The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Price for Sonata by Tamariz? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
JBSmith1978
View Profile
Veteran user
NY
389 Posts

Profile of JBSmith1978
Quote:
On Aug 29, 2014, Tim Cavendish wrote:
Quote:
On Aug 29, 2014, robvh wrote:
I'm not keen on reprints and ebooks. We spend a lot of money on magic
props and books and it's nice to be able to get something back from it
when "you hang up your top hat" (or for the widows).

I'm keen on anything that helps more people do more thoughtful magic.

I own the Frakson edition of The Magic Way, yet I celebrate the Hermetic
Press release.

Totally agree with this.

Maybe the Café or elsewhere can promote and host a forum for constructive
criticism of performances. Have people do public domain effects in their
own way. I find it hard to believe people would want their personal stuff
critiqued.

If Kaps had a Midas Touch, perhaps that should be the standard to meet.

On a general book rant: Every time I get a non-digital book I cringe. My collection is
getting to the point of the absurd. Whenever a book is reprinted that I'd like to read
or reread(happens many times)and doesn't have a digital analog I battle on whether to
nab it or not. Which is a shame.

I know many bibliophiles are going to disagree with me on this. I was once in their shoes.
Doesn't mean they'll follow the same course. I just hope they do. For purely personal reasons.

Best,
Jed
theghostcompany
View Profile
New user
Switzerland
82 Posts

Profile of theghostcompany
For me it's a matter of practicality as well. While I have hundreds of books and enjoy the experience of reading them, it is simply a fact that I rarely have the time anymore to quietly sit at the fireplace, have a glass of nice wine and enjoy the evening. Between working too long hours, trying to live up to the expectations of a wife and a child and being away on business, it's usually during travels or the odd hour in random places that I manage to squeeze in some reading time. Which gives digital editions a huge advantage, as they are always available.

As a consequence I buy a lot of digital editions of books I already have as printed books - or sometimes even scan my own books for reading on the tablet.

(On a side note, as I assume that I am not alone with this experience, it makes me wonder why only so few publishers offer both versions.)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Price for Sonata by Tamariz? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL