The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » What are these cool coin items I have here? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Mitch
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto, Canada
157 Posts

Profile of Mitch
I just bought a nice lot of gaffed coins - some are pretty cool but there are a few I have not seen before so maybe someone can help?

1. Click here for a photo of the coins:
[expired link]

There are two coins. Both have a half dollar on one side and chinese coin on the other and a hole in the middle but one of them also has the "middle" of the half dollar attached on the half dollar side (you really need to see the photo). When you place both coins half dollar side up and fit the "middle" bit into the "normal" chinese/half dollar coin it appears as if you have two normal half dollars (no holes). Now, by simply flipping the coins over and separating them you now have two chinese coins with holes in the middle. It is really quite impressive. Now...what is this? Is it something in and of itself or are there other coins that are involved?

2. Click here for photo:

[expired link]
There are three silver cups - the bases of the cups are half dollar size. The inside bottom of the cups are mirrors. There are two gaffed half dollars that come with this. Regular half dollars one side, mirrors (to match the inside of the cups) on the other. These coins are magnetic and will stick to the inside of the cups (so you can show the cup empty and then produce a coin from it. What is this?

3. Click here for photo:
[expired link]

There are 5 coins. Two half dollars with most of the face cut out and a shim inside. One coin that has a half on one side and U.K. half penny on the other. One regular U.K. half penny and one magnetic U.K. half penny. All of the U.K. half pennies fit into the faces of the half dollars..including the one with the half penny on one side and the half face on the other. Now...what is this...are they all related?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Mitch
Mitch Solway
Dave Le Fevre
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1651 Posts

Profile of Dave Le Fevre
The second one is an effect that I saw performed three days ago at my conjuring society. I don't know the name of it, but I could find out if nobody else here knows.

But I'm sure that someone here will know it.

And it's a nice effect, by the way.

Dave
The Ozzy Osbourne of the 34x27
neves710
View Profile
New user
99 Posts

Profile of neves710
The first picture is a trick called opium coins. If i spelled that right. Its spelled like the drug. You can use it to show to halves and change them into 2 chinese coins or you can do a cool double penetration with a cig. And then at the end change them to chinese coins. Hope this helps. Smile
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3028 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
The second picture is a gaffed set of cups that Al Cohen's (now out of business) shop sold at one time.

There is a routine using one of those cups in Doug Brewer's book "The Unexpected Visitor". Doug's cup used quarters instead of halfs.

Here is an excerpt from my review of his book regarding that routine:

"Coin routine #9: “The After Dinner Trick”. A small cup containing 4 quarters is shown. The quarters are dumped out and replaced. One quarter is invisibly taken from the cup, which instantly becomes visible. This is repeated for the second quarter. The third quarter is pushed up through the table, into the cup (and shown), then is invisibly extracted again. The finale occurs when the four quarters are placed in a pocket, and a dollar bill is dumped out of the cup!

This routine is best suited for an informal situation where you are seated at a table. You do need to use your lap, and you do need a specially made gaffed cup and coin. Doug gives the reference where to purchase the cup and coin. The gaffed props do much of the hard work for you. Doug mixes in a bit of sleight of hand and comes up with a nice little routine. I don’t have one of these cups so I was unable to play with the routine myself to offer much more insight. One thing I did pick up in this routine is Doug’s “Pinch Production” which is a way of revealing an invisible coin has become visible again. It is a useful production to learn."

The last set of coins look similar to the Connie Hayden 2 copper 1 silver gimmick which is a precursor to the Copper/Silver/Brass gimmick.
Click to visit:
thimblerig
View Profile
Loyal user
Bellevue, WA
273 Posts

Profile of thimblerig
Neves,
Who made/makes Opium coins and where could the effect be purchased?
tr
Smile
Mitch
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto, Canada
157 Posts

Profile of Mitch
Thanks guys!

The opium coins as soo cool - I have tried it on a few folks and the transformation blows them away.

Thimblerig...I just did a search on yahoo for opium coins ("opium coins magic") and several dealers show up...here is one link:

http://www.daytonamagic.com/Coin%20Magic/COIN22.htm

I would still really love to know the name of the trick behind door #2 and #3 if anyone has other ideas.

Thanks again!

Mitch
Mitch Solway
wayman
View Profile
Special user
England - Sunderland
587 Posts

Profile of wayman
Mitch

I have a similar set of Cups and Coins like those behind Door #2 called Miracle Cups and Coins

A Friend of mine had Doug Brewer's book "The Unexpected Visitor" mentioned by Dan and it has some good stuff in it.
Russ
View Profile
Regular user
Muskogee, Oklahoma
127 Posts

Profile of Russ
I have a set of the OPIUM COINS but I don't have a routine worked up for them. I don't want to do "hey, want'ta see a cool trick" and do a something through two-half dollars. Then say hey look now they changed to to chinese coins.

How do you guys use these coins?

Russ
"All I Really Need To Know I Learned In Kindergarten" by Robert Fulghum
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6584 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
Thimblerig,

Opium Coins was created by Ronald Dayton. I believe sasco is the manufacturer, and just about any dealer could get it for you.

Scott
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
magic patagonia
View Profile
Special user
570 Posts

Profile of magic patagonia
KirkG
View Profile
Inner circle
1391 Posts

Profile of KirkG
This thread should be moved to secret sessions.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » What are these cool coin items I have here? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL