3, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
. . . I think joint ventures are a good thing provided they pay dividends which are really gains if you think about it.

Joint ventures are particular popular these days in Washington and Colorado.

And a good investment too? I predict it will go sky high!
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Quote:
On Aug 4, 2014, balducci wrote:
Quote:
On Aug 3, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
Like I always say, "Nothing ventured, nothing gained." So if you don't venture you can't gain, and a gain without a venture is nothing because if you don't venture anything you don't gain anything but I think joint ventures are a good thing provided they pay dividends which are really gains if you think about it.

Was that a serious post, or were you just having fun playing off the Ventura name? Smile

Actually, I wasn't thinking of Jesse when I wrote it. I was just parodying a certain writing style.
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Profile of General_Magician
That courtroom isn't about the truth, it's about making the lawyers rich. Plenty of people been falsely convicted by a jury and later found innocent through DNA testing and plenty of guilty people walk free because they have money or are or have been in positions of power. I believe Jesse was shooting his mouth off and got punched out for it. People will sue successfully, even if you were telling the truth, just shut you up. Just because Jesse won his lawsuit doesn't mean that what Chris Kyle said wasn't true. I believe Chris punched out Jesse and I don't believe Chris would just eat his rice krispies one morning and say "HEY! Let's just go punch Jesse Ventura out just for no reason! Just for kicks!" Things just don't work that way.

Anyway, back to the thread. The alternative to investing in actively managed funds is that when a fund manager has the midas touch and everything he touches turns to gold, then other funds want him too so they can make money off of that fund manager. So, he is quickly scooped up by another fund and the fund you initially invested has a new fund manager. Who knows if that fund manager will be just as good. Not only that, actively managed funds are more expensive, have more trading costs and over the long term those costs add up and harm your return on investment while the cost savings of index funds add up and increase your return on investment. Over the long term, index funds outperform most actively managed funds and you get a better return on investment over the long term. And investment is a long term proposition.

The first and most important thing to look at in any fund is not the fund manager or it's recent returns, but rather, it's cost to you the investor. Index funds are cheaper because it's not managed by anybody.
"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there is a light shining somewhere nearby." -unknown

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On Aug 4, 2014, General_Magician wrote:
. . . actively managed funds are more expensive, have more trading costs and over the long term those costs add up and harm your return on investment. Over the long term, index funds outperform most actively managed funds and you get a better return on investment over the long term. And investment is a long term proposition.

Yes: you've mentioned these before. Nobody here appears to disagree with this.
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Well there you go, case closed! Invest in index funds over actively managed funds. Just make sure those index funds aren't overpriced in what they charge. Nothing more to debate about! That's what I have been saying along but you guys wanted to argue against index funds in favor of actively managed funds because some say actively managed funds outperform index funds. But the fact remains, you make more money off index funds if you wish to invest your money (and by investing, I mean it's a long term proposition).
"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there is a light shining somewhere nearby." -unknown

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
. . . you guys wanted to argue against index funds in favor of actively managed funds because some say actively managed funds outperform index funds.

Nobody here said anything of the sort.

Not in this thread, and not in any of the other threads on investing in which you've participated.

If you have any evidence to the contrary, please present it. If not, please stop accusing us of doing things we aren't doing.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

You've completely missed the point once again. This discussion is pointless.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
Well there you go, case closed! Invest in index funds over actively managed funds. Just make sure those index funds aren't overpriced in what they charge. Nothing more to debate about! That's what I have been saying along but you guys wanted to argue against index funds in favor of actively managed funds because some say actively managed funds outperform index funds. But the fact remains, you make more money off index funds if you wish to invest your money (and by investing, I mean it's a long term proposition).

Some actively managed funds (and fund managers) DO outperform index funds. Who's been arguing against index funds? The only thing most have been arguing over here is your dogma, seeing everything in black/white terms.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
Quote:
. . . you guys wanted to argue against index funds in favor of actively managed funds because some say actively managed funds outperform index funds.

Not in this thread, and not in any of the other threads on investing that you've started.

If you have any evidence to the contrary, please present it. If not, please stop accusing us of doing things we aren't doing.

FWIW, I do recall that there were some arguing in favour of actively managed funds in a since deleted thread.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Exactly. But I am most impressed that General seems to know more about the evidence in the Ventura case than the judge, jury and witnesses did.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On Aug 4, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
You've completely missed the point once again. This discussion is pointless.

I hate when I do that.

Sorry.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On Aug 4, 2014, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:

Some actively managed funds (and fund managers) DO outperform index funds.

Rarely do they do it long-term, however (whatever long-term is).
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
That courtroom isn't about the truth, it's about making the lawyers rich.

This is about as insightful and accurate as saying something like, "Magic isn't about entertaining people. It's about learning how to do tricks. Anyone can go on Youtube for a day and become a magician." Yes, lawyers get paid a good hourly rate. So do doctors. So do magicians. So do baseball players.

Quote:
Plenty of people been falsely convicted by a jury and later found innocent through DNA testing and plenty of guilty people walk free because they have money or are or have been in positions of power.

Mistakes happen in every field. Patients die in surgery. Magicians drop cards. Guilty people are SUPPOSED to go free, btw, because the burden of proof for criminal conviction is so high. If every juror thinks it's 80% likely that a defendant committed a crime, the correct verdict is "Not Guilty."

Quote:
I believe Jesse was shooting his mouth off and got punched out for it. People will sue successfully, even if you were telling the truth, just shut you up. Just because Jesse won his lawsuit doesn't mean that what Chris Kyle said wasn't true.

...and just because you believe him doesn't mean what he said WAS true.
Quote:
I believe Chris punched out Jesse and I don't believe Chris would just eat his rice krispies one morning and say "HEY! Let's just go punch Jesse Ventura out just for no reason! Just for kicks!" Things just don't work that way.

This is rather typical of your black or white thinking. I agree with you that he probably had a reason. That doesn't mean that the reason was what he said it was. Do you think Jesse Ventura, a former Navy Seal who values his ongoing relationship with military members, woke up one morning and said, "I'm glad some of those guys died"? Is that how the world works?

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Not in this thread, and not in any of the other threads on investing that you've started.

FWIW, I do recall that there were some arguing in favour of actively managed funds in a since deleted thread.

I must have missed that one.

Too bad it was deleted; I'd have liked to have seen it.

Thanks, b.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
Quote:
That courtroom isn't about the truth, it's about making the lawyers rich.

This is about as insightful and accurate as saying something like, "Magic isn't about entertaining people. It's about learning how to do tricks. Anyone can go on Youtube for a day and become a magician." Yes, lawyers get paid a good hourly rate. So do doctors. So do magicians. So do baseball players.

So do active fund managers.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Some actively managed funds (and fund managers) DO outperform index funds.

Rarely do they do it long-term, however (whatever long-term is).

Clearly.

S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On Aug 3, 2014, General_Magician wrote:
Here are some core principles of Benjamin Graham that are valid today as they were during his lifetime:

1) A stock is not just a ticker symbol or an electronic blip; it is an ownership interest in an actual business, with an underlying value that does not depend on its share price.

2) The market is a pendulum that forever swings between unsustainable optimism (which makes stocks too expensive) and unjustified pessimism (which makes stocks too cheap). The intelligent investor is a realist who sells to optimists and buys from pessimists.

3) The future value of every investment is a function of its present price. The higher the price you pay, the lower your return will be.

4) No matter how careful you are, the one risk no investor can ever eliminate is the risk of being wrong. Only by insisting on what is called a "Margin of Safety" which is never overpaying, no matter how exciting an investment seems to be- can you minimize your odds of error.

And the most important lesson of all:

5) The secret to your financial success is inside yourself. If you become a critical thinker who takes no Wall Street "fact" on faith, and you invest with patient confidence, you can take steady advantage of even the worst bear markets. By developing your discipline and courage, you can refuse to let other people's mood swings govern your financial destiny. In the end, how your investments behave is much less important than how you behave.

You can see some life lessons in Benjamin Graham's teachings.

These all sound like investing lessons. How do they apply to life more generally?
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Quote:
“When the enemy of my enemy is willing to use plasma weapons inside a hotel, I think I can do better than stupid aphorisms, General.
-Captain Kevyn Andreyasn”

― Howard Tayler, Resident Mad Scientist
w_s_anderson
View Profile
Inner circle
The United States
1226 Posts

Profile of w_s_anderson
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I must have missed that one.

Too bad it was deleted; I'd have liked to have seen it.

Thanks, b.

I think it was me.....There were a lot of "half-truths" being told as financial gospel regarding index funds and managed funds. If I remember right I was just playing devils advocate and it didn't set well with some I guess. I don't know why it got deleted though, at that time it was a pretty benign thread.

Well, I think it was me that Balducci was referring to.
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

I didn't take your opinions the wrong way Anderson. You are entitled to your opinions. I disagree with you in that managed funds provide a better return on investment in the long term. Based on what I have reading, in the long term they do not and it makes sense why they don't. Mainly because the cost savings of index funds add up over time and that fund managers change often with many actively managed fund which means the successful fund manager could get hired out by a new company plus the trading costs associated with actively managed funds in addition to it's higher costs. So, the cost savings, really begin to add up and make money themselves in addition to the savings given that those savings are invested.

Costs generally stay the same with funds, but not managers, unless of course, it's an index fund, which is no manager. And on top of that, the first thing an investor should look at when looking at mutual funds is cost, given that cost rarely ever changes and if it does, it most likely would be going up rather than down in cost. But manager do change and their is no guarantee that the next manager will be as good or bad as the worst, but this is something you don't have to worry about with index funds when it comes to managers given that they don't have any managers at all.

And not to get off topic, I will believe Chris Kyle because one he is a fellow Iraq and Afghan Vet and I don't turn my back on my fellow vets. I'll take his word over that clown Jesse Ventura any day. Here is an a video from one of Chris Kyle's Navy SEAL room mates and he simply can't understand why the American judicial system could come up with a verdict like that. He seems surprised and shocked, but I am personally not surprised or shocked at all:

http://foxnewsinsider.com/2014/07/30/chr......-verdict

Quote:
Ben Smith, Kyle's roommate during SEAL training, still disputes that his friend lied about the confrontation, which occurred at a memorial service for a SEAL who had been killed when he jumped on a grenade.

Smith said he's having trouble "grasping" how the American judicial system could come up with a verdict like this, recalling that Kyle had told him about the confrontation with Ventura.

"He was running his mouth and saying some really vile stuff, saying we should lose more men, more heroes, more guys out there who were fighting the fight. Is that not almost treasonous? Like you're anti-American, saying we should lose? [Chris] said 'you say that again, I'm going to pop you in the -- I'm going to get ya.' And he did and he came over and did it," said Smith.

Brian Kilmeade asked if the verdict may have been different if Kyle had been here to testify in his own defense.

Smith believes it would have made a "huge difference," recalling that Kyle always told the truth "no matter how hard it was."

Jesse Ventura's lawsuit and the verdict is nothing more than just rubbing more salt in wounds that Jesse himself knows nothing about. The link also has an interview of Chris Kyles fellow Navy SEAL room mate.

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Life Lessons From "The Intelligent Investor" (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL