The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Who's been a volunteer for Copperfield (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
The Wicked Mr. Grey
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto, Canada
177 Posts

Profile of The Wicked Mr. Grey
I do agree that Copperfield has immense talent and that he didn't really need to do the Statue of Liberty, the Great Wall or the Grand Canyon and he still would have been the most influential and important illusionist of our time.

But I think that Copperfield is also an extremely good and keen business man who knows what a good business decision is. I don't think that he did those particular illusions to prove that he could, but rather, he did them because he knew that they would create legend. I mean how many people truly know Copperfield for his "13" or his Fearson Sawing in Half. Let's face it... not many. Magicians, hardcore fans and some audience members. But say Copperfield to the average Joe and they'll say, "That's the guy who made the Statue of Liberty dissapear."

In creating the legend, Copperfield has ensure that people know him. He is like a living myth. That was, I think, his goal.

Mr. Steve Pellegrino, who has worked for (and maybe still does) Copperfield also confirms this. He said that Copperfield was satisfied with making the Lear Jet Vanish but he realised what legend the SoL would create.

Dorian....

P.S. If I wanted to create legend..... well I'd make the CN Tower dissapear. But that's my idea and no one can use it anymore seeing as I've written it down and expressly said that no-one can use it. HAH.... ooohhh I'm good!!!! Smile
What you have seen this evening was real, though it may have nothing to do with reality.

A Life Among Secrets
NFox
View Profile
Inner circle
I Do Mentalism Now?!
1101 Posts

Profile of NFox
Okay I am going to try and keep this short, becuase all of my posts tend to get long winded:

Impossible: Can you name any illusion that really isn't some form of trumped up, or as you say "over-rated" F/X? Maybe it's just the word F/X that is confusing me. Could you elaborate?

Nick Fox
"Obscuring Reality"- Gone but not forgotten...

FoxIllusions.com
Impossible
View Profile
New user
Long Island, New York
44 Posts

Profile of Impossible
I'll try and make this short also, but it's highly unlikely...lol

First, to Mr. Mindfreak... the word "important" scares me, as there is nothing important about DC. Talented, yes! Professional, yes! But important? Magic would have gone on with or without him, and probably be at the same level that it is right now regardless of DC, since the F/X were created by other people, and he merely was the frontman. And a great frontman at that!
I think the vast majority of people (magicians and laymen alike) forget that DC owes a lot to the naive Doug Henning, star of broadways' "The Magic Show", since chicagos' "The Magic Man" was, well, a "loose based imitation" that capitalized on the genre that Henning created. If someone tried doing an "imitation" of a successful broadway show today, they would be slapped with a law suit faster than the burst of flash paper in a fireplace. Doug Henning could have sued but I'm sure he thought it provoked "negative energy", and would put some "bad karma" in the air. Hmmm, but that's too far off topic for this board, so we'll leave that discussion for another time. By the way, I moved a table for Henning once when I was a 19! It was backstage at a college show in the mid 80's.

In response to NFox, yes, all illusion is sort of a special effect, but there is a difference between special effects (i.e.: adding wind, eiree music, smoke and fog...) and special F/X (i.e.: mandatory glitter curtains, mandatory and excessive black-art, extremely limited camera angles...). There is an undefined point where one crosses the line (in my opinion), such as DC having a PRIEST, a well trusted (in those days...lol) man of the cloth, commenting during the Liberty Vanish. That to me was over-rated, and quite frankly, very BAD TASTE and showed VERY BAD JUDGEMENT. Also it showed a lack of respect for christianity, especially since he is jewish! Also showed a lack of respect for the religious based art of magic! HE SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF THAT! But, it's just my opinion

As for an illusion that doesn't rely on any over-rated F/X, I can name at least a dozen. How about the broom suspension? Take that illusion off of the base, and do it on the floor with a broom that looks like a dirty used broom (without the beautiful Owen's high-gloss finish) and it's pure magic! The effect speaks for itself! Now, take the same illusion, put it back on the base, add the high-gloss sparkling clean broom look, 4 dancers in french maid outfits, a glitter curtain, and although it makes for a great vegas production number, does it really ADD to the illusion? My answer is an unwaivering NO! That to me is making something "over-rated"! But, it's just my opinion.

By the way, with the broom suspension, a TV camera can shoot it from literally any angle, as long as the illusion is performed by a competent magician. Those who rely on restricted camera angles aren't performing magic, but special F/X. It looks like magic, but in reality, it's not. Did you ever wonder why nobody phoned in to the local TV News and said "Hey, the Statue of Liberty is GONE!" That dis-credited the whole effect, and DC as a magician. But I guess you'ld have to be a New Yorker to understand how funny, ridiculous and absurd that illusion was. I have a newspaper clipping that says "Statue Only Gone On TV". Sorry, but to me, and all of New York (at least those with half-a-brain), that's camera trickery. The PRIEST bit was just the icing on the cake that did it for me, especially because the guy has talent! He should be more proud of pushing Project Magic...

Let the "hate" mail begin...LOL
Sincerely,
Matt
"If I've told you once, I've told you a million times... Don't exaggerate!" And as Bill Hallahan requested, I can't put a website address in ANY post, so I'll add it here:
www.MagicAndIllusion.com
Thanks
NFox
View Profile
Inner circle
I Do Mentalism Now?!
1101 Posts

Profile of NFox
Thanks for the clarification, Matt. I totally agree with you. I guess it was just the word F/X that confuddled me. I don't see why anyone should have a problem with most of what you said, seeing as it is the truth. I only hope that more and more people could share your view point, but that is just one man's opinion.

Nick Fox

PS: We should probably try to stay to the real topic, instead of this tangent...but that too is just one man's opinion.
"Obscuring Reality"- Gone but not forgotten...

FoxIllusions.com
spkrosky
View Profile
New user
89 Posts

Profile of spkrosky
Can anyone sum up DC's "post-show assistant speech" as mentioned several times? I don't think that falls under giving away secrets but might offer something to think about for those of us who do have to let audience volunteers in on certain effects. I know when I do it I remind people that "you and I are the only ones who actually know how this trick worked," and "please don't share the secret with others," but I do feel as if we all could learn some finer points from a time-tested performer.
Steve
indridcold
View Profile
Regular user
163 Posts

Profile of indridcold
I am not certain, but from what I have heard it is about keeping the secrets from others to keep the magic alive for people.
dsilverfield
View Profile
Special user
752 Posts

Profile of dsilverfield
Thanks indricold. But does someone know or can attach the whole speach to a post. I am really looking forward to know what the speech is. Also does anyone know whose Idea it is?
magiczak
View Profile
Regular user
Granada Hills, CA
159 Posts

Profile of magiczak
I would also be interested in hearing about the post-speach, as well as any insight into the vanishing to the island thing. (you can PM me)

Thanks,

Zak
**Zak**
dsilverfield
View Profile
Special user
752 Posts

Profile of dsilverfield
Hey looks like everyone is already sold to DC's after show speech so much that they don't even want to say what the speech is.
Come on folks, someone out there sure knows. Pleeeeease tell us.
MichaelKent
View Profile
Special user
559 Posts

Profile of MichaelKent
I won't post the speech here, but it was so cool, it even involved STORY BOARDS!
The Wicked Mr. Grey
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto, Canada
177 Posts

Profile of The Wicked Mr. Grey
You say storyboards and then nothing else?!?!?!? ArGH!!!!! How cruel. Maybe a PM (leaving out any details concerning the effect.)

To Impossible,

I agree with much of what you say. To clarify, by the word important I meant something more along the lines of important in bringing magic to more and more audiences. As for the man of the cloth bit, I do think that it was in rather bad taste, but it was put in there to convince audiences that the Statue did disappear for the people on the platform. I agree that the effect is overrated but the idea of it is cool never the less. Now the real challenge is making a large structure disappear completely from all angles for a bit and then bringing it back. Now THAT WOULD BE IMPRESSIVE!!!!

I'm not sure that you can say that anyone who performs stuff w/ limited camera angles is only performing F/X. Think of many stage effects that require specific setups and so on so that they can work. Are those special effects?! No. But they still are magic. I agree that an effect can't rely almost SOLELY on a camera effect, that is F/X, but unfortunately some effects do rely on SOME camera angles. Take the ridiculous Cig through Coin. Are you going to film that effect from all sides? No. The angles you can shoot if from are limited, but that doesn't make it a bad effect. Anyway.... I think you get the gist of what I'm saying.

Peace,

Dorian Grey
What you have seen this evening was real, though it may have nothing to do with reality.

A Life Among Secrets
dsilverfield
View Profile
Special user
752 Posts

Profile of dsilverfield
You are one cruel person Michael. Pleeeeeeease P.M me with the speech details and I swear I will not tell anyone. (Hope he beleives me...he he he)
RSD
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Ontario
533 Posts

Profile of RSD
The speach warned us of the kind of reaction! We are dealing with it exactly how we are "expected" to....hehe.
dsilverfield
View Profile
Special user
752 Posts

Profile of dsilverfield
Hey come on guys. I am not asking for the method. We just wanna know what he said. that's it. Go on people don't be so cruel. You can trust fellow magicians.
reedrc
View Profile
Inner circle
1351 Posts

Profile of reedrc
Whats the saying? You have to EARN trust... Something like that I don't remember..j/k

I heard David showing blueprints video's and
whatnot of what the 13 audience does not see.
Mostly WRONG infrmation so they run and tell incorrect versions of what really happend onstage. Not sure what he does now tho
Kind Regards

Ryan C. Reed
Founder, Illusion Entertainment

designer, director, theatrical consultant, digital wizard, magic impresario, wonder aficionado, Illusioneer & dream architect.

Instagram
Facebook
IllusionJack
View Profile
Veteran user
Las Vegas, Nevada
376 Posts

Profile of IllusionJack
The people who are involved in "13" do not actually see the illusion from the same perspective as the audience. In fact they don't really get to see what the "effect" of the piece really is. That is, until they go to the speech - where they indeed see a video and some storyboards of the progression of the illusion.

Of course, when they don't know what just happened to them, any explanation just might work... thus the reason why it is such a well kept secret after years of nightly performance with regular random people. Awesome piece!

--Jack Smile
RSD
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Ontario
533 Posts

Profile of RSD
"the borderline "blatent lies" have kept me from becoming a hardcore fan. The "Statue of Liberty", "Great Wall", and "Grand Canyon""

I am confused about this statement. The Great Wall trick really didn't use any special FX or overly blatant camera angles. Why do you include that trick on the list? Yes the other two are "lies" as you call them.
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
It has always been one of my biggest wishes to be on stage with DC. Watching him on TV is what got me into magic. I have been to his show four times and I have never even hit a ball let alone catch one. The first year I was way in the back, so it is understandable. The last three I was front and center. Myabe five is my magic number. I am going to see him in Vegas soon.

Isn't all magic "lies"???? Who really has an empty hat and then magically pulls a rabbit from it? Who can put a silk in their hand do a magical gesture and then truly without lieing have it vanish?
theaterfreak89
View Profile
New user
93 Posts

Profile of theaterfreak89
Well I know we have migrated from the participiation subject but here it goes: A good friend of mine lived in Vegas up until about three years ago. She was a leading assisitant for the Pendragons. Yes, she has performed Metamorphosis with them. She also flew with Copperfield once. She told me that he was extremely nice and that she also had to sign a bunch of paperwork before performing the illusion.
-Nick
"...Now lift it up...over your head..."
WesRay
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of WesRay
I've not seen Copperfield live since '92.

What is this "13" illusion everyone keeps talking about? Is it something he's come up with since Tornado of Fire?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Who's been a volunteer for Copperfield (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.31 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL