The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » New Hollingworth project (15 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1907 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
You must know that over time tapes deteriorate.
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
I have 2 of the tapes and his book. I'm a bit surprised if he includes an explanation of The Reformation in this set. Either way, I'll be telling Dan and Dave to Shut up and take my money!
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4748 Posts

Profile of emyers99
What Guy can do with a normal paperclip still blows my mind. I watched him lecture twice (back to back) and was still fooled the second time. I wish he'd release a few new items.
Illucifer
View Profile
Inner circle
1403 Posts

Profile of Illucifer
Yes, Ray, tapes do deteriorate. The point being made here about 'The Reformation' is that when Guy originally sold this back in the early 90s, he only made 50 copies available with the promise that it would never be released again. However, one could say that perhaps it only applied to that particular format, as he did detail the handling, along with some new ideas, in 'Drawing Room Deceptions'. Since it is not being released on VHS, then I suppose, technically, he has kept his word.
It's all in the reflexes.
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
I think over 20 years is a reasonable statute of limitations on a re-release especially when you think of all the people to whom "once in a lifetime" means "available again in 6 months."
I would love to see some new stuff also but I can't beleive this release would not include Reformation.
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4748 Posts

Profile of emyers99
Agreed. Hard to believe the Reformation has been around so long. I remember when it came out...and now there are about 30 piece by piece restorations on the market. It will be great to have an updated dvd detailing the original and still the best version IMO.
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
I like to learn both from books and video. In the case if The Reformation, I think video will be much easier. I've leaned it about 75%, but it is sooooo hard. I agree though, the original is still the best.
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
I like to learn both from books and video. In the case if The Reformation, I think video will be much easier. I've leaned it about 75%, but it is sooooo hard. I agree though, the original is still the best.
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1907 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
Illucifer, I was just saying that that is a good reason to get the DVDs even if you have the tapes.

The Reformation is best when performed by Hollingworth, but I'm not so sure it's best for mere mortals, such as myself. I just love to watch the guy perform.
Steven Leung
View Profile
Inner circle
found the Magic Rainbow after
1614 Posts

Profile of Steven Leung
Quote:
On Aug 17, 2014, Cardguy52 wrote:
Here's a direct quote:

"Long unavailable, Guy's classic videos, The London Collection, Routines and The Reformation have all been re-released in this fittingly bespoke set. Everything has been brought thoroughly up to date with expanded content, refinements, new material, bonus footage, interviews and much more."

So it seems like a good investment to see what kind of refinements have been made, plus what new material is offered.

I own the original VHS tapes, but this will be I must buy for me.

So the Reformation will be included at last, not limited to 50 copies back in the last century.
Most memorable moment - with Maestro Juan Tamariz & Consuelo Lorgia in FISM Busan 2018.

"Being fooled by a trick doesn't always mean they are having a good time" - Homer Liwag

https://hhpresents.com/
https://www.glitchstudiohk.com/
Illucifer
View Profile
Inner circle
1403 Posts

Profile of Illucifer
Pepka, 'The Reformation' isn't really that difficult and it's still the best piece-by-piece, real-world torn-and-restored card, in my opinion. All those that followed were either inferior in effect or method or both.
I think you'll have an easier time with it once you see the instruction given on video. It is a bit taxing to read the description, though not as taxing as some other things, to be sure.

I'll go out on a limb here (and likely get flamed) and say that I don't find Guy's performance of 'The Reformation' to be as smooth as it can be. It is very, very good, of course, but there are moments where he's tends to 'mug' the cards and move quickly, when a gentle touch and consistently paced movement looks much better and more graceful, and no less deceptive in the context of proper routining. I've been doing this piece since the early 90s and it really can be a beautiful piece, choreographed to music even, if one likes.
Bob_Hummer
View Profile
Special user
842 Posts

Profile of Bob_Hummer
I love this trick and have spent a lot of time thinking about it.

It would be great to see a video of your performance. Even if it was just one that you pulled down after a couple of days.

You said you perform this trick to music? That is an interesting choice. Since I feel patter is essential to cover some of the moves in this trick.

The patter Hollingworth uses is cleverly designed to cover some awkward moments and to justify the exact actions needed for the method.

The presentation that Hollingworth uses fits his Hugh Grant/friendly persona. But it doesn't fit other people as well. So - the problem is how do you change the patter to fit your own style? It is trickier than it looks since the exact wording that Hollingworth uses really does help justify some of the moves in the trick.

It is hard to adapt the patter without losing the moments which help disguise the method.

And with those issues in mind - I long ago decided that performing the trick to music wasn't the best solution. Since the patter helps provide 'smoke' at certain moments in the method.

Which is why I am interested in your approach.

I should add that this trick is more of a parlour effect than a close-up effect. Some of the movements involved better fit a parlour environment than the more informal conditions of close-up magic.

These are just some of the thoughts I have had about the trick. But - I am sure others have solutions that I haven't considered.
AznSAmagic
View Profile
New user
Toronto, Canada
93 Posts

Profile of AznSAmagic
Got the VHS's and the book. Would be nice to have them in DVD. Wonder what the DnD price gonna be Smile
Cerca Trova
Illucifer
View Profile
Inner circle
1403 Posts

Profile of Illucifer
Hi Bob!

I do not perform this piece to music. Never have. But, I'm quite certain that I could do it effectively either silently or to music.
I agree that this is best as a spoken performance, though I'm partial to that with most things, even grand illusion. I also concur that it's best suited to parlor, or even stage, though I have done this in close-up, and even one-on-one, on a few occasions.

There's actually a really nice alternate take on the 2nd restoration in Guy's book. He doesn't use it (at least, I've never seen him do so, and he didn't when I saw his live show), but it's very nice. There is a trade-off in that you cannot show the back of the card after the piece is restored, as you can with the original handling, but I think it's a small point, really. And what's nice is that it eliminates what I consider to be the dodgiest part of the handling.
The 2nd piece restores and - bam! - you are immediately in position to do the final piece. I like it a lot, though I still often use the original handling.
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
I should rephrase myself a bit. It's not that I think it's extremely difficult, it's extremely difficult to LEARN from the book. I have learned it, but not to the point of performance, and then I put it aside and come back to it, and have to start over. I think this will be much easier to learn. VERY curious on the price.
SmittyWitty
View Profile
Veteran user
Fairhaven, MA
325 Posts

Profile of SmittyWitty
I guess everyone will find out tonight at 8PM PDT.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
$150 Smile

No surprise.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
mrmagik68
View Profile
Special user
NYC
574 Posts

Profile of mrmagik68
So, what do you guys think at $150 for this collection? I was thinking, perhaps if they threw in a copy of his book, Drawing Room Deceptions, with the collection it might have more buyer appeal in terms of its value. Your thoughts?

Roberto
Original Card Clinician
Daren
View Profile
Inner circle
2051 Posts

Profile of Daren
Is Murphy's distributing this?
CarlMcCoy
View Profile
Elite user
465 Posts

Profile of CarlMcCoy
Quote:
On Aug 23, 2014, mrmagik68 wrote:
So, what do you guys think at $150 for this collection? I was thinking, perhaps if they threw in a copy of his book, Drawing Room Deceptions, with the collection it might have more buyer appeal in terms of its value. Your thoughts?

Roberto

I think the fact that it's limited to 1,000 copies and has obviously had a fair amount of time and work put into the packaging and overall design makes the price tag reasonable enough. It's obviously something to kept out on a shelf and admired along with actually being of use. I'm thinking of picking one up but do really want to buy the book as well...so I can see where you're coming from.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » New Hollingworth project (15 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL