The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Who's been a volunteer for Copperfield (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
magicaldj1
View Profile
Regular user
Madison, Wisconsin
122 Posts

Profile of magicaldj1
It was before Tornado of Fire. The first time I saw it was in 1998. He makes 13 audience members disappear.
danchanmagic
View Profile
New user
San Francisco, CA
22 Posts

Profile of danchanmagic
I was pulled up on stage after catching a object thrown, first by Copperfield then buy an audience member. He asked me to name two number then boxers or briefs for the lottery prediction. After which he made a car appear above me while I was squatting and holding a post. The illusion was horrible from my angle but to my friends they were impressed.
magicmanfrank
View Profile
Inner circle
1127 Posts

Profile of magicmanfrank
My wife has also been a member of "13"

=Frank=
The Early Bird may get the Worm, but it's the SECOND Mouse that gets the CHEESE!!!

Frank Thurston

www.FrankThurstonMagic.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Magic-of-Frank-Thurston/116625117910?ref=nf
magicaldj1
View Profile
Regular user
Madison, Wisconsin
122 Posts

Profile of magicaldj1
I helped out when I saw him in Vegas in September. Was sitting at a table in the front row and I was the one who held on to the keys for safekeeping for the prediction box in "Lottery." Got to meet him after the show as well. Was very nice.
Mad Jack
View Profile
Regular user
195 Posts

Profile of Mad Jack
I never helped DC, but I was The Amazing Jonathan's "brother" in his show. We were both performing at Caesar's in the Poconos and his show ended at 11:30pm. He told me and a few friends that his flight wasn't until 4:30 the next morning and that we should go back to his room and hang out, and that's what we did. We hung out with AJ all night and he taught us all some really cool memory stunt and gave us priceless advise. He was (and I believe) still is one of the nicest guys in the biz. It was a night I will never forget.

Mad Jack
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
The last time I went to see D.C., (about 3 or 4 years ago) my friend caught a ball for 13 and immediately handed it over to me. I walked down the aisle and the guy collecting the balls was Homer. We had met several times and he asked me the media/magician question. I answered yes, didn't even think about lying. He asked if I know anyone on David's staff. I didn't want to jinx my chances even more, so I said no, even though I had met him and Chris several times. I went on stage and David grabbed my arm and led me to the other side of the stage to a stool, so I was just an observer. The one thing I will say is when you're on stage with him, you get the feeling that he and his staff OWN you. I really think that if anyone ever went up there thinking they would be cute and act like a jerk, it just wouldn't happen. You do just what David wants you to. I will say even sitting a few feet away, you don't see ANYTHING. However, I knew they were long gone when the audience thought they were still in the box.

As a side note, many years ago, when I was just getting interested in magic, I worked as a stage hand at a theater. This was around '92, '93. D.C. came and I had to sign the agreement. I worked all day putting together various illusions that I would later recognize as the Blueprint illusion and the brick wall prediction.
I was in the back of the house during the show, near the lightboard, but was summoned backstage at the very end, and I got to watch "Snow" from backstage. VERY interesting. It just was so amazing to me that David was merely the frontman. It took 30-40 other people to make the magic happen.
Sam Sandler
View Profile
Inner circle
2487 Posts

Profile of Sam Sandler
I never got to assist DC, but he did clock me in the back of the head and just about knocked me over.

It was in Binghamton, NY. I was with another magician who was invited to the show and brought me with him. After the show, DC came out for autographs in the lobby. I happened to be standing right by the "secret" door that he and his body guards came out, and the first guard went by. I did not see DC, so I stepped backed to look through the door just as DC appeared and, I guess, panicked and put his elbow into my head. I later talked with him and got an autograph.

I, too, agree watching him perform is sheer joy.

sam
sam sandler- America's only full-time DEAF Illusionist
http://www.samsandler.com
http://www.deafinitelymagic.com
Matthew W
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2456 Posts

Profile of Matthew W
Hehe, I would have tried for more than just an autograph if he elbowed me in the head! LOL

Where were the body guards?
-Matt
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
I was one of the people on stage for the Haunted Table bit he did right before The Barkley House Illusion. Fooled the heck out of me. That table floated, and there was NOTHING attached to that thing - up, down, around, or below! It was VERY COOL! I was never asked if I was a Magician...but would have had the good sense to lie about it if I were asked.

My wife used to be a Flight Attendant for American Eagle, and DC was on her flight one time, flying from Dallas/Ft. Worth to Lubbock. She kept all the other passengers away from him and really gave him his privacy. After the flight, DC thanked her and asked if she'd like his autograph. She told him that her husband was a Magician (me) and said that I would really like it. So she gave him one of my biz cards, and he autographed the back of my card...she also gave him another one of my cards, which I'm sure met the circular file right after he got off the plane...since I haven't gotten that "special phone call yet!" lol

I also have the flight record of the flight with his name, seat location, etc. It's pretty cool!
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
A bit off-topic for being onstage with DC, but here's an update on his current set list. I took my car to be inspected today and was chatting with the receptionist, who knows I'm a magician. Her and her husband were in Vegas in September and said they saw David for the 2nd time. 13 and Portal were gone, but an oldie but a goodie was brought back....The Fan! They said the show was just incredible. They also said they were offered free tickets by their concierge to go see Believe in previews but heard it is awful.
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
I always liked The Fan...good illusion to bring back! Personally...I wish he'd bring back The Floating Rose b/c I don't think enough people do that routine. LOL! My favorite was Heaven on the 7th Floor (The Elevator). That's the COOLEST way to enter for your show....way cool!!!
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
You're right, Chris. I love that song he used and would get chills when that shadow slowly descends.
SeanScottMagic
View Profile
Veteran user
325 Posts

Profile of SeanScottMagic
I've done:
13 - was vanished.
Lottery - knelt down under the pedestal and had the car appear on top of me, got to unlock the box.
Sketch Pad - several years ago, my mother did the card rise.

Sean
http://WWW.THEARTOFSEANSCOTT.COM
AVAILABLE EFFECTS:

ROAMING
RISE
RENDER
MODOSU
FACTORY LINE
BANDARIZUMU
KI
MXL
IllusionJack
View Profile
Veteran user
Las Vegas, Nevada
376 Posts

Profile of IllusionJack
Floating Rose is back in the show right now.

--Jack Smile
birms1111
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of birms1111
I work a theatre in which the stage is surrounded on all sides by the audience. I see David does it on a surrounded stage, so it must be possible.
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3640 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
I doubt you ever saw David perform "13" in the round. (Unless on a video.)

I have been backstage with the original equipment for this effect, and with the original presenter.

Blair

P.S. My daughter has performed twice with David on stage (non-stooge) in his "Having My Baby" routine and the inverted cup on the hand in the audience where the mouse/gerbil appears.
birms1111
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of birms1111
Well, yes, it was on video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oERlMGmYS4k
But there are so many audience members behind him, it seems unlikely they would all be in on it.
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
I seriously doubt he plays many places in the round. I challenge anyone to find when he did it, and it wasn't for TV.
Illucifer
View Profile
Inner circle
1390 Posts

Profile of Illucifer
'Thirteen' cannot be performed in the round. Many of the things on the 'Tornado of Fire' special cannot be. It was only for television.
It's all in the reflexes.
sabretooth
View Profile
New user
Santa Cruz, CA
24 Posts

Profile of sabretooth
I had caught one of several things flung out to gather a circle of people around the pillars used to support the big ol' car he produced.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Who's been a volunteer for Copperfield (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.28 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL