The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Craig's CM is featured in a TED Talk (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Matt Pulsar
View Profile
Inner circle
1036 Posts

Profile of Matt Pulsar
I have had many normal folk tell me about this ted talk and how much they liked it. Usually academic types. So it's an effective bit of entertainment. I feel like this display makes it easy to "solve" unless you buy into the idea that she was just picking up on subliminal clues. The problem is that you can watch a video more than once. I think this would go over better lie than taped. But heres what works for him. He has a way of making himself stand out. He is the puzzle magic guy.
Belief Manifests Reality.
Satanic Playing Cards Live on Kickstarter Now...
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/satanicplayingcards/the-satanic-playing-cards
NeilMcCauley
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of NeilMcCauley
As with all mentalism effects, it's vitally important to have (apparently) sound logic behind how the goal is achieved. I don't think the performance in this TED talk fully succeeded in that goal. If he is able to put anything he wants into a NYT crossword puzzle, I think he should have focused on that as the main point of influence on the audience or participant. All it did in his chosen performance was act as secondary (and therefore redundant) prediction. After all, predicting the same outcome twice is no more impressive than doing it once. In fact, it could almost be seen as rubbing it in.

I also don't think he did enough to shroud the actual 'dirty work'. There's much to be said for 'straight line' methodology, as Max Maven puts it, but simply...well, I won't say what he did in case I give away the secret, but having her participate in the way he did wasn't a smart choice. He essentially did a very weak version of what Derren Brown did in a couple of his earlier stage shows: claim that unconscious exposure to earlier stimuli led to the audience/participant following a predetermined and unavoidable path. But it wasn't convincing enough for my taste. It was, in my opinion, an overly glorified pseudo-method for a trick that should have better sold the idea of what it was purporting to do: influence and bring order from chaos.
Syndrome
View Profile
Regular user
CANADIAN IMP
165 Posts

Profile of Syndrome
It was a TED talk. They loved it. He looks like he accomplished what he set out to do. AIDA. I liked it.
Live well,
Laugh often,
Love always.

"Illusion is the first of all pleasures." -Voltaire (1694-1778)
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17675 Posts

Profile of Slim King
He lied to the audience and it doesn't take much lying to see that there might be a lot of lying. He told them he forgot the pen yet in the paper he said it's OK to leave it blank ...meaning he DIDN"T forget the pen ... which now places ANYTHING he says in doubt.
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
C.J.
View Profile
Inner circle
There's a lotta rambling in my
2366 Posts

Profile of C.J.
Quote:
On Aug 19, 2014, Slim King wrote:
He lied to the audience and it doesn't take much lying to see that there might be a lot of lying. He told them he forgot the pen yet in the paper he said it's OK to leave it blank ...meaning he DIDN"T forget the pen ... which now places ANYTHING he says in doubt.

But to be fair, he also presented it as a puzzle, so I don't think audience doubt is something he is at all concerned about. As I said, the premise irked me, but the presentation wasn't bad, and was consistent with his premise. Sure, it can be reverse-engineered, but that seems to be his point in this talk. And to be fair, the *actual* workings still can't be easily guessed. It's just sad that the audience seemed so disconnected until the last couple of minutes.
Connor Jacobs - The Thought Sculptor
Mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
Be fondly remembered.
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10630 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Purely as a piece of entertainment I thought that this was the weakest use of CM that I've yet seen.

Yes it was a TED talk - lots of sophisticated and brainy people who are drinking the collective Kool Aid of tech and a well done PowerPoint. I've seen many of them and some are fantastic and others call flat. This one taught the audience nothing IMO - it was a poor piece of mentalism, a weak demonstration of magic, and a cute but utterly forgettable "puzzle" at best.

Now granted many of us feign teaching concepts of influence, body language etc in our own work. But the routine needs to be good and this one was not.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of premium, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Craig's CM is featured in a TED Talk (4 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL