The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Video prediction question (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Roy
View Profile
Elite user
Israel
483 Posts

Profile of Roy
Is the concept where the mentalist is talking to himself on the screen as a part of a video prediction routine - is that an original idea by Lior Manor?
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13139 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
I know Jim Callahan has used it.

I think,the concept of having a conversation with a filmed/recorded version of yourself goes back to Walt Disney (perhaps earlier).
It was also featured in Jurassic Park, so using the concept in Mentalism is a natural progression, or adaptation of a known concept.
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13139 Posts

Saying what I did above, if a performer, like Lior, has taken the concept and built a signature piece around it, it should be recognized as his signature piece and not be copied.
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of Magical Dimensions
Quote:
On Aug 7, 2014, Tony Iacoviello wrote:
Saying what I did above, if a performer, like Lior, has taken the concept and built a signature piece around it, it should be recognized as his signature piece and not be copied.

Yes, but wouldn't it be hard not to copy? The concept is still the same...a video prediction. This has been done before and I remember downloading 'Home Video Prediction' from Julian Bond a few years ago. It was a good routine, but wasn't for me because it ...... Hey, I'm not going to tell.

If the concept is a prediction on a Video where you talk to yourself, then it may be hard not to overlap. In J im's video, he had numbers, a word and a city thought of. So that would mean that no one else can use numbers, a word or the name of a city. I guess that it would come down to presentation. But darn, it would really have to be an off the wall presentation so that it don't copy what others have done already.

Then again, maybe it comes down to patter...... Who knows...?

I think that this type of routine naturally follows a predetermine path..... "You think of this. You over there think of that. And you guys come up with a what's ya call it.... All done? Great, I am going to play a video and " .......that is the bare bones of the routine. And that would be hard not to copy since that is what the routine is built around.

I always wanted to do this routine but never did.

Now, to be really honest, I did this (in a way) many years ago when VHS tapes were in. You would talk to people in your living room and ask a few questions. Then you kind of forget about it as you turn on the TV set. As everyone watches the boob tube, a surreal thing starts to happen. The people in the TV show starts talking about the questions that you had asked earlier. Not only that, but the answers also. After they are done, they return back to whatever they were doing. I still have the tape somewhere in my stuff.... It was a fun DIY project. I even made a tape of me interacting with the people on TV. They would hand me things through the TV screen and I would hand them things as we talked. Now that might be cool to do. Then again, that would fall into the magic realm and well... We are mentalists and wouldn't be caught doing such a thing.

Best
Ray
Tony Razzano
View Profile
Inner circle
South River, NJ
1583 Posts

Profile of Tony Razzano
Orson Welles did it in the 50s.
Best regards,
<BR>Tony Razzano, Past President, PEA
Winner of the PEA"s Bascom Jones and Bob Haines Awards
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10586 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Quote:
On Aug 7, 2014, Tony Razzano wrote:
Orson Welles did it in the 50s.

*** - you beat me to it. Orson has always been one of my heroes.
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
Lior
View Profile
Inner circle
1823 Posts

Profile of Lior
I have a concept which I do from 1995.
It is very special and has a lot of things
That no one did before that.
I will open another thread in few days about my ideas.
Lior
Talk To The Screen. The best effect for professionals
http://www.theliortouch.com

The Invisble touches , spoon bending, PK combinations
8 loops from Yigal Mesika http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/8161

Penguin Live lecture http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/7645
PEA Dave Lederman Award 2009
PEA Dunninger Award 2001
Life Time Achivmeant IUPA 2016
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13139 Posts

I remembered the Welles film (I think it was for Himber, originally, and Copperfield used it too) but did not remember when it was made.

I'm sure Lior added quite a bit for his presentation, and his name was mentioned in the initial posting. If his performance was used as a model for another performer, I still say it is wrong.
tboehnlein
View Profile
Inner circle
ohio
1777 Posts

Profile of tboehnlein
I also remember Orson doing it on a talk show in the 70's Carson I think.
Lior
View Profile
Inner circle
1823 Posts

Profile of Lior
The first Roy saw a mentalist talk to him self on a screen was when he saw me.

In Israel,we had the first TV show on 1968.
Only one channel.
Until 1983 it was only black and white.
In 1994 we had another channel.

I saw David Voperfiled talking with Orson on the screen doing a card trick.

i have developed something very original.

Maybe I will release my version...
People can buy it and d'ont need to copy it.

lior
Talk To The Screen. The best effect for professionals
http://www.theliortouch.com

The Invisble touches , spoon bending, PK combinations
8 loops from Yigal Mesika http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/8161

Penguin Live lecture http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/7645
PEA Dave Lederman Award 2009
PEA Dunninger Award 2001
Life Time Achivmeant IUPA 2016
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Video prediction question (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL