The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Best Mentalism effect you've ever seen? (74 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2720 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
Sorry this is a little off topic but certainly worthy. There was a few of us in Howie Schwartzman's room at the Washington Hilton for the IBM Convention in 1977. This is by far the best trick I have ever seen period. Howie retired to bathroom and ask us to give him 5/10 minutes and then come into the bathroom. We went in there and he was totally gone. No windows, no closets, no drop ceilings, no other doors. He was just gone. It was an amazing thing. After we all walked out, here comes Howie.
"The New York Papers," Mark Twain once said,"have long known that no large question is ever really settled until I have been consulted; it is the way they feel about it, and they show it by always sending to me when they get uneasy. "
Seethings
View Profile
Elite user
435 Posts

Profile of Seethings
James Dean used to do the same thing. I have read about it in one of Jon Racherbaumer's Magic Magazine columns.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
I like the one with the 21 cards best...
I've asked to be banned
cheesewrestler
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1157 Posts

Profile of cheesewrestler
Quote:
On Mar 12, 2015, Steven Conner wrote:
Sorry this is a little off topic but certainly worthy. There was a few of us in Howie Schwartzman's room at the Washington Hilton for the IBM Convention in 1977. This is by far the best trick I have ever seen period. Howie retired to bathroom and ask us to give him 5/10 minutes and then come into the bathroom. We went in there and he was totally gone. No windows, no closets, no drop ceilings, no other doors. He was just gone. It was an amazing thing. After we all walked out, here comes Howie.

Ken Allen did the same thing at the Statler during the 1952 SAM convention in Boston.
Ben Blau
View Profile
Inner circle
1475 Posts

Profile of Ben Blau
I was fooled by the majority of effects presented in Max's VideoMind. I still think it's one of the best resources available for mentalists.
OTTOEMEZZO
View Profile
Special user
544 Posts

Profile of OTTOEMEZZO
"Tres" (which includes my signature "no touch" version of PK Touches) is the best I've ever seen. ;-)

Just kidding. I would say that Derren Brown's effects are definitely up there. Also, the Watch effect by Osterlind is quite impossible. Finally, Jerome Finley's work is very impressive as well and quite impossible to backtrack.

-Vlad
"The Swan Song" is my last release to the mentalism community. Only a few copies remain!

"Unholy Grail" is now available! Features Perfected Day for Any Date, Ultimate PK Touches, Triple Drawing Duplication, and The Presence (my ghost effect)! Everything is 100% prop-less!

"Tres" LIMITED EDITION e-Book contains my signature "No Touches" PK Touches! Now SOLD OUT!

"Reverie" is for sale! Features extremely strong, 100% prop-less mentalism effects!

"Secret Files" is NOW AVAILABLE directly through me. Contains the EASIEST DAY FOR ANY DATE version!!!
DocBenWiz
View Profile
Special user
Meridian, Idaho
991 Posts

Profile of DocBenWiz
A "Brainbuster" TV show special effect by Dunninger, a drawing duplication of what an airline pilot had drawn in real time in the cockpit, while flying some hundreds or thousandsof miles from the theater!
Everything Dunninger did impressed me, but that is the only one
specific effect that I have never forgotten.
Smile Smile
"Pay no attention to that strange man behind the curtain" (it's only "Doc Benjamin from the Amazing Wizardelia Wagon")
DocBenWiz
View Profile
Special user
Meridian, Idaho
991 Posts

Profile of DocBenWiz
Quote:
On Mar 12, 2015, DocBenWiz wrote:
A "Brainbuster" TV show special effect by Dunninger, a drawing duplication of what an airline pilot had drawn in real time in the cockpit, while flying some hundreds or thousandsof miles from the theater!
Everything Dunninger did impressed me, but that is the only one
specific effect that I have never forgotten.
Smile Smile

A close second would be, Al Koran doing his Medallion effect on an Ed Sullivan Sunday night TV show,..never forgot that and at the time had no idea how it was done.
"Pay no attention to that strange man behind the curtain" (it's only "Doc Benjamin from the Amazing Wizardelia Wagon")
YellowThorn
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of YellowThorn
So I'm new to the concept of mentalism but it appears on this thread that the Lottery Illusion by Nate Staniforth falls under this category. I think his trick is definitely one of the craziest I've seen in this realm. I am so curious how anything like that can be done!
FJR
View Profile
Regular user
London
129 Posts

Profile of FJR
Quote:
On Aug 23, 2014, Stunninger wrote:
Derren Brown's The Oracle Act in Evening of Wonders. Brilliantly performed.

Yes. So many of his pieces over the years could be chosen really, as they are masterclasses of performance, expertise and creativity, but the Oracle Act is brilliantly done - such a powerful and dramatic piece. Mind-boggling stuff.

Best,
Francis
Flaneur / Gentleman Amateur
Member of the I.B.M - Ring 25
Max Hazy
View Profile
Special user
543 Posts

Profile of Max Hazy
Derren Brown's The Oracle Act in Evening of Wonders for me too. Derren Brown is my model of what a mentalist should look/be/say/do.

But I love when performance pieces change the way I look at something. Docc Hilford's Para Opticalism is what made me include several versions of Card Calling in my repertoire (I never used it before that). Most recently, Jan Foster's "Under Test Conditions" made me come-up with a different way to achieve the same thing, with 2 additional advantages. So it's hard to me to define what I would consider the "best" thing I've ever seem. It could be taken as best performance, best plot, best method... or simply the thing that changed you the most after you watched it. Who knows...

In my case it was a very slow progress. The more I digged, the bigger the excitement. But if I had to name a single effect, it would have to be a Q&A style act. This can be done with questions, pictures, cards, objects, etc... even nothing at all.
"Your method is in my opinion the very best way to do Q&A"
Millard Longman

"Max has pushed some less known and seldom used principles a huge step forward"
Jan Forster

Arcane Grimoires Vol 1- http://www.maxhazy.com/arcane-grimoires/apocryphal-reach/

Arcane Grimoires Vol 2- http://www.maxhazy.com/Codex-Mentis/
bevbevvybev
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2674 Posts

Profile of bevbevvybev
I once completely impressed myself by knowing my own mind.

Didn't last more than a few seconds though.
casco1
View Profile
New user
97 Posts

Profile of casco1
Enigma finale is amazing. In its simplicity it is a perfect example of entertainment and its climax kills!
Sudo Nimh
View Profile
Inner circle
1879 Posts

Profile of Sudo Nimh
Ugggh. More one-sentence carpet bombing to reach 50 posts...
dooblehorn
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburg, CA
2482 Posts

Profile of dooblehorn
Quote:
On Aug 18, 2014, Galileo wrote:
I think what always impressed me about the lottery ticket illusion was not only how quickly he pulled it out of his wallet but also how freely it was displayed by the cameras and that he even had a spectator standing right next to him and let them look at it so closely.

I agree with others, Nate's Lottery Illusion really made an impression on me. And when I went through his instructions for this, I was just mind-blown.
Forty Six & 2
View Profile
Regular user
Three cheers and some toasts for my
107 Posts

Profile of Forty Six & 2
Nothing blew my mind more than the first time I saw Richard Osterlind's watch routine! A thing of real beauty Smile
Ask, knock and seek
Lior
View Profile
Inner circle
1962 Posts

Profile of Lior
I saw Chan Canasta 40 years ago on Israeli TV
diing the book test. Then I saw him live.
Until today no one does it like he did.
I started traditional mentalism in 1986 and
could understand most of the plots but in 1992
Tim Conover came to Israel and killed everyone
with his newspaper prediction.

Lior
The Lior Touch
https://1amagic.com/
PEA Dave Lederman Award 2009
PEA Dunninger Award 2001
Life Time Achivmeant IUPA 2016
Stunninger
View Profile
Inner circle
2827 Posts

Profile of Stunninger
The first time I saw Kreskin do his Q&A on TV. Then when I saw Richard Osterlind do his Q&A. Not having any idea at the time how this was done, both performances utterly amazed me. Both Kreskin and Osterlind seemed to possess the power to perceive thoughts from anyone in the audience. I will always remember the truly magical feeling this gave me.
Louigi Verona
View Profile
New user
Germany
12 Posts

Profile of Louigi Verona
Maybe this will sound weird, since people here mention extremely grand effects, like the Oracle an Q&A and such, but my favourite effects in mentalism are a little geeky and involve simple objects.

This effect that Derren Brown does, specifically at 2.40, when there is a whole room of objects and someone picks one object and then DB shows them the prediction.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2yHH_xFdR8

I just love this effect. I have no idea how he did it, but the aesthetics of this kind of performance are just speaking to me. You know, the wonder of raw choice. The spectator walking around this museum of items. I really like that.
thethirteensteps
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of thethirteensteps
I saw Osterlind once when he was on fire with his Q&A and it was epic.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Best Mentalism effect you've ever seen? (74 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL