The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Is an interval in a stage show a good idea? (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

seamagu
View Profile
Special user
853 Posts

Profile of seamagu
Hi all,

Just looking to tap into your collective wisdom.

I have a stage show coming up in a few weeks.

It will be about 40 mins to an hour. Do you think a 5 minute interval in the middle is a good idea? Or, should I just run through the entire set in one go?

Thanks in advance,

Sea
I love post its Smile
zinser
View Profile
New user
38 Posts

Profile of zinser
Do the whole thing in one go. You only need an interval if you are doing a very long show, say two hours. And usually in a theatre. You will lose the momentum if you have a break in a 40 minute to an hour show.
seamagu
View Profile
Special user
853 Posts

Profile of seamagu
Great, thanks for that,

Regards,

Sea
I love post its Smile
emptysafe
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of emptysafe
I'm just revisiting Derren's Evening of wonders. And there is an interval. Both for relaxing and collecting audience's notes.
If you don't want to miss out what's happening on cafe & magic videos...check this:
http://magicdigest.herokuapp.com/
seamagu
View Profile
Special user
853 Posts

Profile of seamagu
Yeah, I have a drawing duplication at the end and I need about 20 or so audience members to draw a picture on an index card, I could maybe collect them during the interval.
I love post its Smile
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
2876 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
I think you would be ill advised to take an interval. Derren Brown's show's are in theatres and last up to two hours. The TV screenings are only edited highlights, not the full show.
phillsmiff
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1614 Posts

Profile of phillsmiff
For a 40 minute show you will kill the momentum of the show with an interval. If you need things drawn or written for a large DD or Q&A, for that sized show it is worth engineering a way to have this done at the beginning of the show.

There are a few reasons to have an interval, and they are largely to accommodate people's difficulties remaining still for longer periods - need to wee, want to get a drink, have a smoke, get up and stretch their legs etc, that simply aren't pressing for a shorter show. The venue might like it if you give people the chance to go and buy another round of drinks, but when you are trying to get the show going again after ten minutes and half the audience are in the bar then you might regret it.

Just my thoughts of course.

Phill
-+: https://www.mythologycodex.com :+-

A collection of incredible jaw-dropping mentalism, now available.
MrRyanD
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of MrRyanD
I had a stage show at the start of this year. It was a 2 man show so we had an interval to split the acts up. I wouldn't personally have an interlude for a 40min - 1 hour set. But how about getting the audience to do their drawing on the index card as they enter for the show, or come to pass them out whilst you do an effect at the beginning and come back to them at the end?
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9311 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Is there a reason for an interval? If not I too would say no, especially for such a short show. It will ruin momentum and unless it is a longer 90 minute or two hour show, or two distinct and separate acts, or if there is a purpose such as set changes, major wardrobe/costume change, selling concessions or merchandising, or to purposely breakup the show, I would stay away from it in such a short show.
seamagu
View Profile
Special user
853 Posts

Profile of seamagu
Great advice here guys, appreciate it,

Thanks,

Sea
I love post its Smile
C.J.
View Profile
Inner circle
There's a lotta rambling in my
2367 Posts

Profile of C.J.
Depending on your stagecraft and pacing, audience attention can be expected for between 30 and 60 minutes for most performers, and can be reasonably pushed to 90 minutes. Therefore, you'll notice that most stage shows (be they magic or theatre plays) only tend to break for an interval if both sides of the show will be 45 minutes or more. This is a good rule of thumb, but is dependent on your ability to manipulate the focus, energy and tension of your show. It is hard to pull people back in after an interval, so you need to be at peak performance, AND offer them something worthwhile to come back. But ultimately, an interval isn't just an "I need a wee" break; It is a way of splitting between two acts of a play, so does the "story" you are telling through your mentalism warrant the separation into two chapters? If you use an interval, you want to carefully shape your crescendo into the break, and give people a feeling of suspense that will ensure that DURING the interval, the audience talks about you and the show, and what they are expecting to happen next. If you can't build your act to achieve this, then no interval is better, even if the show runs to 2 hours.
Connor Jacobs - The Thought Sculptor
Mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
Be fondly remembered.
C.J.
View Profile
Inner circle
There's a lotta rambling in my
2367 Posts

Profile of C.J.
Oh, and in response to the specific idea in the OP above, no, 5 minutes is not a good amount of time for an interval, ever. It doesn't give people long enough to DO anything; if there's a queue for the toilet, or someone wants to have a wee AS WELL AS a cigarette, then they won't have time. And ideally, if there's an interval, people will want a bar, and 5 minutes is not enough for people to buy and consume a drink at leisure. An interval should be at least 15 minutes (in my opinion), and if you can't justify letting your audience go for that long (and the ensuing challenge to draw them back into the story), then you have found your answer.
Connor Jacobs - The Thought Sculptor
Mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
Be fondly remembered.
kinesis
View Profile
Inner circle
Scotland, surrounded by
2703 Posts

Profile of kinesis
My last full stage show was 2 x 40 mins with a 20 min interval. At 40mins - 1 hr, I suggest you don't have a break. If you have a good variety of pace, people can kinda catch their breath as it were and won't need a break. Good luck.

Derek
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein

FACEBOOK
Scott Soloff
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia, PA
960 Posts

Profile of Scott Soloff
Quote:
On Aug 8, 2014, seamagu wrote:

It will be about 40 mins to an hour. Do you think a 5 minute interval in the middle is a good idea?

No
'Curiouser and curiouser."
eSamuels
View Profile
Inner circle
3029 Posts

Profile of eSamuels
Intervals (referred to as 'intermission" in North America) are sometimes dictated by the venue in order to sell drinks/concessions.
My last theatre show was 2 X 45 with a 20-minute break (as per the venue contract).

That said, I agree that 40 minutes is way too short a set for a break of any kind. By the time you've gained any kind of momentum, you're taking a break!

I would also suggest using the pre-show (not meant in THAT way) dead-time period to engage the audience, who arrive early, in some activity or procedure (filling out billets, etc.)

e
seamagu
View Profile
Special user
853 Posts

Profile of seamagu
Hi all,

Its pretty clear an interval is not a good idea for my show. I do like the idea of getting billets completed as people arrive early. That idea will actually really help,

Thanks,

Sea
I love post its Smile
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10340 Posts

Profile of saysold1
I agree.

Only break should be of the "leg" variety ....

Good luck.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme- "One of the most versatile and well made utility devices I have ever used. Highly recommended." Bob Cassidy www.SvenPads.com
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
I concur. No interval unless the show stretches towards ninety minutes.
emptysafe
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of emptysafe
Quote:
On Aug 8, 2014, Martin Pulman wrote:
I think you would be ill advised to take an interval. Derren Brown's show's are in theatres and last up to two hours. The TV screenings are only edited highlights, not the full show.

Got it. I thought it was just more than 1 hour since this is how it was televised.
If you don't want to miss out what's happening on cafe & magic videos...check this:
http://magicdigest.herokuapp.com/
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
3667 Posts

Profile of JanForster
Quote:
On Aug 9, 2014, TonyB2009 wrote:
I concur. No interval unless the show stretches towards ninety minutes.

I agree... my full evening show is roughly 120 minutes pure performance with an interval of app. 20 minutes. 40 minutes I would not interrupt, you might have difficulties to get your desired attention back after you got it and built up. And specifically in mentalism you need extreme good qualities as an entertainer if you do not want to die like many do. Then it doesn't matter what and how you do and structure a show. Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Is an interval in a stage show a good idea? (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL