The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Can you be too young (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Sackninja
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of Sackninja
So I've been browsing through this forum for a quite a while. I didn't see any posts on this subject recently so I thought I would post this. Can you be too young to busk. I've never performed magic for any money before, mainly as I'm 14. Would you say that 14 is too young to busk, or (if accompanied by an adult) do you think it would be okay.

Thank you very much for your answers in advanace. Smile
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Accompanied, yes. Solo, no.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
silvercup
View Profile
Loyal user
223 Posts

Profile of silvercup
I'd say it would depend on where you work.
Ever go to a public park alone?
Yes?
Then why not bust out a few shows?
Sackninja
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of Sackninja
Thank you both for your replies. I was pretty much thinking what dave said myself. Just wanted to see a few opinions.
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
I'm with Dave, not alone but with an adult is fine
Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

I reject your reality & substitute my own

http://www.Scho-Lan.com
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I was 13, almost 14, when I did my first "big" show on October 24, 1945. I had "put together" a 40 minute program, and had the unmitigated guts to book the local Jr. High School, on a percentage deal. I made $26. --In "today's money, that would be betwen $250 and $300! Looking back, I was grossly overpaid! But,it got me excellent

publicity in my home town (population 14,000) and for the rest of my high school days, I was kept busy at $10 to $20 a show, while my buddies were bagging groceries at @.50/hour!

I mention this because it would most likely be just a bit difficult for a 14 year old to busk.

Professional buskers can make good money, but they need to have a commercial show, and know how to "sell" it to perfect strangers. IT'S NOT EASY!!!
They also need to know how to pick a spot, how to gather a crowd, how to entertain them so they stay for your show, and also HOW TO GET THE MONEY!!!

I have noticed some of your posts. You seem to be "somewhat" mature for your age, but it takes more than that to be a busker!

Feel free to PM me, perhaps I can help advise you.

Dick

P.S. I just returned from FAB Magic's four day "convention" in Colon, Michigan. I did 20 minutes on one of the shows, lectured, and judged one of the teen contests. (It took me a week, when I got home, to rest up!) I'm retired after almost 50 years of doing school assembly shows all over the U.S. It would be a good idea to talk this over with your parents, before you PM!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Ado
View Profile
Inner circle
New York City
1033 Posts

Profile of Ado
Check whether the local legislation requires a minimum age for busking.
Also, since you're a minor, ask your parents for authorisation too.

P!
Sackninja
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of Sackninja
Dick, I wish I could get a gig for 300 dollars now. Smile I have done some research into busking in ireland and it seems there are pretty much no restrictions. If you want to busk go out and do it seems to be the legislation at least with music acts. (Can't find anything to do with magic or other acts)

I should have said that I almost definitly won't busk this year, the end of summer is too close and I wouldn't do it during the school year. I will probably spend the school year putting togther a nice show and maybe will get out earlier in the summer next year. Thank you all for your replies.

On another note, what kind of routines woud you recommend busking without a table? I'm currently consdiering buying fiber optics extended, I have some card tricks I'm thinking of and I was also thinking a ring and string routine and a sponge balls routine could play well. Not really sure of what else.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Well, if I insert an apostrophe between the O and the S in my name, I could probably be able to "survive" in Dublin!!!

I'll PM you at my first opportunity. Perhaps I can make a few suggestions. I presented a school assembly program for 50 years (+/-). School assemblies IMHO are "close" to busking!!!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
RobbinMarksMagic
View Profile
New user
Ohio
28 Posts

Profile of RobbinMarksMagic
Kid's make bank on the street! I have seen it.
"Money is how people without talent keep score."
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
blue dragon magic
View Profile
New user
41 Posts

Profile of blue dragon magic
As far as I know you cant be too young in fact while street performing at venice beach California an 8 year old set up to play the violin next to me first I couldn't compete with the sound second he wasn't very good but because of the young factor or cute factor I was upstaged he made more hat because of his age. it can work in your favor but if too young I suggest a parent to be with you because you can meet all kinds out there and all kinds of situations you might not be able to handle at a young age
EVILDAN
View Profile
Inner circle
1279 Posts

Profile of EVILDAN
In my area there's a young kid, that when I first saw him, must have been about 9 or 10 years old. He played electric guitar. His dad would help him set up his pitch and then watch from the sidelines as his son belted out classic rock and roll on a single electric guitar. The kid was packing money in the bucket in front of him.

I thought about this. Most musicians that I see rarely have money in their instrument case. Mostly change and the dollar or two which most likely is seed money. So, why does this kid get so much?

1. The kid is young and he's got chops. He can play.
2. The kid can play and he's playing to a certain demographic. He's not playing current songs. He's playing classic rock. This is "grown up" music. Grown up in the sense that those people that grew up with that music, have now grown up themselves and have jobs. Those are the same people with money in their pocket and are on vacation in this location. They are the one's that played air guitar to these songs when THEY were kids or if they had a guitar, wished that they can play these songs as good as this kid. Looking at this young kid, they probably realize if they practiced more, they probably could have. But...at the end of the night, the kid is good. Kudos to the kid. Thanks for bringing me back to when I was a kid. Here's some money.

At least, that's how I see it playing around in my head based on my own experience and sitting around watching the kid and listening to comments that people have when he plays.

So, how young is too young to busk?

I'd say age is not a factor as long as you have the chops.
by EVILDAN....
"The Coin Board Book" - moves and routines with the coin panel board. - http://www.lybrary.com/the-coin-board-book-p-827955.html
"SLASHER - A Horror Whodunnit" - a bizarre close-up routine based on Bob Neale's "Sole Survivor."
PM me for more info.
"Zombie Town" - a packet effect about how a small town turned into zombies. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nzJhcoJtyOM
MagiCol
View Profile
Special user
Dargaville, New Zealand
929 Posts

Profile of MagiCol
EVILDAN: I like your thinking about playing music to suit the payers...
The presentation makes the magic.
EVILDAN
View Profile
Inner circle
1279 Posts

Profile of EVILDAN
MagiCol: That wasn't my thinking. That's just what I observed. I'm thinking this kid or his father thought it out. Or, maybe they just got lucky. Either way, he was raking in the cash. I even tossed a few bucks his way because I wish I had a fraction of the musical talent he had, and wished I could be playing the songs he was.
by EVILDAN....
"The Coin Board Book" - moves and routines with the coin panel board. - http://www.lybrary.com/the-coin-board-book-p-827955.html
"SLASHER - A Horror Whodunnit" - a bizarre close-up routine based on Bob Neale's "Sole Survivor."
PM me for more info.
"Zombie Town" - a packet effect about how a small town turned into zombies. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nzJhcoJtyOM
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Can you be too young (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL