The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Source for cups? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
deerbourne
View Profile
Regular user
Centennial, CO
174 Posts

Profile of deerbourne
Is anyone making re-creation cups styled like the originals shown by Bob Reid in Michael Ammar's Cups and Balls videos?

I've got an beginner's aluminium set but I work in a medieval re-creation group. I'd hate to have to turn my own cups, although I'm prepared to do so.

Deerbourne
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24252 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
There are a couple of sets that are really nice.

Check out the Bosco cups from Harries magic in Sweden.

Also the Johnny Paul cups by Pete Biro, from Stevens Magic Emporium.

The Phoenix Cups, although they have some limitations, are fairly close to what was used in the old days. They are tough and durable.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
deerbourne
View Profile
Regular user
Centennial, CO
174 Posts

Profile of deerbourne
Thanks Bill!

They are very close to what I am looking for. Although I need wood, I may get a set of Bosco cups on payday to get used to the size.

Deerbourne
Swami Bill
View Profile
Regular user
Le Monde
135 Posts

Profile of Swami Bill
Isn't there a set of leather cups out there somewhere? Would those work?

- yet another Bill
That's MISTER Swami Bill to you.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24252 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2004-01-20 22:38, deerbourne wrote:
Thanks Bill!

They are very close to what I am looking for. Although I need wood, I may get a set of Bosco cups on payday to get used to the size.

Deerbourne

Although one would think that wood would be more appropriate for cups and balls medieval style, this is not the case. Neither is leather.

The earliest written description of an actual cup is in Hocus Pocus, Jr. The author, probably William Vincent, states that the cups should be made "of brasse or crooked lane plate ... with the bottome set a little within the cup."

While there is a certain romance about using a wooden cup, it is probably not actually traditional.

The leather cups work very well, but you must be careful not to jam them together.

The people who produced the cups refer to them as not having a lip, because that is the way that the cups specified in Hocus Pocus Junior were made. This is not exactly true. The woodcuts in all of the editions of HPJ that I have photocopies of all show a rolled or pressed rim to the cup. I would normally call this a "lip." From correspondence with some of the people involved in the production/release of the cup, I have gotten the distinct impression that they were referring to what I would call "the shoulder bead," which is somewhat up the side of the cup. This is not present in any of the drawings from HPJ.

Nor is the shoulder bead present in any of the engravings, paintings or drawings featured in Kurt Volkmann's Book The Oldest Deception; however, in the last engraving in the book, one by van der Heiden (1565), the recessed bottom of the cup is quite plainly present.

The leather cups do not have this recessed bottom. It would not have been impossible or even difficult to put such a recessed bottom on the leather cups. A different type of seaming style would have provided this.

When I was performing at the Texas Renaissance Festival, I used a leather Chop Chop cup which was made for me by one of our leather workers. He made six of them for me. I still have a couple which I use on occasion.

I would say that if you are going to use a cup with a shoulder bead, you might as well go ahead and use the Bosco cups, anyway. The shoulder bead is definitely not period, while the metal cup probably is.

Incidentally, the cups mentioned in Scot were described as "salt cellar covers."
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Frank Tougas
View Profile
Inner circle
Minneapolis, MN
1712 Posts

Profile of Frank Tougas
Excellent source material Bill, I would not have guessed the original cups would have been so close to what we continue to use today - metal with recessed bottom.

I have always been of the belief that cups were far too shiny for the purpose of fooling. If one is not careful, it is like performing in front of a mirror. A neatly palmed ball could be reflected in your own props.

This is one of the reasons I have thought about using wooden cups. Although I have seen copper cups that have taken on a rich brown appearance through time. I prefer this to the pristine, just off the shelf sparkling cups so many seem fond of.
Frank Tougas The Twin Cities Most "Kid Experienced" Children's Performer :"Creating Positive Memories...One Smile at a Time"
drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
Frank,

Interesting point about the reflections. I suppose the Sherwood cups with the engraving would not have that problem so much. Perhaps that will help me talk myself into buying a set.

Yours,

Paul
deerbourne
View Profile
Regular user
Centennial, CO
174 Posts

Profile of deerbourne
Bill,

*Doh* I had decided on wood before I read a little more in detail. I guess that's what I get for jumping to conclusions!

I was also wondering about the shoulder on these cups. It seems a cup without a shoulder would make it much more difficult to hide the nature of the act from the spectators.

Deerbourne
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24252 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
It actually wouldn't if you didn't nest the cups too heavily. However, as someone who participated in historical recreations of various types for about 30 years, let me point out that sometimes it is better to "bend" the presentation a little than it is to stick to absolute accuracy.

For example, are you going to use cork balls about the size of a nutmeg? There are better choices.

Actually, even with the shoulder, the Phoenix cups look to me to be closer to the cups in HPJ than the Harries Bosco cups. But I would not have any compunction about using the Bosco cups. Even though they are not totally accurate, they LOOK old. So once they have started to tarnish, I think your audiences will accept them.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

deerbourne
View Profile
Regular user
Centennial, CO
174 Posts

Profile of deerbourne
Quote:
On 2004-01-23 02:14, Bill Palmer wrote:
However, as someone who participated in historical recreations of various types for about 30 years, let me point out that sometimes it is better to "bend" the presentation a little than it is to stick to absolute accuracy.

No no, I completely agree with bending the presentation. I'm just trying to balance performance and presentation with my budget. The phoenix cups are a bit pricey for me right now.

Even the Bosco cups will have to wait for a couple of paychecks.

Thanks Bill!

Deerbourne
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
Pheonix B cups are pretty cheap. I have a set and when they are laying on their sides you can smack them hard with the iron wood wand and they ring like a loud bell. Thick hard copper. If there were an extra strong cup made for the military, it would be these. I have beaten mine without mercy and not a mark on the cups or wand. They are seconds, so if you can get over the imperfections, they will last for years. E-mail Tom at Seattle Magic, or bid on ebay when they come up.
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
KirkG
View Profile
Inner circle
1391 Posts

Profile of KirkG
While the Pheonix cups are cheap, I would recommend the Penguin cups over those. They are readily available for $100.00 and you can de-laquer them and tarnish them quickly. They will stack better than the Pheonix cups(don't wobble) and will last forever with reasonable care. Just remember, should you get a set that doesn't stack well, return them without delay for a correct set.

Kirk
Darck Ninja
View Profile
New user
SLC-UTAH
76 Posts

Profile of Darck Ninja
As usual Bill seems to blow us away with his towering intellect!
And I would recommend going with a set of aluminum cups, and just throwing them into the bottom of a fire when it begins to die down. let it make burn marks on them. and you'll notice that it will "Warp" the colors a bit. This adds to the authentical "feel". It doesn't necessarily mean its truly authentic, but it feels so. That is whats important. You are doing the shows for the spectators.
Oh, and the burn marks will rub off on you. This also adds to the authentic feel. You wouldn't be so clean in those days, and having soot on your hands only adds to the effect. IMHO.
"The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. He who does not know it and can no longer wonder, is as good as dead, and his eyes are dimmed." Einstein
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24252 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Okay cups lovers, it's time to drool!

I have put photos of my collection on line, including the new "Monster Cups" that I just got from Auke van Dokkum.

Take a look at the Stubby cups, which I have had for over 40 years, and the Johnny Paul cups. They are both very good for this kind of presentation.

King Star Dog is right about the Phoenix cups. They actually look very much like the cups in Hocus Pocus Junior also.

Go to http://www.hocuspocusjr.com/cups.htm.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Tom Frank
View Profile
V.I.P.
industrial Strength Magic
493 Posts

Profile of Tom Frank
Mr. Palmer, nice collection! I'm glad there are other cup junkies out there like yourself, Michael Edwards & J.P. Jackson. I don't feel so lonely. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and photo's. And thanks for being kind with regard to my own humble offering.

Cups and Balls ROCK!

Sincerely,

Tom Frank Smile
what
View Profile
Special user
Lehi, UT, USA
643 Posts

Profile of what
That was a very educational tour. Thanks for sharing.

Mike
Magic is fun!!!
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24252 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I am always glad to share views of my toys with other connoisseiurs.

Feel free to drop by any of my web sites at any time.

They are open 24/7
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

DAK
View Profile
Regular user
UK
135 Posts

Profile of DAK
What a collection! Wow makes my collection of four sets seem small. (Great, I can tell my wife that my collection is not that large now!)
WOW those van Dokum Jumbos are amazing! You could have a baby as a final load!
Will you actually perform with them? My Gazzo cups are heavy enough for me!

Kindest Regards

DAK
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24252 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I'm working on a routine right now. They are very difficult to handle if you consider them regular cups. However, if you think about other routines with large objects, certain ideas become clear.

I'm using everything that I know to come up with answers.

I was considering a baby, but it makes the routine take too long. I don't know any audience that will sit still for 9 months.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Tom Frank
View Profile
V.I.P.
industrial Strength Magic
493 Posts

Profile of Tom Frank
We just had a cups and balls session at my magic shop Saturday night. Master Payne was the highlight for me. He educated us all with his performance. We discussed styles of cups and this sort of nonsense along with practical technical advice. It was a rocking night. One of the attendees brought along his Brett Sherwood Silver/Gold Engraved Cups. I got light headed.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Source for cups? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL