We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » One handed tricks that are highly visual... (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8363 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Aug 14, 2014, randyburtis wrote:
I have a client that wants to train drivers to do magic for special needs kids that they are driving them. It has to be easy to learn and visual... What tricks come to your mind...

I thought of stiff rope...drooping flower...ball to square....

I have worked for every conceivable "type" of special needs youngsters over a 50 year period.

Just doing TRICKS will not entertain them. It's the PRESENTATION, NOT THE TRICK!!!

MAGIC IS NOT INHERENTLY ENTERTAINING!!!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8363 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
OK! I guess that I'll have to try harder!
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco & Los Angeles California
3286 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Quote:
On Aug 20, 2014, Dick Oslund wrote:

I have worked for every conceivable "type" of special needs youngsters over a 50 year period.

MAGIC IS NOT INHERENTLY ENTERTAINING!!!

Dick; since we are finished talking about the safety of doing magic tricks while driving a bus, I can tell you, to me Magic is inherently entertaining!!!

I'm a special needs kid; my special needs consist of obtaining magic from companies like, Promystic, Collectors Workshop, Smokey Mountain Magic and Makime.

During the week, I can practice with magic for hours on end and entertain myself endlessly.

Then on Saturdays and Sundays, I go to children's houses on someone's birthday to do my show and everyone in the house is excited to see me; then after I'm done performing, I stay and have birthday cake with the kids and somewhere along the line, one of the kids parents gives me money... Dick, I gotta tell you... I love what I do...
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4620 Posts

Profile of Potty the Pirate
What about an imaginary puppet? Or a stuffed toy hanging in the cab. No attempt at venting, but just a few funny exchanges between the driver and his little pal, talking about the kids, etc. The puppet could "whisper" in the driver's ear. Again, I still wouldn't recommend doing this while in motion, simply because that might be considered a "distraction".

If it appeals, the company could even invest in little uniforms, and have puppets dressed as bus conductors, who would welcome the kids on board. Makes me think of Glen Hester and his hilarious police pig puppet....
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8363 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Sorry "H.D." I cannot agree with your premise. Maybe you are just kidding. (I note the words: "to me" and, "entertain myself" in your post.)

I'll return later today to explain my philosophy.
randyburtis
View Profile
Inner circle
1257 Posts

Profile of randyburtis
Potty,thst is a fun and creative way...thanks!
Randy Burtis
Calgary's Kid Show Magician
www.calgarymagician.com
www.Facebook.com/calgarymagician
A Show By Joe
View Profile
Veteran user
Long Island
398 Posts

Profile of A Show By Joe
Are the kids guaranteed to stay seated while the driver is performing this? I think that Dick is right. Presentation is going to be big, and take time. What diagnosis is in your heading of special needs?
randyburtis
View Profile
Inner circle
1257 Posts

Profile of randyburtis
Wide range...autism,physical disabilities, downs,etc...there won't be magic in the van,but rather when trying to get the kids into the van or to leave...
Randy Burtis
Calgary's Kid Show Magician
www.calgarymagician.com
www.Facebook.com/calgarymagician
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
3286 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Quote:
On Aug 20, 2014, randyburtis wrote:
Wide range...autism,physical disabilities, downs,etc...there won't be magic in the van,but rather when trying to get the kids into the van or to leave...

Randy, when you listed the various special needs, I didn't see "MAGICIAN" listed
gmsmagic1
View Profile
Elite user
405 Posts

Profile of gmsmagic1
But seriously, I think we can all agree that performing magic while driving a vehicle is a terrible idea.

It's just not impressive enough!

If you really want to wow the passengers, try juggling while driving.

When the officer pulls you over and asks why you drove through the red light at the intersection, imagine his confusion when you respond "sorry officer, but I dropped my balls".

- Gary
wwhokie1
View Profile
Elite user
488 Posts

Profile of wwhokie1
I find that when the speedometer hits 100 mph that you have the complete attention of all passengers - and maybe a few others.
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
3286 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Quote:
On Aug 23, 2014, gmsmagic1 wrote:
But seriously, I think we can all agree that performing magic while driving a vehicle is a terrible idea.

It's just not impressive enough!

If you really want to wow the passengers, try juggling while driving.

When the officer pulls you over and asks why you drove through the red light at the intersection, imagine his confusion when you respond "sorry officer, but I dropped my balls".

- Gary

Gary, you need to do as I did to perfect your craft, buy a bus and practice driving and juggling to WOW your passengers.

An officer will never pull me over while I drive and juggle because I know how to drive while juggling and I have never dropped balls.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » One handed tricks that are highly visual... (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL